PDA

View Full Version : What edition, why?



Pastorofmuppets
11-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Basically, for cards that have been printed a bunch of times with different arts (Armageddon, Wrath, Dark Ritual, Brainstorm, Swords to Plowshares), I want to know which you prefer.
For example, I like the art on the Dark Rituals from Urza's Saga.
I'm the nonconformist who would rather use the Ice Age Brainstorm than the one from Masques.
So how about you guys?

Skeggi
11-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Oldest print possible (except Alpha, in that case Beta).

Meister_Kai
11-27-2009, 02:38 AM
I'm sort of a whore when it comes to black border, I will take m10 hypnotic specter over a revised one for example.

Now, when it comes to something like dual lands, or other expensive alpha/beta cards (read; hypnotic specter etc) I will take the cheapest white border there is (all my duals are revised). I would rather use the ice age stp over a unlimited one, even though the art sucks. If its something like the difference between a beta BEB or a white border one though obviously black is the way to go.

IsThisACatInAHat?
11-27-2009, 02:46 AM
Oddly, I actually have strong feelings about this subject.

I strictly prefer Ice Age art for BS, Dark Rit and StP because the picture accurately describes what I imagine the spell portrays. The Masques BS doesn't really look like anything to me and the ABU art for StP is just some biblical character with a plow, where the IA versions give me a really visceral mental image of the spell in the imaginary duel that MtG represents. Several of the Dark Rit artworks have the same feel, I just like the IA one the best.

The idea of an accurate picture applies to any card for me. For this reason I really can't stand any of the basic lands printed since Mirrodin except SoA block. Islands are notoriously bad offenders in this regard.

On the subject, I'm also probably one of the only people who thinks foils look insufferably awful. Cards from older sets had some great effects that really made the game come to life for me. The colors were faded and dull to look like old spells, each color had its own border design and the text box varied from wood (green cards) to dirty parchment (black), etc. Over time, the cards just look worse to me, starting with 5th where borders were cleaned up and text boxes made uniform. Foil just felt like the ultimate cheapening of the game into a commercial product. Oh well, I guess it makes buying & trading singles easier/ cheaper.

Meister_Kai
11-27-2009, 02:50 AM
snip

COMPLETELY agree on the foil aspect. I always thought they looked a little trashy, with the majority of players using foils trying to convey an aura of arrogance.

Also, as far as picture goes, of course IA and US are the best arts, you gotta love crazy jesus and the sacrificial lizard.

TotallySweet
11-27-2009, 02:52 AM
I prefer the 5th edition art for Dark Rit. Which is why I was happy that it got reprinted in black border for the Divine/Demonic set!

MMogg
11-27-2009, 02:59 AM
I like Ice Age for all the "basics", like Dark Ritual, Brainstorm, Swords to Plowshares, Incinerate, Pyroclasm, and if I had to choose between Red/Blue Elemental Blasts and Pyro/Hydroblast, I'd choose the Ice Age ones as well. From when they were actually decent, I have all the Ice Age pain lands as well. I don't know why, I just like the art and the colouring/flavour of Ice Age. I don't really care for Counterspell or Stone Rain (you know, when that was playable).

Actually, I never have found a Counterspell I like, and usually use foil Masques ones or Alpha/Beta/Promo.

I really like the new M10 Lightning Bolts and might pick up some Chinese ones before I leave this country.

I could go on, but I'll spare you. :smile:

Nelis
11-27-2009, 03:02 AM
I like revised duals (and a lot of other revised cards), because of their 'paleness'

Master Shake
11-27-2009, 03:12 AM
Here are my tastes:

Plains - Odyssey Foil #333 - perhaps my favorite art in the game.
Island - Any Beta
Swamp - Most any Portal 2
Forest - They are all bad
Mountain - Arabian Nights

Swords To Plowshares - FNM foil, Original Art - it looks amazing
Brainstorm - Coldsnap Precon or Ice Age - Its a storm coming from the brain!
Dark Ritual - Tempest - I feel this one looks the sleekest.
Disenchant - Original Art even if it doesn't make any sense
Counterspell - 5th Edition/Starter art. The guy looks pretty good.

Wrath of God - Portal First Age (Because of the use of 'Discard Pile' and Bonus Shakespeare flavor text)
Armageddon - Original Art - that's some desolation.

I'm having trouble thinking of any other staples that appear in more than two sets. But I did a pretty good number there.

jazzykat
11-27-2009, 03:52 AM
I usually prefer the oldest possible black border version. Except I prefer the old cardface more than the new. I hate about 99.9% of foils. Of the foils I like they are the old type with the shooting star like Fire/Ice and Wasteland (I unfortunately do not have any of these). I also play with foil stifles because I happen to like them.

emidln
11-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Dark Ritual (in order of preference, most to least): Alpha, Beta, Jap WB 4th, any FBB Revised/4th printing, Tempest, Saga, English Revised, English 4th, Masques, Ice Age/Cold Snap Precon, Mirage, DvD/5th.....Taiga....Goblin Lackey....Judge Foil Dark Ritual

Island: Alpha Isand #2 (the bluer one that isn't showing a setting sun)
Mountain: Alpha Mountain #2 (the blue one; i.e. the one not in Arabian Nights)

Skeggi
11-27-2009, 04:06 AM
Dark Ritual (in order of preference, most to least): Alpha, Beta, Jap WB 4th, any FBB Revised/4th printing, Tempest, Saga, English Revised, English 4th, Masques, Ice Age/Cold Snap Precon, Mirage, DvD/5th.....Taiga....Goblin Lackey....Judge Foil Dark Ritual

You forgot Summer Magic :wink:

Mr.C
11-27-2009, 04:12 AM
AN/AQ/LG/DK (they had the best looking borders, IMO) > Oldest set possible, in Portuguese when applicable. No WB unless it's P3K/Starter. Exception for cards that are obscenely expensive.

MMogg
11-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Brainstorm - Coldsnap Precon

Holy shit! I had no idea these existed! Can anyone answer this question for me: do the precons come in foreign languages including foreign language Ice Age reprints? I'd cream myself if I got Chinese Ice Age reprint StPs. I googled the [English] image and they look so hawt. Not big on the Brainstorms though... I still like the Ice Age originals.

Forbiddian
11-27-2009, 04:56 AM
I'm the nonconformist who would rather use the Ice Age Brainstorm than the one from Masques.

I thought that made you a conformist, since everyone I know or play with wants Ice Age Brainstorm over Masques.

It looks better, the colors are better. The border looks better. The art looks better. The flavor text is much better (when I read it, I think "the blow" is the motherfuckingseventeethlandIveseenthisgame and then it makes much more sense). It's more nostalgic all around.

Everything about it is better, except it's not foil-accessible, which I understand is the pimp new thing to do even though it looks ugly as hell and just makes you look like a douchebag. Like grills.

MMogg
11-27-2009, 04:57 AM
I thought that made you a conformist, since everyone wants Ice Age Brainstorm instead of Masques.

Not really. If you check out the Pimp Legacy Deck thread you'll see primarily foreign foil MM Brainstorms.

Master Shake
11-27-2009, 05:08 AM
Holy shit! I had no idea these existed! Can anyone answer this question for me: do the precons come in foreign languages including foreign language Ice Age reprints? I'd cream myself if I got Chinese Ice Age reprint StPs. I googled the [English] image and they look so hawt. Not big on the Brainstorms though... I still like the Ice Age originals.

These were released in non-English languages. I have seen Japanese and Simplified Chinese, I own German Coldsnap Precon Brainstorms. They come three per deck (its the U/W deck that has StP as well, if I recall correctly.) Given the languages I've seen them in, I imagine it runs the full gauntlet of languages that Magic is printed in. I would honestly like to have some Russian Brainstorms and StP

Edit: The name of the precon is Kjeldoran Cunning. Apparently it comes with portent? Remember when people played Portent? Wow that card is bad.

MMogg
11-27-2009, 05:24 AM
These were released in non-English languages. I have seen Japanese and Simplified Chinese, I own German Coldsnap Precon Brainstorms. They come three per deck (its the U/W deck that has StP as well, if I recall correctly.) Given the languages I've seen them in, I imagine it runs the full gauntlet of languages that Magic is printed in. I would honestly like to have some Russian Brainstorms and StP

Edit: The name of the precon is Kjeldoran Cunning. Apparently it comes with portent? Remember when people played Portent? Wow that card is bad.

Wow! Kick ass! Time to find these bastards in Chinese. It's so hard to find the names in Chinese for shit like this, not to mention find stores that may still have the precons. :cry: Thanks for the info!

Yeah, Portent is still used in random decks now and then, but generally only Ponder and Brainstorm see play. Sleight of Hand was decent before Ponder was printed, as was Opt. So many cards, so few deck slots. I guess that's why Highlander is so much fun, they're still good there! :smile:

JeroenC
11-27-2009, 06:39 AM
In this order of "importance":
-old cardface
-good art
-black border
-foil

But usually, I just want cards I can afford. You bunch of rich bastards.

Atwa
11-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Pff,

I like the unlimited Duals the most, as for other cards:
StP - Judge Foil
Brainstorm - Ice Age
Disenchant - Tempest
Dark Ritual - Mirage
Wrath of God - 7th Edition
Elvish Champion - 7th Edition
Counterspell - The foils with the "m" logo
Armageddon - Portal 1

Basic Lands - Unglued

For the rest of the cards, I normally prefer the oldest version, or at least old bordered cards. I think these are the only exceptions.

johanessen
11-27-2009, 07:11 AM
My taste is:

Black Bordered
Old format if possible

Then I don't care too much, but I like A/B and rare ed. like Portal or Limited foreing editions.

yawg07
11-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Don't let false info spread, please.
The Coldsnap precons were NOT printed in Simplified Chinese, they missed a few other languages as well, Russian and something else.

EDIT: Just talked to my friend in the know. Coldsnap Precons were printed in English, French, Italian, Japanese, and Portuguese ... that is IT.

Japanese exist for sure http://www.magiclibrarities.net/233-3614-rarities-brainstorm-zoom-card.html#return
I used to have a playset, they aren't too common anymore.

I have 5 French ones laying around, too.

sunshine
11-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Pretty much agree with the preferences already posted - except I'm a little biased towards Portal cards where possible, especially WoG and Armageddon.

MMogg
11-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Don't let false info spread, please.
The Coldsnap precons were NOT printed in Simplified Chinese, they missed a few other languages as well, Russian and something else.

EDIT: Just talked to my friend in the know. Coldsnap Precons were printed in English, French, Italian, Japanese, and Portuguese ... that is IT.

Japanese exist for sure http://www.magiclibrarities.net/233-3614-rarities-brainstorm-zoom-card.html#return
I used to have a playset, they aren't too common anymore.

I have 5 French ones laying around, too.

Thanks for the clarification. It's surprisingly esoteric information on WotC website as to what languages their products are available in. :confused:

That Brainstorm looks nice, but I think finding Swords to Plowshares in Japanese reprint would be not only difficult but costly. There are three Brainstorms in the precon and some dude is selling 4 Japanese Brainstorms on ebay right now for $70 buy it now. Someone else is selling 1 Ashen Ghoul for 25... who the hell wants Ashen Ghoul? English doesn't look so bad after all.

beastman
11-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Ravnica Birds of paradise are the best.

lordofthepit
11-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Beta > Other BB, old format > Other BB, new format > WB

English, non-foiled only for me. It just looks better.

yawg07
11-27-2009, 04:10 PM
The Brainstorms in Japanese should run ~50/set, maybe 40.
The STP should be like $10-12 ea.

Ozymandias
11-27-2009, 04:22 PM
In general, my preferences are

WB, new<WB, old<BB<BB old.

I prefer the Urza's Saga Block art for a lot of old staples, as oposed to Ice Ager or the like. Duress, Dark Ritual, and Swamp (my favorite land art) are examples of this.

I like my cards to be English if at all possible so my opponents can read them, and I don't generally like foils because of their propensity to bend.

DukeDemonKn1ght
11-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Edit: The name of the precon is Kjeldoran Cunning. Apparently it comes with portent? Remember when people played Portent? Wow that card is bad.

Dude, Portent is Ponder, except with the old cantrip phrasing instead of the new. That doesn't really make it bad though, it's just usually going to be worse than Ponder. But hey, you can also use it on your opponent to try to give them a bad topdeck, which you can't do with a fucking Ponder, that's for sure... Don't be hatin' on Portent.

Kangaxx
11-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Brainstorm - Ice Age (this seems to be the popular one amongst others as well despite it being non-foil).

Dark Ritual - 5th Edition (this is what a Dark Ritual should really look like. too bad it isn't BB.) I'm also a fan of the Mirage ones as well as Alpha.

Wrath of God - Beta or Portal I hands down. I love the cartoony yet classical looking artwork on the Portal I version.

Armageddon - I'm not a fan of the Beta versions. I prefer Portal I Geddons even over Portal: Second Age.

Basics - I'm known to only buy the 1996 Ice Age Arena foils. ;)

Duress - 7th Edition foil. Best version eva. I actually own a playset myself.

Maze of Ith - The Dark illustration I prefer hands down to the new foily ones. One of my favorite illustrations on a card.

Black Knight - nobody plays this, right? I don't care. I'm a huge fan of the 5th edition artwork on the card and I only wish it was black bordered.

Counterspell - Ice Age. Love it.

Juggernaut - Nothing beats the Alpha version, am I right?

City of Brass - Arabian nights version all the way. I wouldn't even bother in purchasing the the foreign BB ones.

Swords to Plowshares - Alpha.

Hymn to Tourach - The only version that I play or will ever buy, is the Hymns with the Liz Danforth illustration. I love the artwork on this particular version. The illustration is crisp yet possesses substance. Besides Juzam Djinn, this is one of the few cards you look at and say, 'this is what all Magic card illustrations should look like.'

That's all I can think of right now. I like this thread btw. :wink:

keys
11-27-2009, 06:19 PM
1. Original art...No matter what.

2. Foil where possible (but no promo except Wasteland).

3. No preference on language.

TrialByFire
11-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Plains - Unhinged foil
Island - Tony Scudzlo art from Invasion Foil
Swamp - John Avon Tenth edition foil
Forest - dont play forests
Mountain - Coldsnap Snow covered Foil

Swords To Plowshares - Ice age
Brainstorm - Ice Age
Dark Ritual - Tempest
Disenchant - Timeshifted
Counterspell - Tempest
Duress - Saga foil, not close

Wrath of God - 7th foil
Armageddon - either portal version

xTrainx
11-28-2009, 12:25 PM
I kinda get what's cheapest.

Pastorofmuppets
11-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Duress - 7th Edition foil. Best version eva. I actually own a playset myself.


I agree. I hate the Urza's art and I don't want to play with cards from M10 if I don't have to



Hymn to Tourach - The only version that I play or will ever buy, is the Hymns with the Liz Danforth illustration. I love the artwork on this particular version. The illustration is crisp yet possesses substance. Besides Juzam Djinn, this is one of the few cards you look at and say, 'this is what all Magic card illustrations should look like.'

I prefer the Hoover art. I really don't know why.



That's all I can think of right now. I like this thread btw. :wink:

You're welcome.