PDA

View Full Version : Misdirection and brothers



Ciberon
01-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I play a spell. My opponent plays a counterspell. May I use misdirection to change the target of counterspell to counterspell itself?

I believe I've read somewhere that a spell is not a valid target for itself, but I can't be 100% sure.

Thanks in advance.

mchainmail
01-19-2010, 11:23 AM
No, you cannot have Counterspell target itself. However, you can have Counterspell target Misdirection, which would let your original spell resolve.

cdr
01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
113.4. A spell or ability on the stack is an illegal target for itself.

If spells could target themselves, you could cast Counterspell targeting itself, which would be quite weird.

GUnit
01-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Misdirection basically says "change the target of a spell with a single target, or counter target counterspell."

Julian23
01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
If spells could target themselves, you could cast Counterspell targeting itself, which would be quite weird.

Imagine what would happen if Pact of Negation targeted itself. The world we observe would no longer be...

godryk
01-19-2010, 07:51 PM
You could always change the target of Counterspell to Misdirection.