PDA

View Full Version : Vampires are evil :)

Daredevil
01-14-2010, 07:34 PM
This deck is built for both duels and perhaps emperor. It's evil. Please suggest improvements if you have any.

2 Gruul Draz Vampire
4 Bloodghast
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Vampire Nocturnus (want more)
1 Malakir Bloodwitch (want more)
1 Platinum Angel

3 Skullclamp
2 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Eldrazi Monument
4 Dark Ritual
3 Recurring Nightmare
4 Diabolic Edict
2 Buried Alive

20 Swamps

The deck is mainly aggro vampires. Bloodghast combos with skullclamp for card advantage and recurring nightmare for recursion. Buried Alive gets me platz, malakir, nocturnus or more bloodghast. I am not sure about the edicts but I don't know what to replace them with. The 2 Gruuls will go when I get better vampires to trade them with. :)

umbowta
01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
This deck is not Legacy legal. So outside of getting the curve right we are not going to be able to suggest many improvements.

First suggestion: Replace some of your swamps with Undiscovered Paradise or even a Ghost Town or two if you need to stay on a budget. You say you want to abuse Skullclamp and Bloodghast and these lands will help you do that.

Daredevil
01-15-2010, 07:18 AM
This deck is not Legacy legal. So outside of getting the curve right we are not going to be able to suggest many improvements.

First suggestion: Replace some of your swamps with Undiscovered Paradise or even a Ghost Town or two if you need to stay on a budget. You say you want to abuse Skullclamp and Bloodghast and these lands will help you do that.

Thank you. Sorry for that. Just fooling around building this deck I didn't think of format (so Skullklamp ugh). Will try out some Undiscovered Paradise. They seem cool in this deck. Thanks for the help :)

syssc9
01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I also decided I had to have a vampire tribal deck. I play mostly multi-player for fun, so that may explain some otherwise unusual choices. This is where I am so far:

4 Guul Draz
4 Lacerator
4 Blood Seeker
4 Hexmage
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Nighthawk
3 Sensei’s Divining Top
3 Dark Confidant
4 Feast of Blood
4 Dark Ritual
3 Vampire’s Bite
1 Dark Depths

4 Bloodstained Mire
14 Swamp

I would gladly sub out the Bite’s for some combination of Dark Depths and/or Malakir Bloodwitch, if I had them. If I get me some Bloodwitches, (god, I hope my mother the English teacher never reads any of this) I may need more swamps. For now the swamps and Dark Rituals are doing fine, considering how low the curve is. The fetchlands are only in there to provide a shuffle affect to help Bob out. They could just as well be swamps, if I had some other shuffler.

The silly little Blood Seeker is actually pretty effective in multi-player, and with the life gain in the deck, Lacerator has not yet proven to be a problem. Nighthawk puts me in mind of the great weenie flyer from Legends, Thunder Spirit. Nighthawk is better. I am considering replacing Bob and the SDT’s with Casting of Bones, but I gotta go out and buy some. That would open up some possibilities for more land and might also require more life gain = Bloodwitch. You see where I am headed...

Daredevil
01-19-2010, 05:28 AM
I'm a little bit sceptical about the Lacerators, I don't feel they are optimal in a multiplayer build. However Dark Confidant + Top could easily give an extra card each turn for free, I like that. To bad he's not a vampire. Feast of Blood is nice, perhaps I will try to include that in my build too. And Blood Seeker, opposite Soul Warden. Have you tought about adding Urborg tomb of Yawgmoth if you include more Dark Depths? Liked your list. Thanks

syssc9
01-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Believe me, I was skeptical about the Lacerator too, intentionally incluced life loss always seems less than opimal. Still, he's a 2/2 for B. I like to slam away with him early, and he will always be the first to chump-block for me. Either way, he has not proven to be the problem I thought he might be.

I consider Dark Depths a creature card and don't even really think of it as a land. It's my beef. I never drop it unless I already have a Hexmage in play. besides, my Urborgs are otherwise occupied in a deck with Tabernacles and such. They might actually work fine. As fun as Dark Confidant/SDT is, I am really thinking of moving away from that little combo. I can free up 9 slots if I dump Bob, SDT and the Bites. That would give me room for some Casting of Bones or perhaps even Diabolic Intent (targetting the Lacerator, of course), 1 or 2 more Dark Depths and 2 - 3 Bloodwitch. Thanks for your kind words - I'm hot for Vamps!

syssc9
01-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Well, sorry for the double post, but it has been a couple days...
I pulled the Blood Stained Mires, Dark Confidants, SDT's and Vampire's bites from the above list and added 6 Swamp 4 Infernal Tutor, and 3 Sengir vamps which are currently stand-ins for Bloodwitches. So:

-3 Sensei’s Divining Top
-3 Dark Confidant
-3 Vampire’s Bite
-4 Bloodstained Mire

+6 Swamp
+4 Infernal Tutor (best i have)
+3 Sengir Vampire (should be Malakir Bloodwitch)

I have been diligently goldfishing away, and am very pleased with the results. The tutors turn this into more of a combo deck in a vamp tribal shell. I guess that's pretty obvious. I should probably pick up a 2nd Dark Depths, as the first is almost certain to get Plowshared or sent down the Path. The combo effect between the Dark Rits and the Big Vamps is just as awesome as I remember from back in the day. With 4 of one and 3 of the other in the deck, I'm sure you can imagine how I have gotten quite a few draws with 2 Rituals and a Sengir. A 4/4 flyer turn one has always been cool. And even if it draws removal, there will be that much less a bit later when I combo out the 20/20 Flyer. It all works.

If you are still in doubt about the Lacerator, you might want to try Child of Night;however its CCC is 2 instead of B. When I was first considering this deck my initial thought for this slot was Vampire Bats, but it is a damn Bat, instead of a vampire. Phooey!

EDIT: The WorldWake Spoiler here - http://mtgsalvation.com/worldwake-spoiler.html
Pulse Tracker - Creature - Vampire Rogue
Whenever Pulse Tracker attacks, each opponent loses 1 life.
Now there is good single CCC replacement for Lacerator, especially in multiplayer.