1 Mind Shatter
1 Starstorm
1 Damnation
1 Twisted Justice
1 Decree of Pain
1 Cruel Ultimatum

Shawn
11-19-2009, 02:00 PM
How was Meloku for you? I had one in my Nicol Bolas deck but I hated returning lands to my hand. Even though Oona isn't as consistent when making tokens, I liked her better. I also had Fire/Ice but cut it since it didn't do much for me; the decks I play against don't have many x/1's or x/2's.

Dilettante
11-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Vamp Tutor. I'm not so sure about Meloku or Mystical Teachings. Unfortunately, I only see... 7 targets for Scepter? (Terminate, Fire/Ice, Mystical Tutor, Ancestral Visions, Counterspell, Countersquall, Mana Drain)

Bryant Cook
11-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Meloku was a recent addition, I was playing Psychatog and it just blew. I don't have much experience. The greatest benefit of Meloku is returning Academy to protect it and/or replay for more mana.

I agree with Vampiric Tutor. Fire/Ice is alright, it's mainly used to tap something and draw a card. It could be something better, I just don't know what.

Scepter is weak. 2 for 1's on yourself often suck.

What do you guys think about Phyrexian Arena?

Zach Tartell
11-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Arena is REALLY good. I feel like a tool for not suggesting it to you earlier.

Dilettante
11-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Fire/Ice is perfectly alright. Tapping down their academy, karoo, mana vault, et al during their upkeep... stopping a general swing, all as a cantrip effectively.... or at worst, a 1:1 for an annoying 2-toughness creature like Teeg. If you're thinking Arena, I guess Rhystic Study's better for that route. I'm a little on the fence on Bit Blast... I guess it can be used as they cast a spell and see if a counter pops up. Sorin Markov is an option. Chopping their life to 10 out of nowhere for 6 mana... Also, in the vein of Vamp Tutor, there's Imperial Seal if you've got one.

Bryant Cook
11-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Updated the list.

It now inlcludes...

Urborg
Decree of Pain
Promise of Power
Phyrexian Arena
Rhystic Study
Sorin Markkov

Taking out...

Guile
Thirst for Knowledge
Fire/Ice
Electrolyze
Blatant Thievery
Some land

Wrecked
11-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I'd play Skeletal Scrying over Promise. Much more flexible, easier on the casting cost, and it's an instant.

Volrath's Stronghold is curiously missing?

Bryant Cook
11-20-2009, 03:04 PM
I'd play Skeletal Scrying over Promise. Much more flexible, easier on the casting cost, and it's an instant.

Volrath's Stronghold is curiously missing?

I don't know if there's enough creatures to justify it honestly. Scrying is one of my favorite cards, I can't believe I forgot it. I want to play both, but for now Scrying will take Promise's slot. I want to add Promise back in, but I don't know what to cut. Grixis Charm? Fuck.

Wrecked
11-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't know if there's enough creatures to justify it honestly. Scrying is one of my favorite cards, I can't believe I forgot it. I want to play both, but for now Scrying will take Promise's slot. I want to add Promise back in, but I don't know what to cut. Grixis Charm? Fuck.

I wouldn't value Stronghold based on the number of creatures you run. Since, as you said, you don't run very many, you want to get more mileage out of the ones you do play. Stronghold is an easy way to do it.

Maybe play it over Invoke?

Bryant Cook
12-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't value Stronghold based on the number of creatures you run. Since, as you said, you don't run very many, you want to get more mileage out of the ones you do play. Stronghold is an easy way to do it.

Maybe play it over Invoke?

I've been trying Stronghold. I've found the main problem is that it doesn't tap for colored mana. This deck is really blue mana hungry.

Pastorofmuppets
12-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Vamp Tutor. I'm not so sure about Meloku or Mystical Teachings. Unfortunately, I only see... 7 targets for Scepter? (Terminate, Fire/Ice, Mystical Tutor, Ancestral Visions, Counterspell, Countersquall, Mana Drain)

Isn't AV a sorcery?
also, what's the choice on Thraximundar over, say, Sedris, the Traitor King or Gaarza Zol, Plague Queen?

Bryant Cook
12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Isn't AV a sorcery?
also, what's the choice on Thraximundar over, say, Sedris, the Traitor King or Gaarza Zol, Plague Queen?

Haste, can kill in three swings. It's also the Abyss. Although, a Sedris dredge or mill yourself with Crypt of Agadeem(Sp?) would be awesome.

Pastorofmuppets
12-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Haste, can kill in three swings. It's also the Abyss. Although, a Sedris dredge or mill yourself with Crypt of Agadeem(Sp?) would be awesome.

Sedris becomes a late-game CA machine with things like Evoke creatures. Evoke Mulldrifter, Unearth Mulldrifter makes a 4-for-1. It's ridiculous.

As for Thrax, I guess he's a pretty good general for a mostly combat-based one. With enough accel your opponents can have something as nasty as a 7-turn clock to deal with.

Bryant Cook
12-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Sedris becomes a late-game CA machine with things like Evoke creatures. Evoke Mulldrifter, Unearth Mulldrifter makes a 4-for-1. It's ridiculous.

As for Thrax, I guess he's a pretty good general for a mostly combat-based one. With enough accel your opponents can have something as nasty as a 7-turn clock to deal with.

I understand why Sedris is good, but I don't want a graveyard based deck. I want a control deck.

Shabbaman
12-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Grab the reins seems good in this deck. And Slave of Bolas. No love for Twisted Abomination btw?

Bryant Cook
12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Grab the reins seems good in this deck. And Slave of Bolas. No love for Twisted Abomination btw?

They both force you to tap out on your turn. Twisted Abomb is solid, but the only creature that I see as cutable is Memnarch. Is Memnarch better than Abomb?

MattH
12-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Isn't AV a sorcery?

A couple months ago, for the five minutes I thought AV was an instant, I thought I had broken Legacy. Turns out not so much.

Raptor
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM
For your deck, I would probally try to run mind's eye. Monstruous card advantage and can be good with tezz.

Also, have you tried running nicol bolas ? He seems to be an alternate win con, and often, if he deals damage, it's game over for that player.

Bryant Cook
12-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Why? The deck already has tons of card draw. Rhystic study is just better.

Nicol bolas is interesting but I think it's too mana intensive for it's effect. It also wouldn't last long enough to hit a player.

xXxBretWeedxXx
12-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I'd run NBPW if I were you, it's pretty sick. I'd cut Memnarch for it. Sick control card.

Zach Tartell
12-11-2009, 02:25 PM
What's NBPW? I have no idea what that stands for.

Zach Tartell
12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
OH SHIT IT'S NICOL BOLAS, MOTHER FUCKING PLANESWALKER.

Sorry. Pardon the ignorance.

Kangaxx
12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I'd definitely consider Grim Tutor and Imperial Seal, if you feel it's worth spending an additional $400 on a EDH deck. :tongue:

Bryant Cook
12-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I'd run NBPW if I were you, it's pretty sick. I'd cut Memnarch for it. Sick control card.

I already run it.

Dembones
12-14-2009, 01:13 AM
I run Kira in my list, usually I play it the turn before I play Thrax, so I can tap out without fear of him being dealt with before he gets himself some.

My Thrax is alot more aggressive than your list, though.

Shabbaman
12-14-2009, 07:46 AM
They both force you to tap out on your turn. Twisted Abomb is solid, but the only creature that I see as cutable is Memnarch. Is Memnarch better than Abomb?

Good reasoning.

I assume that's a rethorical question about Twisted Abomination. Don't see it as a creature. It fetches lands (better, duals). Run it instead of Expedition map.

Shawn
12-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Twisted Abomination doesn't get Academy or Strip Mine, though. Twisted Abomination is an expensive dual land in the early game, whereas Map finds any land you want.

Bryant Cook
12-24-2009, 03:14 PM
I haven't been too happy with Memnarch, he clogs my opening hands too often. I'm considering adding Crucible of worlds in it's spot since I have no way to recur academy.

Bryant Cook
01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
I've changed my opinion on Memnarch, I stole an entire board due to memnarch this weekend. Making Academy and Minamo an artifact and untapping with Tezzeret.

New MEANer list on the opening post, this is probably my best EDH deck now.

Bryant Cook
02-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Is cutting Grixis Charm for the new Jace the right call?

xXxBretWeedxXx
02-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Is cutting Grixis Charm for the new Jace the right call?

Yes. That card isn't good enough for your deck.

Shawn
02-12-2010, 10:47 PM
How do you like Nucklavee? I cut him from my list and haven't been disappointed; all I run for red sorceries is Cruel Ultimatum so I rarely would hit on both his abilities.

Bryant Cook
02-13-2010, 02:22 AM
How do you like Nucklavee? I cut him from my list and haven't been disappointed; all I run for red sorceries is Cruel Ultimatum so I rarely would hit on both his abilities.

I cut him awhile ago. I still havent drawn the new Jace.

New list on opening post.

Nocco
02-15-2010, 07:33 PM
How is Crosis's Catacombs not just straight garbage? Does the deck need the color fixing that badly?

Bryant Cook
02-15-2010, 10:19 PM
No, not really. In fact it's probably going to be cut for a basic.

Benie Bederios
03-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi fellows,

The deck has 101 cards in it excluding the General....

Nice deck though, I'm changing my Oona deck now into something similar to this, because most people start complaining and they are changing all the rules in tournaments to shut down the deck.

-Benie-

Bryant Cook
03-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi fellows,

The deck has 101 cards in it excluding the General....

Nice deck though, I'm changing my Oona deck now into something similar to this, because most people start complaining and they are changing all the rules in tournaments to shut down the deck.

-Benie-

I'll look. I know the physical deck is 100.

Crosis Catacombs and.... I have no idea.

Benie Bederios
03-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Ok I would cut Tezzeret the Seeker and Faerie Trickery. You already have alot of counters and I found that are where to many Planeswalkers which I can't defend very well.

I have some points about your deck:

- No Overwhelming Intellect. It's a close call with Draining Whelk with the same CC. I don't know if it's better to draw cards then have a big beater...

- Chainer's Edict. I found it one of the best removal spells in EDH. Also nice that it makes people sac creatures which grows Thrax.

It's a very nice deck though. I'm going to test with it a little.

-Benie-

Shawn
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Overwhelming Intellect is one of my favorite cards in my Nicol Bolas deck. I only remember drawing less than 5 cards once with it, when I had to counter a Gaddock Teeg.

Benie Bederios
03-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Hi,

Just got my Thrax deck together, which is a little different than the verion of the OP and it rocks in multiplayer. In singleplayer though it sucked( allthough I only tested against Sisay which was about 50/50 and optimized version of Clique.

I did find I had to many counters( I played 14) and some games I was just drawing counterspells, while I was beaten down. I'm thinking in adding some more draw instead of counters.

Another thing was that it took quite a while to build up enough mana for this deck to run smoothly. I did cut Fellwar Stone, but I doubt 1 card would make the difference.

It's a nice deck though...

-Benie-

Bryant Cook
03-13-2010, 10:41 PM
The other card I cut was Shriekmaw.

I'm cutting Merchant Scroll, I feel like it's a dead draw if I've already drawn Opportunity. I'm replacing it with Overwhelming Intellect.

badjuju
03-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Hi,

Just got my Thrax deck together, which is a little different than the verion of the OP and it rocks in multiplayer. In singleplayer though it sucked( allthough I only tested against Sisay which was about 50/50 and optimized version of Clique.

I did find I had to many counters( I played 14) and some games I was just drawing counterspells, while I was beaten down. I'm thinking in adding some more draw instead of counters.

Another thing was that it took quite a while to build up enough mana for this deck to run smoothly. I did cut Fellwar Stone, but I doubt 1 card would make the difference.

It's a nice deck though...

-Benie-

I run Nicol Bolas (for flavor), and I play Control Magic type spells over extra counterspells. It's been working well for me.

Incidentally, Bryant and my lists look pretty similar. I have a few different choices - I'll post an updated list after I play it a few more times. Still getting used to it.

Bryant Cook
03-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I ended up cutting Memnarch for Twisted Justice. It may not be the greatest call. But lately I've wanted more fun cards, also who doesn't like to draw a bunch while killing a general?

Shawn
04-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Has anyone tried Recurring Insight? I added it but I haven't had a chance to play with it.

Dilettante
04-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Has anyone tried Recurring Insight? I added it but I haven't had a chance to play with it.

I've been using it in Sharuum to great effect. That and Consuming Vapors are definitely making it to just about any EDH deck I make in their colors. Consuming Vapors is a Hell of a tempo card for when you want Thrax to go Kool Aid Man into someone's face.

Bryant Cook
05-02-2010, 06:17 PM
6 mana sorcery.....? I don't know. I guess you could play it over twisted justice, but I love that card too much.

Bryant Cook
05-21-2010, 03:36 PM
New list on opening post.

Nightmare
05-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I put a Grixis colored deck together, although I think I've settled on Garza Zol, Plague Queen as my general (since Bryant and I play together). I like the cantrip she gives, so she wins over the other generals. Now I need to get her altered, since the artwork is TERRIBLE.

Here's the first pass at a list for me.

Garza Zol, Plague Queen
Sensei's Divining Top
Oblivion Stone
Expedition Map
Coalition Relic
Darksteel Ingot
Dimir Signet
Gilded Lotus
Izzet Signet
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Mind Stone
Obelisk of Grixis
Prismatic Lens
Rakdos Signet
Sol Ring
Talisman of Dominance
Talisman of Indulgence
Phyrexian Arena
Confiscate
Future Sight
Rhystic Study
Treachery
Cryptic Command
Desertion
Dismiss
Dissipate
Double Negative
Faerie Trickery
Forbid
Force of Will
Hinder
Mana Drain
Overwhelming Intellect
Rewind
Spelljack
Suffocating Blast
Undermine
Misdirection
Wild Ricochet
Commandeer
Jace Belaren
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Echo Mage
Glen Elendra Archmage
Guile
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Shriekmaw
Mulldrifter
Draining Whelk
Damnation
Decree of Pain
Cruel Ultimatum
Slice and Dice
Consuming Vapors
Concentrate
Recurring Insight
Tidings
Opportunity
Demonic Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Bribery
Tolarian Academy
Minamo, School at Waters Edge
Tolaria West
Academy Ruins
Wasteland
Strip Mine
Seat of Synod
Darksteel Citadel
Polluted Delta
Bloodstained Mire
Scalding Tarn
Underground Sea
Volcanic Island
Badlands
Steam Vents
Blood Crypt
Watery Grave
Crosis's Catacombs
Crumbling Necropolis
Grixis Panorama
Terramorphic Expanse
Evolving Wilds
Bojuka Bog
Halimar Depths
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
7 Island
Volrath's Stronghold

Bryant Cook
06-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Jace's Ingenuity 3uu
Instant Uncommon
Draw three cards.

I will be playing this.

xXxBretWeedxXx
06-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Jace's Ingenuity 3uu
Instant Uncommon
Draw three cards.

I will be playing this.

Just another reminder of how broken Recall is.

fusionshogun
06-15-2010, 02:17 AM
I would recommend cutting Darksteel Citadel and replacing it with Reliquary Tower. Also, I think you should cut Twisted Justice and replace it with Necrologia.

Bryant Cook
06-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I've been wanting to add tower but don't want to cut citadel. I will not cut twisted justice. I love that card too much.

xXxBretWeedxXx
06-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Citadel is pretty bad, it's only use is with Academy and even then its pretty mediocre.

Anusien
06-16-2010, 10:12 AM
You really like having that many counters? I definitely replaced them with more answers.

Reiterate is so much better than Wild Ricochet. I also like Memory Plunder, it's one of my favorite EDH cards.

In my Thraximundar I had Crucible of Worlds to help me put Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth together with Cabal Coffers.

Also, I really suggest Intuition and Recoup. And if you go that direction, you probably want Deep Analysis.
Also, you might have too many X spells and counters for this, but in my list I actually had Mind's Desire. Memory Plunder (1), cast the spell (2), flash back Deep Analysis (3), cast Desire for 4 and see what giant spells I get! Knowledge Exploitation also works well with this strategy.

Bryant Cook
06-20-2010, 04:22 PM
You really like having that many counters? I definitely replaced them with more answers.

Reiterate is so much better than Wild Ricochet. I also like Memory Plunder, it's one of my favorite EDH cards.

In my Thraximundar I had Crucible of Worlds to help me put Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth together with Cabal Coffers.

Also, I really suggest Intuition and Recoup. And if you go that direction, you probably want Deep Analysis.
Also, you might have too many X spells and counters for this, but in my list I actually had Mind's Desire. Memory Plunder (1), cast the spell (2), flash back Deep Analysis (3), cast Desire for 4 and see what giant spells I get! Knowledge Exploitation also works well with this strategy.

Yes, I really like having that many counters. This deck is built around it's general. I don't need as much removal because of Thraximundar. I'm able to hold people at bay through counterspells and Thraximundar.

It seems like our decks are never very similar. I never like any of your suggestions, nothing against you, just different styles I suppose.

I'm looking to cut Memnarch, Tezzeret, and Profane Command. I'm looking to add All is Dust, Consuming Vapors, and maybe Jace's Ingenuity (5 mana for 3 cards is a lot).

Bryant Cook
08-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Jace's Ingenuity 3uu
Instant Uncommon
Draw three cards.

I will be playing this.

I added this over Tormod's Crypt. I figured I have Bojuka Bog and Karoo lands if I need to have multiple graveyard wipes. Most of the time Crypt just sits on the table and doesn't do much.

keys
09-07-2010, 11:01 PM
I have a UBR control deck with Tetsuo Umezawa as general. I play a lot less counters, since I think bombs are generally better in this format. Countering threats just isn't as good as stealing them or simply outmatching them. You really only need counters to protect the game state when its in your favor and you're going for the win.

A few cards you should consider:

Recurring Insight - as someone else mentioned, this card is nuts
Necropotence - should be obvious?
Future Sight - ditto
Insurrection - red's I-win card
Time Stop - If you want a counter, don't underestimate this one
Memory Plunder - gravy
Consuming Vapors - really good removal
Wheel of Fortune - debatable, but I like it

Some of the best creatures in the colors:

Gilded Drake
Djinn of Wishes
Dimir Doppelganger
Solemn Simulacrum (UBR needs the acceleration)