PDA

View Full Version : Tendrils combo



Xentra
09-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't know if this idea is already been discussed in a thread, otherwise we could work on a build in this thread. I'd like to know what the rest thinks of the deck, or how we can improve it.
Also some Idea's for the sideboard are welcome.

--- Draw (28) ---

- 4x Chromatic Spere
- 4x Chromatic Star
- 4x Darkwater Egg
- 4x Mossfire Egg
- 4x Shadowblood Egg
- 4x Street Wraith
- 4x Sungrass Egg

--- Combo (11) ---

- 3x Spoils of the vault
- 4x Helm of Awakening
- 3x Tendrils of Agony
- 1x Disciple of the Vault

--- Acceleration (4) ---

- 4x Dark Ritual

--- Mana (17) ---

- 4x Lotus Petal
- 4x Elvish Spirit Guide
- 4x Land Grant
- 3x Bayou
- 2x Swamp



--- Sideboard (15) ---


The point of the deck is to get a Helm of Awakining (or Cloud Key) in play and cast as much Eggs / Chromatics as possible. You can either choose to kill with tendrils or make sure Disciple of the Vault is in play.

Best Regards, and I'm looking forward to your input!

Xentra

Jeff Kruchkow
09-17-2009, 11:30 AM
reminds me of fluctuator in that ideally you just cycle through to good cards. however, this is worse because you cant cycle your lands and i forsee several situations where you are cantriping eggs and then get a hand full of not-tendrils and proceed to lose. Second sunrise would help with this, and I think adding more disciple of the vault as a secondary win would help. Also, Id drop spoils for a set of etherium sculptor.

Skeggi
09-17-2009, 11:36 AM
I guess a deck like this would want to run Manamorphose? I'm not sure if it's possible with the mana...

Mystical_Jackass
09-17-2009, 12:30 PM
LOL This deck is dope as hell. And pretty budget too, have you playtested it.. how consistent is it?

THoughtcast or Ancient Tomb find a place in the deck?

DragoFireheart
09-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Fit Manamorphose in there somewhere.

BreathWeapon
09-17-2009, 01:34 PM
You'll need 4 Tendrils of Agony and 4 Cabal Ritual for certain, Eggsplosion more or less relies on redundancy.

Dormant Seer
09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
If it doesn't twist the concept, Sensei's divining top probably deserves a shot as a playset.
It can prevent you from fizzling, provided you have sufficient mana. And 2 of them with either Helm of Awakening or Etherium Sculptor will give you the Storm count you want...

Xentra
09-17-2009, 06:43 PM
An idea for a blue list

--- Draw (24) ---

- 4x Chromatic Spere
- 4x Chromatic Star
- 4x Darkwater Egg
- 4x Shadowblood Egg
- 4x Street Wraith
- 4x Sensei's Divining Top (or another egg)

--- Draw (8) ---

- 4x Index
- 4x Brainstorm


--- Combo (11) ---

- 4x Etherium Sculptor
- 4x Helm of Awakening
- 3x Tendrils of Agony

--- Acceleration (4) ---

- 4x Dark Ritual

--- Mana (13) ---

- 4x Lotus Petal
- 4x Polluted Delta
- 1x Bloodstained Mire
- 4x Underground Sea



Thanks for the feedback, and feel free to post more ideas !

Xentra

lorddotm
09-17-2009, 06:47 PM
--- Draw (28) ---

- 4x Chromatic Spere
- 4x Chromatic Star
- 4x Darkwater Egg
- 4x Mossfire Egg
- 4x Shadowblood Egg
- 4x Street Wraith
- 4x Sungrass Egg

--- Combo (11) ---

- 3x Cloud Key
- 4x Helm of Awakening
- 4x Tendrils of Agony

--- Mana (21) ---

- 4x Manamorphose
- 4x Lotus Petal
- 4x Elvish Spirit Guide
- 3x Simic Spirit Guide
- 4x Ancient Tomb
- 2x Crystal Vein

This looks a bit faster, and a bit harder to stall out.

chokin
09-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Sunny Side Up is the original deck I think. Mostly played in Extended, it ran Cunning Wish to grab itself Brain Freeze or Second Sunrise or answers.

BF is twice as much storm, but I do like the power of Wish in this deck, plus you can double BF them.

The worst enemy of the deck is Chalice of the Void or Trinisphere. Wish helps because you could Wish for Rebuild and cast that in game one.

Pulp_Fiction
09-17-2009, 09:21 PM
This actually looks really fun, but here is what needs to be considered when playing combo. Why would you play a deck like this when you can play DDFT, TES, or ANT? There really isn't a reason to. Storm combo decks, in order to be different, need to bring something new to the table or have some specific area that they accel in. If you want a deck based on pure speed there is no reason to not play Belcher or old school SI. If you want consistency play DDFT or ANT.

Now, if you are building the deck for budget reasons I totally understand, or if you want to get your feet wet in legacy combo I would suggest Belcher. But decks like this don't mulligan well, are super easily disrupted, and fall victim to the exact same cards + more that established combo lists do. There are no merits to playing this over any other combo deck. If you want to play combo and be competetive there simply is not a budget version of any that exist; aside from Dredge but its tough to classify that deck. I would highly recommend looking into Belcher since it is relatively cheap compared to other combo and once you own that deck you only have to spend a little more money and you can build TES.

Xentra
09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I have a complete SI deck, but I was thinking of making something new, something that stuns your opponent when he sees you combo'ing out.
The deck doesn't have to be as good as ANT or TES, and since it's not running protection in the maindeck it's hight likely to fizzle, but anyway, it's fun to play!

regards

Xentra

BreathWeapon
09-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Also, I'd just run Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors as your lands, you'll be able to cast and resolve your chromatics/eggs and Helm of Awakening off 1 land, plus I think Defense Grid becomes a serious option then.

I'm 100% positive Cabal Ritual is mandatory, BBBBB = Spoils into Tendrils 4TW.

HPB_Eggo
09-18-2009, 10:46 AM
They're unbanning Metalworker. You should run it.

Also, Rebuild can help you achieve some ridiculous storm count without having to crack your eggs at all, so I would run that as well. It also helps get rid of hate cards, so it's generally pretty good.