PDA

View Full Version : [Jupiter Games] 6th with Ultimate Blue

Enigma
11-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Hello guys!

Just went back from a great week-end at Vestal! We were 6 from Montreal that finally had the possibility to come. TES, DDFT, Tempo Faeries, Survival Elves and me playing the Supreme blue japanese's list with a couple of changes both MD and sideboard to fight the mirror match. Here's a report of my 6-1-1 + Top8 result.

List (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=401190&postcount=362)

We were 170 players getting there for 8 rounds + Top8.

1st Round:
Against Zac Tartle playing T.E.S.

1st Game I win die roll: I open 5 Lands + Firespout and CB. Ouch, not really good but I decide to keep as I have a feeling he might be playing some sort of combo deck and CB just could do it on the play. Land go. He goes for land duress, taking my CB. I draw something irrelevant and go. He ponder, go. I draw CB and play it. He land go, I draw into another CB and play it because I kept my fetches so it might go there. He continues to land as I don't have any pressure and drawing badly. He ends up by resolving a Ad nauseam when I had 3 on top without BS nor Top, Daze, Force... and tendrils for exactly the good amount of damage.

2nd game I side in 2x REB, 2x BEB for -2x Elspeth, -2x Swords: I have CB again in my opening + Snare and shits. I hit CB on turn 2 and he pyro it on his turn, which resolves. Next turn I play top, go. He duress me seeing shit and go off with LED LED IT. I fetch and find Snare ftw.

3rd game: I have the crazy hand of CB, Top, Force, Blue card, RWM, Land, Land. I assemble the shit and land RWM that makes my life total goes to 35.

1-0 (2-1)

2nd Round:
Against Evan playing UG Merfolk

1st game he has a game loss for a card missing in his deck and we goes for 2nd game.

2nd game: He goes 1st turn vial, 3rd turn Goyf, 4th Lord, 5th Goyf, 6th Goyf and I lost horribly.

3rd game: He mulligans to 4 into no lander and I had a good hand with firespout, RWM, Pyro, Top... I play RWM before he gets his first land and he scoops. I feel soo bad for him as I really feel that I doesn't deserve this win at all... well luck is looking good for me today.

2-0 (4-2)

3rd Round:
Against Drew playing Eva Green. He lands his deck face up when seating and I see swamp and wasteland, so I figure he's playing some sort of Suicide.

1st game I win the die roll and keep a land with Misty, Tundra, Swords, Swords, Top, Firespout, Trygon. I go for Misty into forest to avoid possible waste and land top, go. Swamp, Thoughtseize removing Trygon. Mmh, weird choice so I guess he doesn't have any pressure and not a lot of land so he's taking my only threat. I top into Land, Goyf, daze and land goyf on turn 3 while he's stuck on 2 land. I daze his sinkhole, swords both of his threat while goyf is beating and it goes there.

2nd game I don't side anything. I assemble CB while I put Goyf last turn on top with BS to hit his two drop (Hymn) and then land top, win.

3-0 (6-2)

4th Round:
Against Alix Hatfield playing zoo

1st game he wins the die roll. He has a slow hand. He lands Grim and Qasali and I force Thoctar and Firespout his board. I eventually land Elspeth and win from there.

2nd game I side in 2 Hydro, 2 Ajani, 1 Grip (for Choke) for -2 Elspeth, -3 Daze. I open a triple CB hand with RWM but he manages to goes around CB and destroying them while I'm kinda slowing the game with double RWM. He eventually has the edge when he Witness back his Pridemage to kill my last CB just after he gone for double Summoner's trap. I don't find Firespout in time and lose when we had 6 minutes remaining.

3rd game: I'm trying to control the game with Ajani and it's pretty funny has he told me after first game that it would be better than Eslpeth against him... ahahah. Anyway his goyf is big and it puts pressure but Ajani is that good that he can't take my life lower than 10.

3-0-1 (7-3)

5th Round:
Against Louis playing Pro BANT

1st game he wins the die roll. I have a really controlling hand and he's just able to put pressure with his Dryad arbor. He eventually drops a Rafiq and looks really confidant about his win at that time even against my lonely goyf. He doesn't look that much sure when I Firespout away his board, land CB top and force his next Natural Order.

2nd game I side in more 4cc spells and pyroblast (pretty sure he wasnt playing CB) and cut RWM. He goes 3rd turn Progenitus when I didn't have FOW.

3rd game. I take control and beats him early. He goes for NO on turn 5 I think and I FOW it. He forces back, I look at top 3, bad. I fetch, look at top 3... into pyroblast, nice! Continue to beat face and 2 turns later he finds another creature + NO...

Wow i hate this card.

3-1-1 (8-5)

6th Round:
Against Dan playing Aggro Bant

1st game I win the die roll. He beats my face a lot with RWM and eventually goyf. I'm down to 6 and he's at 30 and his board is: Hierarch, RWM, Goyf, CB TOP. Mine is: RWM, Goyf and Top. He fetches and I stp his goyf in response. He puts top on top but stp in response, killing his goyf and sending his top back to its library. At my turn I land Elspeth, put a token, go. He's drawing shit I think and I block with the tokens. I eventually goes for Elspeth's ultimate when I have 9 counters. At some time he stp my goyf but I have 2 indestructibles tokens for block and a flying Rhino that makes this: My life total curve: 19-18-15-10-6-5-4-8-7-13-19-22-28-27-33-39 and his: 30-29-23-17-11..., scoop. Wow, how can 1 card change the game that much?!

2nd game he mulligans. He takes me to 12 and I eventually establish control with CB top and creatures FTW.

4-1-1 (10-5)

7th Round:
Against Seb (team mate) playing the Tempo faerie list that played Spirit of the wretch for a month or so. Not really good facing each other as we cutting one from top8.

1st game he wins the die roll. We get a Deckcheck. We receive back our deck, shuffle and he opens no lander until mulliganing to 4. I win this one quite easily with CB and goyfs.

2nd game. LONGEST GAME I EVER MADE and probably the weirdest too. I know a couple of guys were watching this, it was so damn funny. We go back and forth on sweeper. Him: Perish my threats, EE and Counter my CB, Terminate my threats. Me: Grip his Bitter, Swords his Tombstalkers, Firespout his faeries. Blasting his spells. I finally sticks a Trygon when all his removal spells are already in the graveyard (ya really, 8 of them). Unfortunatly, he's still at 18 and I only have 8 cards left in my library. I deck myself when he's at 2............

3rd game. 3rd turn it goes to time (deck check + longest game ever) and he concedes to me. Thanks to him, I will give him Misty rainforest + Bayou for his friendly move.

5-1-1 (12-6)

8th Round:
Against Matt playing the same Tempo Faeries deck

1st game he wins the die roll. He mull to 6 and goes for the mana denial plan when I kept the wisely hand of: Land, Land, Land, Land, Land, Top, Stp. Yeah right, by chance I had test the MU before and knew lands were good against him. I eventually land tarmo, RWM and Elspeth FTW when he passed all his ressources on mana denial and counters on my Tops.

2nd game I side in 2 REB, 3 Grip for -2 Elspeth, -3 Daze. He mulligans again and never have the control of the game because of CB and early goyf going on. At some time I fetch and Blind flip to counter his Stp, finding a Stp myself ftw against his lonely creature. Wow.

6-1-1 (14-6)

I'm 6th before top8 and face Matt, playing Aggo BANT.

1st game I win the die roll. I counter his CB, put mine after I brainstormed away a 3cc for his eventual Clique/Predator. He lands Jitte at his turn and I must say ok... and then He confidently plays Clique but the audience scream at loud when I show him the RWM I was hiding for him. He slowly starts to lose from there as I counter 4 spells in 2 turns with a lonely but well calculated CB. I eventually land goyf and start beating.

2nd game I enter 4cc spell, Pyro and Grip for -4x RWM, -3x Daze. I have top early again but here comes my error: I really think he's playing Natural Order and I keep playing around it (sweeping his board with FS without any real pressure just to keep him of from creatures, Keeping my FOW for eventual NO...) but he just goes for the aggro route and it works for him.

3rd game. My CB never stick and my STP's are hiding. I slow the game down like 10 turns or more with back to back Ajani and still doesn't find a single spot removal for his fucking 7/8 goyf and him has infinite swords for mine.

That is how I end my day of 11 hours of magic and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Props:
+ for the greaaat tournament Eli's preparing for us.
+ Meeting the guy from the source, all of them being really kind with me except Ben Lukas when I ask him if he's J.V. (always mess up those 2 guys).
+ Seb, letting 1 of us top8
+ Murray and Seb for driving
+ David Gearhart, Zac and Adam for being nice guys!
+ Mox pearl for 6th place, that is fucking alright.
+ The tweaked CB List!
+ My-stupid-luck.
+ The Source, for being the best thing that never happened to a magic format.

Slops:
- Having to eat shits all day long at the bad restaurant there. (still better than nothing though, so I can't complain)
- Drawing poorly on top8 when I played extremely well on the first game.
- CB/Top isn't dead yet! It is so boring to play after 8 rounds of magic, but still doing crazy things.
- Meeting a team mate on round 7.
- Me, not able to do short reports
- My english and my "PUNDER-NOT-UNDERSTANDABLE-ACCENT-FOR-GUYS-LIKE-CHRIS CAPPOLA" I think there is been like 5 people telling me this story on the all day. hahaha!

Thanks again for the tournament, it was greaaat!

P-M

beastman
11-15-2009, 08:54 PM
+ Meeting the guy from the source, all of them being really kind with me except Ben Lukas when I ask him if he's J.V. (always mess up those 2 guys).

Dude, that was seriously the funniest thing I heard all tournament. The look on Ben's face was awesome.

goobafish
11-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Congrats on the finish. It was nice meeting you.

freakish777
11-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Congrats. I take it Elspeth usually makes your Rhox War Monk do 6 flying damage?

Enigma
11-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Congrats. I take it Elspeth usually makes your Rhox War Monk do 6 flying damage?

Combined with the fact that in one game I had 2 indestructibles tokens as blockers, yes, swining for 6 flying and making a 12 lifes gap per turn usually wins it.

EDIT: It was nice to finally speaks to you IRL David! Hope we'll meet again in the future.

P-M

Obfuscate Freely
11-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey Pierre-Marc, congrats on making the Top 8! I'm sorry that I couldn't make good on our promise to meet each other there, after we went to time in round 4.

That was a good match, though. I'm looking forward to the next time we face each other!

jimirynk
11-15-2009, 10:39 PM
congrats man it was nice meeting you.

I was the ichorid player who got 4th.

Shimi
11-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Gratz with your results.You played well and was a bit luck too.
I'm playing Supreme Blue and i would like to share some thoughts about your choices.
Ponders: Did you ever missed them? Since it is a suffle effect and helps to find lands , threats or assemble an "blind" CB when you do not have Top.

Spell Snare: 2 does not sound too random? It is there for Goyfs , CB or some other reason?

Elspeth and Ajani: As i could see it saved you in many MU but it also was sided out in other MUs , did you liked them? In my list I'm thinking about running Knight of Relicary since it is very big , has 3cc and generates extra suffle effects for CB and Top.I'm also considering running a 4th Firespout in SB( my meta is very aggro oriented).

4cc spells: Elspeth and Ajani makes you have 4 cards with 4cc , did it was enought to fight 4cc spells with CB like NO , cause i think you will play it when you find and it will rarely counters something.

Zach Tartell
11-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Dear Pierre:

I had an excellent time, and am glad that I lost to your frenchy ass.

I will sing songs of your greatness in my upcoming report (stay tuned!)

honestly, though - it's always good to put a name and a face to an internet face. Congrats on the finish, continue kicking ass where French is an acceptable language, and may we meet before my next birthday.

Love,

Zach

Enigma
11-15-2009, 11:15 PM
@Shimi: This is not CB/Top Thread so I'm answering there

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=401271#post401271

I can hardly express how much I appreciate your comments guys, thanks a lot. I always felt really welcomed in American tournaments that I'll continue going down here visiting my nice cousins everytime I have the possibility to do so.

Looking forward to see all of you again,

P-M

J.V.
11-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Pierre-Marc,
Premierement, les Felicitations ! Mais vraiment, tu as pense j'etais Ben Lukas? Je suis un peu a offense'. :cry: [Desole, mon francais est mauvais]

Parcher
11-16-2009, 12:13 AM
I can hardly express how much I appreciate your comments guys, thanks a lot. I always felt really welcomed in American tournaments that I'll continue going down here visiting my nice cousins everytime I have the possibility to do so.

I'm honestly peplexed by this.

Americans have disdain, if not actual hate for Canadians in general.

Americans really fucking hate the French.

I hate everybody.

So why does everybody(including myself)like P-M?

I guess that embarassing the shit out of Coppola is enough to put anyone in the Legacy community's good graces.:smile:

Whit3 Ghost
11-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Grats dude! I don't think we were ever formally introduced, but nice job with the finish.

Anyone want to fill me in on the backstory with the Coppola thing?

J.V.
11-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Excellent!!

Unfortunately, Coppola will not be attending. Your conversation at Charlotte almost made me piss my pants.

Enigma: (plays blue card)
Coppola: What does that even do?
Enigma: Wut do you meen?
Coppola: I don't know what that is?
Enigma: Zis ees zuh Pundur.
Coppola: I don't recognize it.
Enigma: Eet ees zee tenth edition.
Coppola:(getting frustrated) But I can't read it!
Enigma: Zis ees in ze French.
Coppola:..........will you scoop to me?

Second funniest thing all tournament.

ForceofWill
11-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Pierre-Marc,
Premierement, les Felicitations ! Mais vraiment, tu as pense j'etais Ben Lukas? Je suis un peu a offense'. :cry: [Desole, mon francais est mauvais]

I hate you.

Raptor
11-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Grats on your finish P-M.
Your planeswalkes seem like a nice tech that can be game breaking if they hit board versus decks like Can ThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh. :wink:
Hope to see you thursday and sunday at the tournaments.

By the way, I can't wait to be a little older to got to USA for some bigger tournaments to see some of the sourcers.

gamegeek2
11-16-2009, 11:39 PM
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Scalding Tarn
1 Polluted Delta
1 Flooded Strand
2 Island
1 Forest
2 Tropical Island
3 Volcanic Island
3 Tundra
1 Academy Ruins

4 Tarmogoyf
3 Vendilion Clique

4 Brainstorm
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Counterbalance
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
2 Spell Snare
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Engineered Explosives
2 Threads of Disloyalty
2 Vedalken Shackles

--- Sideboard ---
4 Pyroblast
3 Firespout
3 Krosan Grip
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Spell Snare
1 Threads of Disloyalty

My deck was built on a similar principle to Ultimate Blue, that white is necessary for Swords, while playing red gives you Firespout for the aggro matchup, and Red Blasts for blue decks; both are good against Merfolk. I prefer less metagamed choices in the maindeck, such as the more general Vendilion Clique and Engineered Explosives, as opposed to MD Firespout and Rhox War Monk. I am however considering the Monk for my sideboard, by moving a 3rd snare to the main and cutting 2 Crypts.

J.V.
11-17-2009, 12:34 AM
De toute facon, Je ne sais pas que nous n'avons pas rencontre pourtant. La prochaine fois, nous devons. [Encore, Je suis desole pour mon mauvais francais.]

Unknown13
11-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Our top 8 match was easily the best match I played the whole day. You played extremely well and definitely deserved to place so well. Congrats and hopefully we can play again sometime.

Enigma
11-17-2009, 07:52 AM
De toute facon, Je ne sais pas que nous n'avons pas rencontre pourtant. La prochaine fois, nous devons. [Encore, Je suis desole pour mon mauvais francais.]
You are really not that bad at speaking french J.V.! When I asked Ben about that, I think someone told be J.V. wasn't showing up as often as I could think, so I just gave up on trying to figure who really you were.

@Unknown: Thanks a lot, but you won that game! And your plays against 42 lands were good, as it is not the easiest MU! A big big big congratz for you dude, and I hope we'll meet again in the future, you were so funny to play with!

P-M

Parcher
11-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Since all the Canadians are reading this thread: I know it's on the other side of the country and all, but what's with the crazy bitches up there going around randomly kicking guys in the balls? Is this another wacky Canook sport that Americans can't understand, like Curling?

See, this is why I stick with men.

klaus
11-27-2009, 08:01 AM
How did that playset of Warmonks treat you?
Ever felt 3's the right number?

Enigma
11-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Having 12 Threats felt right to me. Multiples RWM helped a lot against Alix playing zoo, and mosty because he had infinite Path to exiles for them. Being able to always have the biggest creature on the board was essential to my survival.

In a latest version where I removed the Elspeths for Sowers I dropped 1 RWM, but mostly because I knew there wouldn't be any zoo in this particular meta and more aggro-control decks. Though, I would say it's a question of what you want to fight the best, aggro and combo (RWM), aggro-control(SOWER) or control(Elspeth).

P-M