View Full Version : Competitive End of Match Procedures
The Milkman
01-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Well, I've recently built a deck that would need to take advantage of said procedures. If time was called or the match ends without a winner. Can someone explain to me how it's dealt with if there is no winner of a match at the end of it or when time is called?
It would be appreciated.
citanul
01-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Time gets called. Then the active player finishes his current turn. After that turn there will be an additional 5 turns. If there is still no winner after those 5 turns that match is considered a draw.
This can result in a win for someone if he was up 1-0 or a draw in case of 0-0 or 1-1.
A win gets you 3 points, a draw gets you 1.
CallMeLiam
01-24-2010, 02:23 PM
This already sounds like a horrible idea
stuckpixel
01-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Go Go Turbofog.
Just a heads up, this is probably not a good idea.
The Milkman
01-24-2010, 02:57 PM
What? Winning game 1 then forcing ties until time?
It's viable. A good creative challenge.
Julian23
01-24-2010, 03:01 PM
What? Winning game 1 then forcing ties until time?
It's viable. A good creative challenge.
I'd rather have a deck with better chances to win a game.
The Milkman
01-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Don't ruin my fun. :tongue:
Malchar
01-24-2010, 03:55 PM
In top 8, there are usually no time limits, so the match will never end in a draw.
Also, deliberately stalling the match after winning Game 1 is a good way to get warnings/game/match losses. You must make every effort to play at a reasonable pace for the match to finish.
Also, deliberately stalling the match after winning Game 1 is a good way to get disqualified. You must make every effort to play at a reasonable pace for the match to finish.
Fixed.
caiomarcos
01-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Divine Intervention + Vampire Hexmage combo? Sounds fun!!!
The Milkman
01-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Hey, I'm enjoying it!
leander?
01-25-2010, 06:27 AM
Also, deliberately stalling the match after winning Game 1 is a good way to get warnings/game/match losses. You must make every effort to play at a reasonable pace for the match to finish.
The point is, stalling isn't the same thing as stalling. Slowplaying is, ofcourse a bad idea, but there's nothing wrong with focussing on staying alive rather than actually winning.
Fixed.
Thanks, I wasn't sure what the exact penalty as I'm not a judge.
rockout
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
The point is, stalling isn't the same thing as stalling.
Hmmm...?
Deliberately playing slowly to take advantage of the time limit is stalling, which is cheating. Just plain playing slowly is slow play, which will also result in penalties.
Playing for a draw is ok though, as long as you are playing at a good pace.
Not really valid anymore for obv reasons, but several years back I played Affinity with 3 Shahrazads (I never got a 4th). The idea involved playing balls-to-the-wall aggro affinity with no hope of surviving hate. And then simply never getting to the end of game 2. You had to keep the Shahrazads in the main, though. As you HAD to resolve one in the first two games to manage the time out. It was great in that deck. It was nifty against Solidarity that spent turns 1 and 2 sculpting a hand only to see it go away - then come back with a lot less life. And even better against Landstill.
Ahh, the sleazes and cheeses.
Angelfire
01-29-2010, 04:44 PM
I have never seen a judge issue even a warning for slow play/stalling, never mind a game loss or disqualification. The rules of Magic often require discretion from a judge, that are very often not enforced.
I once won game one of a match and then game two was locked out by Eternal Dragon/ Solitary Confinement. My deck had absolutely no outs for breaking the lock aside from him forgetting to return Eternal Dragon. I was told I was allowed to think about my plays, drop lands, cast (irrelevant) spells, but that attacking him was "not advancing the game state", yet dropping land number 12 and casting spells that did nothing were fine. If his decks strategy to win is to deck me through turns, how fast am I obligated to play. Logically I should either be handed a loss as soon as he "locks me out" or force him to beat me (decking through turns is a strategy that should not be rewarded). With ~5 minutes left I conceded and went on to beat him in game three, but even if my deck did nothing he had almost no chance of killing me in 5 minutes + turns.
GoblinNick
01-29-2010, 07:41 PM
I have never seen a judge issue even a warning for slow play/stalling, never mind a game loss or disqualification. The rules of Magic often require discretion from a judge, that are very often not enforced.
I once won game one of a match and then game two was locked out by Eternal Dragon/ Solitary Confinement. My deck had absolutely no outs for breaking the lock aside from him forgetting to return Eternal Dragon. I was told I was allowed to think about my plays, drop lands, cast (irrelevant) spells, but that attacking him was "not advancing the game state", yet dropping land number 12 and casting spells that did nothing were fine. If his decks strategy to win is to deck me through turns, how fast am I obligated to play. Logically I should either be handed a loss as soon as he "locks me out" or force him to beat me (decking through turns is a strategy that should not be rewarded). With ~5 minutes left I conceded and went on to beat him in game three, but even if my deck did nothing he had almost no chance of killing me in 5 minutes + turns.
You're allowed to take any game action you normally would as long as you are doing so reasonably even though those game actions don't have any impact. No rule of the game or tournaments requires a player to concede if he/she has no way to win. But if the game has reached a point where there are no more game actions to take other than passing priority (say both players control a Pacified Platinum Angel & no cards in the library/hand/graveyar, that game would be a draw).
Angelfire
01-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Are you allowed to say things like "I am going to leave 7 lands tapped, because every turn I am going to return Eternal Dragon and pitch it to Confinement" and then it happens "automatically" or do you have to put it in your hand and pitch it manually?
A deck with almost no win conditions should not be allowed to be played. It goes against the purpose of the game by trying to exploit certain rules/aspects and more importantly is a colossal waste of time and is NOT fun to play against. I have no problem with mill strategies but there should be some rule that prevents you from decking yourself through just drawing cards. Something like, "if you have 7 cards in hand, you may choose to not draw a card during your draw step"
Wargoos
01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't get it, playing with the purpose of a draw is like disclaiming rough hard sex with the olsen twins.
It's a win-win (cuz they're 2) situation no matter what.
caiomarcos
01-30-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't get it, playing with the purpose of a draw is like disclaiming rough hard sex with the olsen twins.
It's a twin-twin (cuz they're 2) situation no matter what.
fix'd
Angelfire
01-30-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't get it, playing with the purpose of a draw is like disclaiming rough hard sex with the olsen twins.
It's a win-win (cuz they're 2) situation no matter what.
Too bad the Olsen twins look like (or are) anorexic coke whores. Twins does not equal hot and I would prefer two different hot chicks over two chicks that look the same. Your analogy also makes little or no sense.
Wargoos
01-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Too bad the Olsen twins look like (or are) anorexic coke whores. Twins does not equal hot and I would prefer two different hot chicks over two chicks that look the same. Your analogy also makes little or no sense.
Well you can't argue about taste.
Besides of that, coke whores are awesome!
And the analogy makes sense, you just fail to see it.
God may bless you on your quest for finding the clue.
Forbiddian
01-30-2010, 07:23 PM
I just popped into a thread called "Competitive End of Match" Procedures and read this:
Too bad the Olsen twins look like (or are) anorexic coke whores. Twins does not equal hot and I would prefer two different hot chicks over two chicks that look the same. Your analogy also makes little or no sense.
Well you can't argue about taste.
Besides of that, coke whores are awesome!
And the analogy makes sense, you just fail to see it.
God may bless you on your quest for finding the clue.
If that's how Magic at the pro level is played, I seriously need to get my ass to a PTQ.
Nihil Credo
01-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Well, what did you expect?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.