Academy Ruins
City of Brass
Mystic Gate
Sunken Ruins
Ancient Tomb
3x Plains
3x Island
3x Swamp

This variant of Sharuum is definitely one where you have to be very careful of the social aspects. Playing Sharuum makes you a high priority target. It is not quite suited for purely multiplayer or 1 on 1, but more of a hybrid. There are a number of combos integrated, but most notably, Mana Severance + Goblin Charbelcher, Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek, and Leyline of the Void + Helm of Obedience. This deck does have issues against pure 1 on 1 aggressive generals however, such as Isamaru, Vendillion Clique, or some variants of Gaddock Teeg.

Multi-Player Game Strategy
Usually, the most destructive combo to go off on in a mass game is Nevinyrral's Disk + Darksteel Forge. The least threatening way to usually put it in play is to slip the Disk into play, then sneak the Darksteel Forge down via Transmute Artifact, Sharuum, or Master Transmuter, then proceed with blowing up the world. The best cards to get out early other than the mana ramp elements are generally the enchantments: Luminarch Ascension, Moat, Rhystic Study, and Land Tax. Beyond that, the deck can sit behind the hand, reserving cards instead of laying everything bare on the board. Open the Vaults is a card to have sneaked into your hand if at all possible as a panic button.

Single-Player Strategy
This deck has issues against purely aggressive generals, due to its mass control nature. It can squeak out an occasional win via fast mana ramp or combo, however. If utilizing a sideboard, Condemn and Wrath effects make it to the top of the wish list. Moat can often screw many a general, particularly Thraximundar and Progenitus. This deck fares well against sweeper decks, due to its ability to recover itself, particularly grabbing an Open the Vaults. Against pure control, pursuing card advantage engines become priority, but the deck can pretty much scoop to a pure counter control. However, this deck is not designed for purely single-player. Therefore, eliminate the counter control if playing in a tourney that cuts to single.

MattH
11-18-2009, 01:36 PM
No, you can't do any tricks with Iona/blink.

One very natural combo for this deck is:

1. Play Sculpting Steel, copying Sharuum.
2. They're legends, so they both die with the Steel-Sharuum's CIP ability still waiting to go on the stack.
3. The Steel-Sharuum's CIP ability goes on the stack, returning the real Sharuum.
4. Real Sharuum returns the Steel to play.
5. Go to step 1.

So you have infinite Sharuums blinking back and forth. Combine with Disciple of the Vault or something of that nature.

I really don't like the artifact lands. Maybe you don't see as many OStones and Disks as I do, though. And if you cut those, Tezzeret actually becomes pretty weak, I recently cut him from my Sharuum in favor of Day of Judgment.

Attunement seems like a bit much, you can't have THAT many guys to pitch. Rhystic Study is so much better! In fact I think you have way too much crud that discards; Hapless Researcher should never be in an EDH deck. Is this meant for 1v1 or something?

City of Brass is atrocious. My FIVE color EDH decks don't need that, this 3-color deck surely doesn't.

I always really hated Enigma Sphinx, and your list seems like it has many more cards you never want to cascade into (signets, false defeat, etc.). He also doesn't work with Sharuum very well, you only cascade when you cast him from hand.

As for better cards:
-Mindslaver is super-strong, moreso with Sharuum.
-Darksteel Forge is very good.
-I'd run Arcum Dagsson with those two also.
-Dear god, how do you not have Master Transmuter? That guy is insane, possibly the best card in the whole deck. Protip: the artifact you put into play can be the same one you picked up...
-Sphinx Summoner is very worthwhile.
-Memnarch too. :D:D:D
-You probably want Expedition Map, to get Academy more reliably. Especially if you leave Tez in!
-Rite of Replication is hot sauce.

Rico Suave
11-18-2009, 02:00 PM
As for better cards:
-Mindslaver is super-strong, moreso with Sharuum.
-Darksteel Forge is very good.
-I'd run Arcum Dagsson with those two also.
-Dear god, how do you not have Master Transmuter? That guy is insane, possibly the best card in the whole deck. Protip: the artifact you put into play can be the same one you picked up...
-Sphinx Summoner is very worthwhile.
-Memnarch too. :D:D:D
-You probably want Expedition Map, to get Academy more reliably. Especially if you leave Tez in!
-Rite of Replication is hot sauce.

Specifically, the primary reason to play Sharuum in the first place is for a brutal Mindslaver activation.

The other 2 main reasons are Crucible (which you don't even run) and Sundering Titan.

And how do you have no Strip Mine or Wasteland?

Kuma
11-18-2009, 02:02 PM
yawg07 has a ridiculous Sharuum list. Maybe he'll post it...

Dilettante
11-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I was trying to write up by memory. Sphinx Summoner is already in. I believe the card I cut was Sun Quan and my old memory is wretched. Hapless, I've been using as a turn 1 play for a turn 2 reanimation, a weak Careful Study, but I guess it isn't as worth it since I already run all the other pitchers. The reanimation is more for selectively bringing back a disrupting threat more than early game stomp (Dance of the Dead and Animate Dead for their ability to snatch from any player's graveyard). I don't run into as many O-Stones/Disks other than the ones I run myself generally (I used to run Ghost Council with about 1/5 of the deck as board clears). I find myself encountering a lot of spot creature removal, which is why I don't have Master Transmuter, which is too slow compared to just using a reanimation spell. By the time I can cast Transmuter, I can just cast/fetch accel that lets me drop the cards anyway at the same time, without the risk of it getting blown up. It feels like a 'win more' for what I encounter. Same issue with Arcum. Steel seems like an easy combo, but seems easy to disrupt due to spot removal.

+Memnarch
+Expedition Map
+Mindslaver
+Sphinx Summoner
+Rhystic Study
+Rite of Replication
+Darksteel Forge
+Strip Mine
+Tolaria West
+Crucible of Worlds
-Twincast
-Attunement
-Enigma Sphinx
-Sun Quan, Lord of Wu
-Weathered Wayfarer
-City of Brass
-Diabolic Tutor
-Hapless Researcher
-Reliquary Tower
-Merfolk Looter

MattH
11-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Ohhhh I'd add Reliquary Tower back. I often go up over 7 cards...

You're still underestimating Master Transmuter. It's not JUST to get a guy into play cheaply, he does so much more. He also PROTECTS your guys from removal (bounce in response to STP), and reuses their CIP abilities. Imagine picking up Sundering Titan and putting it right back into play, at instant speed, every turn, for :u:. Or Filligree Angel, or Sharuum herself, or Magister Sphinx.

Also cheats Darksteel Forge in, which reanimation can't do.

Dilettante
11-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Alright. I'll give both a whirl. I also put in Debtor's Knell and Crystal Shard. Subtracted Agadeem, Smallpox, Zombify, and Exhume.

MattH
11-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Debtor's Knell is fucking awesome, I support that 100%.

yawg07
11-19-2009, 06:52 PM
yawg07 has a ridiculous Sharuum list. Maybe he'll post it...

I will :) But I won't hijack this thread, I'll post my own.

Nihlistdeathtrip
11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
I will :) But I won't hijack this thread, I'll post my own.

but his list has the gay all over it :eek:

Malchar
11-26-2009, 01:10 PM
I just started playing EDH, and I happen to also play with Sharuum the Hegemon. I'm wondering about which cards are EHD "staples" for a WUB deck. Also, after looking at the OP list, I'm not sure about how much land/mana producers to use. I would have thought to use a little more land than 30.

freakish777
12-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Discarding Possessed Portal (Thirst for Knowledge, Careful Study, etc) and bringing it back with Sharuum can be pretty back breaking too (assuming you have ways to break the symmetry, such as Future Sight or Magus of the Future, having enough mana to replay Sharuum).

You don't hardlock with it obviously, but it can be really hard to beat.