Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Phyrexian Tower
Deserted Temple
Terrain Generator
Cabal Coffers
Crypt of Agadeem
Vesuva
18 Swamp

This is a casual deck. It is supposed to be good enough to win about one of every 5 or so games. Even if I lose every one, it will be awesome to kill someone with reanimated Zombies.

The basic premise is simple. Put a whole bunch of Zombies into play. Someone will kill them all. Play your General to get them all back. Repeat. There are some pretty bonkers things you can do though - most of them include a card with either "Coffers" in the name, or "Agadeem." Those lands is nuuuuts.

There are a lot of little synergies in the deck that mostly surround dudes going in and out of the graveyard. It's pretty insane, and I'm a fan already. Any omissions that aren't SUPER competitive?

Bryant Cook
01-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Sorin, Markkov for sure. I understand he doesn't go with the theme, but he's incredible.

Call to the Grave - Abyss for everyone else but you?

Zombie Gempalm - Put's it's self to the yard for you.

Aggro_zombies
01-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Skirk Ridge Exhumer can get Zombies into the yard and makes a steady stream of Festering Goblins. It makes combat more interesting but isn't too powerful.

Both Phyrexian Ghoul and Nantuko Husk are zombies.

Sign in Blood and Phyrexian Arena shouldn't be too obnoxious, although you already have Graveborn Muse.

There's an artifact from Mirrodin - Altar of Something - that kills creatures and produces black mana for a hefty cost. It's pretty late game but generally decent if you're not going for more competitive options.

Nightmare
01-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Sorin, Markkov for sure. I understand he doesn't go with the theme, but he's incredible.

Call to the Grave - Abyss for everyone else but you?

Zombie Gempalm - Put's it's self to the yard for you.
I have Call to the Grave and Gempalm Polluter in the deck already...

I don't want to run Sorin. He's too good.

Bryant Cook
01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
I have Call to the Grave and Gempalm Polluter in the deck already...

I don't want to run Sorin. He's too good.

Well...shut up.

Organize your lists better!

Sorin is worth it. You want it to be competitive. You don't need to win every game, but you need to win.

Nightmare
01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Well...shut up.

Organize your lists better!

Sorin is worth it. You want it to be competitive. You don't need to win every game, but you need to win.

? I organized it really intuitively. Zombies, then other creatures, then enchantments, then spells, then artifacts, then lands. Call to the Grave is right there under "Enchantments" and Gempalm Polluter is right there in the "Zombies."

I'd like to play a few games without Sorin before putting him in the deck. We'll see what's cuttable after that.

Edit - The Zombies are even listed alphabetically! Come on, dude!

xXxBretWeedxXx
01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
? I organized it really intuitively. Zombies, then other creatures, then enchantments, then spells, then artifacts, then lands. Call to the Grave is right there under "Enchantments" and Gempalm Polluter is right there in the "Zombies."

I'd like to play a few games without Sorin before putting him in the deck. We'll see what's cuttable after that.

Edit - The Zombies are even listed alphabetically! Come on, dude!

Leave the delivery guy alone, it's not his fault he can't READ!

Zach Tartell
01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
It's not like there are any lakes in Oswego.

Soldar
01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Morality Shift? Expedition Map? Moonlight Bargain?

Nightmare
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Morality Shift? Expedition Map? Moonlight Bargain?

Expedition Map is in the deck. I actually have a boner right now thinking about turn 5 or 6 Morality Shift. That is 100% going into the deck.

I was thinking about how bad Moonlight Bargain was, until I considered how awesome it would be to play it EOT and pay no life, or 2. That's probably making the cut, too.

Good suggestions.

Soldar
01-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Totally blanked on seeing Expedition Map in the deck :frown:

But glad someone is going to be playing Morality Shift, I love that card for some reason (and have never actually played with it).

Brushwagg
01-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Strands of Night. I use it in my Lim-Dul reanimator. It's pretty damn good.

dahcmai
01-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Like the deck, though I would have to put in All Hallow's Eve just for sheer coolness factor.

ThoseWhoFearTomorrow
01-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Living End is available if you need a crappy mass reanimator.

Haunting Misery is kind of cool but it isn't synergistic with what you are trying to do.

Also you're playing mono-black with sac effects and no Gravepact? Is Gravepact too competitive for the deck?

Nightmare
01-19-2010, 07:56 AM
So I took the deck out to the shop to test it a bit this weekend, and it falls right in line with what I want it to do. It's not so competitive that it leaves others in the dust (usually), but it can win a game 1-on-1 or multiplayer, for sure.

Officially, Soldar is my hero. Morality Shift is batshit insane.

Shabbaman
01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
The card you want to look at is tortured existence. A card that works well together with tombstone stairwell is plunge into darkness. Both insidious and sickening dreams are pretty good in a deck like this (for tutoring and saving your ass). And there's nothing wrong with profane command!

A nice twist could be to run Haakon, although there aren't enough knights to make him really shine.

ThoseWhoFearTomorrow
01-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Did some brainstorming on useful cards for this deck and all I came up with was Cover of Darkness.

I also like Aggro_zombie's suggestion of Altar of Shadows. If you have Iona in your EDH group, then this card is a great out. Other cards to include to beat Iona decks are O-Stone, Disk and Predator, Flagship. I really love mono-black and I've realized it sucks not being able to play your entire deck.

Nightmare
02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Cards on the short list for testing:

Nameless Inversion
Cauldron of Souls
Darkblast
Stinkweed Imp
Golgari Thug
Grim Discovery

Bryant Cook
02-22-2010, 09:57 PM
I don't think nameless Inversion and Cauldron are worth it.

You don't care about 1 for 1 removal. Especially in a multiplayer format. Your goal is to put creatures into play.

Cauldron? You play a decent amount of 1 or 2 ass creatures. Will this be a problem?

Dredgers - They aren't Zombies...

Nightmare
02-23-2010, 09:10 AM
I like Inversion mostly because it hits on Grave Defiler. I'm not 100% on it, but the removal could be nice, and I'm looking at some glaring weak cards.

Cauldron would be there mostly as another Living Death - once you bring the team back, you make them all persist, sac them all to Carrion Feeder, and get all the triggers again, regardless of whether or not they live. I dunno, it may be win-more, but that's not a terrible thing in EDH.

The Dredgers, or specifically the creatures, I'd like to use as an engine with Undead Gladiator. Right now, there are times when I can't really get much action going, and it would be good to have access to some kind of secondary engine. If I Buried Alive for Gladiator, Imp, and Thug, I can start going pretty crazy pretty quickly. As for Darkblast, well, it's just a removal spell that dredges. Although in EDH there aren't a lot of targets worth hitting. That's probably the worst of the lot.

Like I said, I don't really know if they'll be good or bad. I'm just trying to get some of the clunkers out of the deck.

Bryant Cook
02-25-2010, 11:47 AM
I like Inversion mostly because it hits on Grave Defiler. I'm not 100% on it, but the removal could be nice, and I'm looking at some glaring weak cards.

Cauldron would be there mostly as another Living Death - once you bring the team back, you make them all persist, sac them all to Carrion Feeder, and get all the triggers again, regardless of whether or not they live. I dunno, it may be win-more, but that's not a terrible thing in EDH.

The Dredgers, or specifically the creatures, I'd like to use as an engine with Undead Gladiator. Right now, there are times when I can't really get much action going, and it would be good to have access to some kind of secondary engine. If I Buried Alive for Gladiator, Imp, and Thug, I can start going pretty crazy pretty quickly. As for Darkblast, well, it's just a removal spell that dredges. Although in EDH there aren't a lot of targets worth hitting. That's probably the worst of the lot.

Like I said, I don't really know if they'll be good or bad. I'm just trying to get some of the clunkers out of the deck.

So... you can give a guy +3/-3 in a multiplayer format full of huge dudes? Even if it hits on ringleader, I don't think it's worth it.

Caulron, a second living death? I don't know especially for the reasons you listed. Is a giant carrion feeder really worth it?

The dredge package, I can see why you would want it now. But not Darkblast.

the Thin White Duke
04-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Two words-
ZOMBIE FUNGUS
(that would be Deathspore Thallid)
oh, and +1 for Stinkweed Imp

Bryant Cook
04-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I can't tell if this is a joke or not... But... a Saproling every three turns in EDH will never make due.

Lego
04-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Just a couple quick ideas:

Pawn of Ulamog and Nirkana Revenant might be playable. Neither are Zombies, but they have some decent mana utility. Thought I'd at least contribute the idea :)

Lemuria
02-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Do you or someone still play this deck? I'd like to know what changes you will make/made with the new zombies creatures and spells from Innistrad and Dark Ascension.

Annatar
02-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Well, Zombie Apocalypse is obviously in the deck now (real shame if it isn't). That aside, additions from Dark Ascension (as far as my list is concerned) are:

Gravecrawler
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Increasing Ambition

The tutor was actually one of the more powerful additions. When first casting it you search up Cabal Coffers and on the next turn (if you had all basics in play) you just flash it back for, say, Morality Shift and a mass reanimate effect.

Gravecrawler is really sweet with some of the sac engines in the deck (Carrion Feeder and Corpse Harvester). It's also a really cool thing to sacrifice for Braids (the only non-zombie creature in my deck but nobody is perfect) or Smokestack and it really gives the deck the extra edge it needs for multiplayer games.