PDA

View Full Version : Animate dead



beastman
11-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Can you use animate dead, targeting a creature with shroud or protection from black and have it stay in play?

Nonex
11-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Enchant creature card in a graveyard
When Animate Dead enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, it loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Animate Dead." Return enchanted creature card to the battlefield under your control and attach Animate Dead to it. When Animate Dead leaves the battlefield, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
Enchanted creature gets -1/-0.

With that in mind, Animate Dead works in case of shroud since shroud works only while the card is on the battlefield. This target is legal on both announcement and resolution of the spell because it's in the graveyard all the time.

Protection from black prevents the creature from being enchanted by black auras, so Animate Dead reanimates the creature the same way as with shroud but can't attach itself to it and remains on the battlefield without enchanting anything, then dies as a state-based action and causes the creature to be sacrificed.

Justin
11-09-2009, 01:56 PM
[I]

Protection from black prevents the creature from being enchanted by black auras, so Animate Dead reanimates the creature the same way as with shroud but can't attach itself to it and remains on the battlefield without enchanting anything, then dies as a state-based action and causes the creature to be sacrificed.

I'm not a rules expert, but I think this is incorrect. I'm fairly certain that you can successfully get an Akroma into play with Animate Dead without having to sacrifice it. Can somebody else confirm this?

Jason
11-09-2009, 02:23 PM
In response to Animate Dead's enters-the-battlefield ability, you can Purelace it.

Needless to say, if you don't do something, Akroma is going to the graveyard because Animate Dead attaches itself to her. She's pro-black, the enchantment falls off, the leaves play ability on Animate Dead hits and Akroma is sacrificed.
See this thread:
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9021&highlight=animate+dead

cdr
11-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm not a rules expert, but I think this is incorrect. I'm fairly certain that you can successfully get an Akroma into play with Animate Dead without having to sacrifice it. Can somebody else confirm this?

No, Nonex is 100% correct. At one point in time Akroma would stay in play, but the "When Animate Dead leaves the battlefield, that creature's controller sacrifices it." clause was added specifically to prevent that.

Maybe it's a little more complicated than the average card, but it's pretty easy to figure out what happens just by reading the Oracle text of Animate Dead and understanding basic rules about protection and auras.