PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Jack, the Natural Dominator

eq.firemind
07-01-2009, 04:46 AM
There was an article about unplayed mana sources somewhere at the Source, and one of them was a very funny little guy:

Orcish Lumberjack :r:
Creature -- Orc
<Tap>, sacrifice a Forest: add 3 mana of any combination of :r: and :g: to your mana pool.
1/1

Many people liked this dude and tried to make a deck around him, me too, so here it is:

Jack, the Nature Dominator

LANDS (22)
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Taiga
14 combination of Forests, Mountains, Stomping Grounds and red/green fetchlands - Dunno the numbers (just made the deck), but we need red mana AND Forest subtype...

1-DROPS (11)
4 Noble Hierarch - better than both Llanowar Elves and Birds of Paradise
4 Orcish Lumberjack - The reason I made this deck
3 Greater Gargadon - We need some dangerous 1-drop and you'll see some nice synergies below
2 Rancor - Good card, makes our small dudes scarier.

2-DROPS (7)
4 Tarmogoyf - yes sir, we need this one
3 Living Wish - dunno here, but it must be an answer-to-alomost-everything card. Wish looks fine...

3-DROPS (6)
3 Kitchen Finks - they are nice by themselves and great with Gargadon and Rancor
3 Ohran Viper - dunno here, Viper seems to be better...

4-DROPS (10)
3-2 Sarkhan Vol - He acts like Fires of Yavimaya, he steals dudes (for Gargadon :wink:), opponent must deal with him or it's DRAGONS!! time :cool:
2-3 Garruk Wildspeaker - Creates beaters, accelerates us (we are often low on lands thanks to 'Jack), Overrun is good in a deck full of creatures.
4 Natural Balance - The reason I made the deck.

5-DROPS (3)
3 Dominus of Fealty - He-he, I'll take your Forest and CUT IT (and I'm sure you have one 'cause Tarmo is so great card :wink:)! Or I'll take your <insert name here> and FEED MY PET GARGADON!! And the deck is capable of land me on 2-3 turn!

SIDEBOARD
3 Krosan Grip - surprised?? :wink:
3 Vexing Shusher - against all blue decks, wishable.
4 Trinisphere - against Combo (but still very low chances), Burn and some other decks. Trini looks better 'cause we have nice chances to land it on turn 2, it's almost harmless for us and it hurts Dredge.
1 Dominus of Fealty - Wishable prankster
1 Greater Gargadon - Wishable beef
1 Viridian Zealot - Wishable disenchant, maybe Wickerbough Elder here?
1 Loaming Shaman - Wishable GY hate
1 Spitebellows - Wishable tarmokiller, looks weak, but what else?

The deck has 2 ways of win:
1) Straightforward accelerated beats (2-3 costed dudes, Rancor, Exalted, Gargadon lurking in shadows :smile:)
2) Jack-powered 2-turn Planeswalker or Dominus or Natural Balance => Planeswalker and if opponent will not answer this quick, he's dead.

Natural Balance is mostly a one-sided effect 'cause our curve is designed to use that mana and many top-tier decks don't run more than 2-3 basics. The card is also not bad against slow control decks in lategame 'cause you can return the match into mid-game state, where you rule.

I use Hierarch over Birds 'cause the only spell where you can't invest :g: is Dominus, but Hierarch pruduces :u: too.

I tried to run many 5-costed monsters like Deus of Calamity to land them on T2 with Jack, but it was epic fail because of Daze and cheap removal, so I left only Dominus 'cause his synergy with sacrifice effects creates card advantage. Planeswalkers are much harder to deal with and if you cast them on turn 2 with 'Jack's help, you don't fear Daze anymore.

Deck's strategy is 'cool', leads to great card disadvantage if they counter the spell, combo MU looks like autolose, so unfortunately it belongs to the Casual Forum. But it is very fun to play, so I seek the ways to improve this deck and maybe (dreams... :smile:) make it closer to Tier 2.

Any help will be great!

EDIT: Some more cards I'll test:
Rakka Mar - token generator, those tokens are great with Rancor and Gargadon.
Goblin Assault - token generator, tokens are great with Rancor and Gargadon.
Master of the Wild Hunt(new M10 mythic rare) - a sort of creature removal, token generator.
Spawnwrithe - should be great with Rancor, Exalted and/or Sarkhan's bump.

rufus
07-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Something to consider is going with BRG to play with Rain of Filth or Squandered Resources, or running New Frontiers in addition to Natural Balance. In more competitive play, your opponent is likely to run out of basic lands or places to use his mana pretty quickly.

Your gameplan involves sacking land, so Terravore seems worth considering.