PDA

View Full Version : Storming to Second Place - Eli's 10/17/09

Bryant Cook
10-18-2009, 05:11 PM
http://theepicstorm.com/jupiter-games-1k-event-09-19-2009-1st-place

Ciberon
10-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Nice report. How many players were there for you to recieve 150 for getting second?

Wargoos
10-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Grats mate, mimi tendrils ftw like always!
@post above: 40+*

Getsickanddie
10-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Your game three vs. Bant was simply amazing. Congrats on another impressive finish.

TheBirdMan
10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Nice report, I wasn't there which probably contributed to your success but good job nonetheless.

yawg07
10-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Good work man, glad to see TES still putting down numbers!

J.V.
10-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Congrats Bryant, excellent report as always!

BackDr0p
10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
I have to say congrats on your 2nd place finish. Like GetSickAndDie mentioned, "EPIC" game three against Bant. Ripping wins like that make me love the deck.

The only questions I have are concerning the SB plans you made against Merfolk and Ultimate Walker. What was the reason for siding out Mystical Tutors as opposed to the regular BS and Ponder? Why did you keep the 4th Mox in against Ultimate Walker?

Bryant Cook
10-18-2009, 10:46 PM
I have to say congrats on your 2nd place finish. Like GetSickAndDie mentioned, "EPIC" game three against Bant. Ripping wins like that make me love the deck.

The only questions I have are concerning the SB plans you made against Merfolk and Ultimate Walker. What was the reason for siding out Mystical Tutors as opposed to the regular BS and Ponder? Why did you keep the 4th Mox in against Ultimate Walker?

Because I don't like to board out initial mana sources when I'm boarding out IGG. Mystical Tutor is weak. There's no singletons that you need to fetch against blue decks. Brainstorms and Ponders are better for stabilizing and sculpting your hands.

Jeff Kruchkow
10-18-2009, 10:50 PM
You sir, have go to be the luckiest storm combo player ever. Every report there are at least 4 games that end in "rip card X off the top to win!" Congrats on the finish.

Parcher
10-18-2009, 11:54 PM
You sir, have go to be the luckiest storm combo player ever. Every report there are at least 4 games that end in "rip card X off the top to win!" Congrats on the finish.

Don't forget the whole "never playing through Counterbalance" part either. But hey, way to smack around Zoo.

Obfuscate Freely
10-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Game Two: I keep a hand of Burning Wish, Burning Wish, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Orim’s Chant, Gemstone Mine, City of Brass.

He plays a Gaddock Teeg

I chant, it get’s forced.

o rly?

Moby Dick
10-19-2009, 05:27 AM
o rly?

Oops, to be fair i did get off work at 11, got 3 hours sleep, drove almost 300 miles to get there, and was running off an empty stomach, caffeine pills, and hatred for state troopers...

The rules god fixed the mistake with that ridiculous game 3...

Piceli89
10-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Game One: I open with Chrome Mox, Burning Wish, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Burning Wish. He opens with Tundra, go. I draw a City of Brass. I play City of Brass, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Chrome Mox (Imprint: Burning Wish), Rite of Flame, Lotus Petal, Burning Wish, Empty the Warrens. Empty the Warrens gets there.

You would have lost either to Spell Snare or Fow in there, but also EE, Wrath of God. What kind of fucking Landstill was it? And most of all, does anyone in your area play fucking White Stax or fucking Dragon Stompy? You'd get crushed by them.
However, it's amazing how reading your reports you open perfect hands, opponents never have counters when you go off protection-less (well, almost), and it seems in general that TES is really consistent. Of course, as soon as i try it out by myself i open 2-chrome mox lands or -really- shitty 7s, which makes me abandon the deck. I'm beginning to think that you can recognize your cards from their thickness (being all of them foil) and somehow stack them to always draw killer hands :wink: . Or you're just the biggest lucksack eva, and you only can play the deck. Well, i'll take the second.

...But still, cogratulations.

tsabo_tavoc
10-19-2009, 07:07 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

You would have lost either to Spell Snare or Fow in there, but also EE, Wrath of God. What kind of fucking Landstill was it? And most of all, does anyone in your area play fucking White Stax or fucking Dragon Stompy? You'd get crushed by them.
However, it's amazing how reading your reports you open perfect hands, opponents never have counters when you go off protection-less (well, almost), and it seems in general that TES is really consistent. Of course, as soon as i try it out by myself i open 2-chrome mox lands or -really- shitty 7s, which makes me abandon the deck. I'm beginning to think that you can recognize your cards from their thickness (being all of them foil) and somehow stack them to always draw killer hands :wink: . Or you're just the biggest lucksack eva, and you only can play the deck. Well, i'll take the second.

1. Wrath of God couldn't matter turn1 EtW tokens and many landstill builds are without Spell Snare. The probability of not having any FOW (4 total) in the opening 7 and not having any EE in the opening 9 (3 total) is 36%. Bryant did lose that round.
2. Not expecting Stax and Stompy builds belongs to the metagame knowledge. Obviously 2 Deathmarks have served him strictly better than 1 Shattering Spree and 1 Hurkyl's Recall.
3. I was amazed by Bryant's luck in some of his earlier reports. This time, however, it appeared to be fair enough. I had the feeling that Bryant intentionally tested Diminishing Returns which turned out to be rather mediocre. It seems that unless knowing the opponent capable of dealing with EtW tokens, EtW is a preferable wish target than Diminishing Returns, regardless of the floating mana. Bryant, would you agree on that?
4. I am as curious as you are on Bryant's secret techs. However, if there were any, it would always be kept confidantially.

RogueMTG
10-19-2009, 07:10 AM
You would have lost either to Spell Snare or Fow in there, but also EE, Wrath of God. What kind of fucking Landstill was it?...

It was the normal kind :P. To be fair it was the first turn of the game so I had no land in play for Snare or CS, unfortunately no force in hand, and I didn't draw an EE. ...14 turn 1 goblins kills you faster than Wrath of God can come down.

Congratz on the finish, I told you you'd get there anyway.

The Pharmacist
10-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Bryant your a fuck head. I don't get any props for giving you a ride home when your own team left you at Elis. Don't ask me for a ride ever again.

Bryant Cook
10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Don't forget the whole "never playing through Counterbalance" part either. But hey, way to smack around Zoo.

Thanks. I'm very proud.

I don't think there was any counterbalance decks even there. I didn't see any where I was sitting anyway.

o rly?

For sure. I should've caught that.

1.) I didn't know it was Landstill from Tundra go. But hey, you've got to roll some dice sometimes. I assumed it had Force, but he didn't.

2.) There was a Stax Variant there played by Norm (Braves bunch of numbers - he's a mod). But I don't run into bad match-ups.

3.) What can I say? I'm awesome. Also, I did my fair share of mulliganing in this event (twice to five, twice to six). I don't always open perfect hands.

4.) As for being lucky, try harder. Seriously.

Bryant your a fuck head. I don't get any props for giving you a ride home when your own team left you at Elis. Don't ask me for a ride ever again.

You charged me 10$.

The Pharmacist
10-19-2009, 10:04 AM
I charged you $10 because you won. I didn't charge Di any money, but thanks for paying for my gas. Lol

Jim Higginbottom
10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks. I'm very proud.

I don't think there was any counterbalance decks even there. I didn't see any where I was sitting anyway.

I 2-0'd what was probally the only counterbalance there in round 1 so you didn't have to play against it. :)

Parcher
10-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I have to give a huge shout out to EPIC for attempting to ditch Bryant. Try harder next time.

ParkerLewis
10-19-2009, 03:06 PM
I charged you $10 because you won. I didn't charge Di any money, but thanks for paying for my gas. Lol

Completely random, but that reminds of the end of a Magic game night at a friends' house 5-6 years ago. I was very tired and didn't want to go home by foot (plus winter, cold, etc), so I asked said friend if he could drive me home. Of course he didn't want to, but to get on my nerves and test me he added he would do it if I would pay him 20 euros. A few minutes later, I agreed. He was a bit baffled but immediately added "and you're gonna have to pay me before, smarty". To which I said okay and handed him the 20 euros.

He spent the whole trip (only like five minutes, but still) giggling about how he couldn't believe I caved and so on. Then he dropped me in front of my place, and I turned back and added "BTW, say thanks to your parents for the 20 euros". He then realized I had paid him with some of the money his parents had left for him in the living room for the weekend.

I'll forever cherish the memory of his face realizing he went out of his comfy warm house at 5 AM just so he could give me a nice free ride home and then head back like a champ, and the pleasure I felt having so simply yet so beautifully outnailed him. Ha ! Serves him right for trying to be a bitch.

NQN
10-19-2009, 03:52 PM
In round 2 where you have 5 mana after IT and go for AN, why not IGG taking IT, LED and D.Ritual? Or did you already pitch it to some mox?
Apart from that, Congratz one more time :)

Bryant Cook
10-19-2009, 04:18 PM
In round 2 where you have 5 mana after IT and go for AN, why not IGG taking IT, LED and D.Ritual? Or did you already pitch it to some mox?
Apart from that, Congratz one more time :)

I boarded it out.

Whit3 Ghost
10-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Grats on the finish, yafuck.

Space Ghost
10-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Congrats Bryant. You still lose to Turbo Land, to bad I'm to poor to play Magic...

Henrik
10-20-2009, 02:59 AM
Round 3 vs Bant Survival:

"He plays a Gaddock Teeg, swings one. I draw a Lotus Petal, Pass. He plays a Kira. I draw a City of Brass, pass. He plays a Rhox War Monk. I draw a Rite of Flame. I chant, it get’s forced"

How can anything be forced when a Teeg is on the table?

ScatmanX
10-20-2009, 07:57 AM
For sure. I should've caught that.

Henrik: RTFT