PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Gravestorm

av310
06-29-2009, 03:00 AM
I was bored and sitting around so i decided to try and come up with a combo. I came up with looping Priest of Gix with Recurring Nightmare then dropping Bitter Ordeal to deck them with Gravestorm. Now, a hundred other people may have came up with this combo but i couldn' t really find it, or a list for a deck built around it, anywhere so i decided I'd build a deck around it, and here it is.

//Lands
4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Polluted Delta
8 Swamp

//Creatures
4 Priest of Gix
4 Dark Confidant

//Spells
4 Chrome Mox
4 Dark Rituals
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Night's Whisper
4 Phyrexian Arena
4 Recurring Nightmare
4 Bitter Ordeal

Card Choices
-Dark Confidant/Night's Whisper/Phyrexian Arena - Best black draw I could think of. The deck deffinetly needs help drawing into combo pieces.
-Chrome Mox/City of Traitors/Ancient Tomb/Dark Ritual - These all facilitate turn 1 (or 2) wins. Also gives me turn 1 Chalice at 1.
-Chalice of the Void - Always set at 1, too stop disruption and more importantly stops Extirpate, which instatly beats me.(or the Top half of CounterTop)
-Polluted Delta/Bloodstained Mire - Its kinda obvious but they thin my library so i can find the combo.
-Priest of Gix/Recurring Nightmare/Bitter Ordeal - Its the combo.

I played 2 matches on MWS and won the 1st game 2-0 (got lucky and won a game turn 1) and lost 1-2 to Eva Green.(I lost game 2 and 3 to Extirpate)

I realize I have no backup plan, and I realize thats a bad thing, but i have no idea what to do for a backup plan.

Should I be running tutors instead of card draw?
Should I be running Phyrexian Altar/Nether Traitor combo as an alternative sac outlet?
Should I be running Bridge from Below as an alternative win con?
Should I be running Tendrils of Agony as an alternative win con?
Should I try all of that and make this a deck than runs like 3 interlocking combos?
Should I even try to run this deck at all?

If i added all of that ^ i think the list would llook like this

//Lands
4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Polluted Delta
8 Swamp

//Creatures
4 Priest of Gix
4 Nether Traitor

//Spells
4 Grim Tutor
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Recurring Nightmare
4 Bitter Ordeal
4 Phyrexian Altar
4 Tendrils of Agony
4 Bridge from Below

Of course, then im left without draw and with only 4 tutors. I'm guessing the ideal build would land somewhere in between, where that is, however, i do not know.

GreenOne
06-29-2009, 03:49 AM
The combo only works if you already have a Priest in the grave, and a second Priest to play, cause you have to declare the target for Nightmare before you're paying the cost (sac the critter).

It's a 4 card combo, so it should not work unless it's a secondary win condition (sort of oops, I win!). I'd add more creatures, maybe with CIP effect, since you're already running Recurring and build a recurring nightmare deck. Tendrils should probably be your win condition: at least you can tendrils your opponent for 4-6 with spare rituals / chalices / moxes to finish him, and draw some life meanwhile, where Gravestorm is simply bad without the combo.

av310
06-29-2009, 04:04 AM
The combo only works if you already have a Priest in the grave, and a second Priest to play, cause you have to declare the target for Nightmare before you're paying the cost (sac the critter).

It's a 4 card combo, so it should not work unless it's a secondary win condition (sort of oops, I win!). I'd add more creatures, maybe with CIP effect, since you're already running Recurring and build a recurring nightmare deck. Tendrils should probably be your win condition: at least you can tendrils your opponent for 4-6 with spare rituals / chalices / moxes to finish him, and draw some life meanwhile, where Gravestorm is simply bad without the combo.

I thought you declared targets after you pay costs. Had it backwards. My bad.

But yeah, i like your idea of making it an aggro combo deck with a Recurring Nightmare engine that uses the combo with Tendrils in a clutch.