PDA

View Full Version : UGB Depth'still

Kanabo
11-10-2009, 10:39 PM
hello, i want to know if a UGB Depthstill deck would be competative at all. instead of dreadnaught, the combo would use vampire hexmage + Dark depths. any ideas how to get started? im currently playing Team America, and am looking for a cheap switchup.

BTW: I will be coming up with a list as soon as im done researching.

Hanni
11-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I think that running both would be a really strong idea. Both have seperate sets of weaknesses, making it harder to fight against, and some of the cards involved are actually synergistic with opposite combo pieces (like Stifle protected Dark Depth's from Wasteland).

Hexmage doesn't eat it to Krosan Grip or Qasali Pridemage like Phrexian Dreadnought does. Both Stifle Hexmage are useful on their lonesome, although Dark Depth's can tap for mana with an Urborg in play.

Honestly though, I've always had a raging boner for playing U/B/x Dreadstill with Tombstalkers (either U/B/r for Firespouts and Hydroblasts or U/B/g for Tarmogoyf's and Krosan Grips).

If the deck went U/B/x, it could drop Dreadnought for Hexmage, and then easily fit in Tombstalker because the manabase would need to support BB anyway. Toss in some maindeck Thoughtseize's, and I think there's alot of potential there.

Regardless and either way, it's an interesting idea that's definitely worth trying out.

As far as how to get it started, that's very simple. Go copy and paste any standard Dreadstill deck as a starting base.

You're going to want the Brainstorm/Top/Standstill draw package, with ponder probably being unnecessary.

You still want to keep Stifle/Wasteland, which protects Dark Depth's/destroys other manlands, while gaining some good tempo. Obviously, you have to run Mishra's Factories in order to run Standstill.

1 Urborg sounds fine, not sure how many Dark Depth's to include.

Daze, Force of Will need to be in there. Counterbalance is really strong as well. If you can fit them, Spell Snare and Thoughtseize could be very strong. Spell Pierce and Sinkhole are other interesting options.

Tombstalker is an amazing alternate win condition.

keys
11-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Well I think Confidant > Standstill if you're already playing black, which precludes Tombstalker. Smennen's UBg depths/hexmage list is probably what you're looking for if a port from Team America is what you need.

Kanabo
11-11-2009, 12:26 AM
well ugb sounds better than ubr imo because green can use goyfs, and kgrips, and also sb deeds. my list is coming along great, and it sounds fun.

btw, here is a similar thread:
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/21792997/How_about_the_Depth_instead_of_Dread_in_a_XXXXstill_deck

Bardo
11-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Closed. Lack of content. See our Site Rules (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7455), especially Part III.

Come up with a list, due some tuning/testing and feel free to start this again.