View Full Version : Exalted Angel and Lifelink
AngryTroll
10-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I know that Lifelink isn't a cumulative abiltiy anymore. Exalted Angel's Oracle wording doesn't say Lifelink, however, leaving me with two questions (glad M10 cleared up the confusion about Lifelink!).
First, when do I gain life when Exalted Angel deals damage? If I'm at one, and I block one Squire, but a second one is unblocked, do I die? Is this the case if I block with Baneslayer Angel?
If I toss a Lifelink onto Exalted Angel, do I gain 4 life or 8 life when she deals damage?
What about a Mirroden Loxodon Warhammer? Good luck explaining that to someone that just plays casually or hasn't played in a while.
Roman Candle
10-14-2009, 04:18 PM
First, when do I gain life when Exalted Angel deals damage?
You deal 4 damage and gain 4 life at the same time. No stacking of life gain.
If I'm at one, and I block one Squire, but a second one is unblocked, do I die?
If your blocking with something that has life link that deals 1 damage or more you will not die.
Is this the case if I block with Baneslayer Angel?
Baneslayer has first strike so you will gain 5 life during baneslayer's first strike damage.
If I toss a Lifelink onto Exalted Angel, do I gain 4 life or 8 life when she deals damage?
As far as I know, life link isn't accumulative anymore. Lifelink on exalted angel will gain you 4 life.
What about a Mirrodon Loxodon Warhammer?
Only one instance of life link. Multiples don't do anything. Remember that.
Good luck explaining that to someone that just plays casually or hasn't played in a while.
Who cares you should be smashing them anyway.
Actually, Exalted Angel doesn't have lifelink. With the M10 changes, they also returned the "Whenever ~ deals damage, gain that much life" wording to all cards that were errata'ed to have lifelink. So therefore, Exalted Angel and cards like it without lifelink have it as a triggered ability. You will die to the two Squires. And you can add Lifelink to it with something that gives lifelink, but you can't give it two more Lifelinks. So, a dozen Armadillo Cloaks would give you a dozen triggers, but a thousand Lifelinks (the card from M10) wouldn't do more than one, plus Exalted's normal trigger.
Rockout is wrong. Exalted Angel doesn't have lifelink, it has "Whenever ~ deals damage, you gain that much life". So, if two Squires attack, and you're at one, you will die because the triggered ability doesn't give you life before the damage is dealt. If you give Exalted Angel lifelink, you will gain 8 life (first 4 when damage is dealt, and another 4 when the triggered ability resolves).
Loxodon Warhammer's most recent printing (in Xth and Planechase) gives lifelink, and its Oracle wording is based on that, so that's what it does, even if it's Mirrodin's Loxodon Warhammer
AngryTroll
10-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Loxodon Warhammer's most recent printing (in Xth and Planechase) gives lifelink, and its Oracle wording is based on that, so that's what it does, even if it's Mirrodin's Loxodon Warhammer
I knew that it didn't matter which edition the Warhammer was, but man, that's awkward to have your Warhammer and Angel gain life in different ways even though the text is the same (on the old version).
I forgot that Baneslayer had First Strike. If your opponent gave his Squires First Strike, would you die? I believe the answer is no.
I'm really pleased to realize that Armadillo Cloak still works in the more awesome way. Not that it actually, you know, matters, but it's still better as triggered and not Lifelink most of the time (except when facing lethal Squires).
Thanks.
Hmm, this is an interesting question. Can you die from first strike damage, before a lifelink from normal damge gives you life?
Lets Stay near the first example: When I get attacked with 2 Silver Knights while beeing at one life and I've got an untapped Rhox War Monk blocking one Knight, do I die?
Raider Bob
10-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Hmm, this is an interesting question. Can you die from first strike damage, before a lifelink from normal damge gives you life?
Lets Stay near the first example: When I get attacked with 2 Silver Knights while beeing at one life and I've got an untapped Rhox War Monk blocking one Knight, do I die?
The Simple awnser is Yes you Die. Due to First strike damage is done WAY before Rhox does anydamage to have lifelink work.
parallax
10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Yes. The important thing here is that players get priority (and therefore state-based actions are checked) between first strike and normal damage. Otherwise, how could a first strike creature kill a normal creature without receiving damage itself?
HdH_Cthulhu
10-15-2009, 02:17 PM
So just to clarify, all cards with the old "whenever-wording" stay the same until they get reprinted?
parallax
10-15-2009, 02:41 PM
So just to clarify, all cards with the old "whenever-wording" stay the same until they get reprinted?
Here's what happened: There used to be cards that said "Whenever ~this~ deals damage, you gain that much life." Wizards decided to call that ability "lifelink". All cards with that ability were errataed to say "lifelink" instead. Some of those cards were reprinted with the word "lifelink" on them. Other new cards were printed that said "lifelink". Then, Wizards decided that "lifelink" should mean something else. Wizards policy is that the latest printed wording is the one they go by. So cards whose latest printing said "lifelink" have lifelink. Cards whose latest printing said "Whenever ~this~ deals damage, you gain that much life." revert back to that instead. Future reprints should read however they currently read in Oracle.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.