Atwa
02-20-2010, 09:20 AM
As I was browsing through the tournament section of the boards, I found a deck played by Dave Prince (Quicksilver) to a second place at a tournament at Jupiter Games on Feb 13th (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?15458-Feb-13th-Gigantic-Legacy-Jupiter-Games!-Power-Duals!&p=428726&viewfull=1#post428726). Seeing I love almost every deck playing Terravore (must be because I'm Dutch), I started to play the deck a little on mws and it actually feels pretty powerful.
Here is the list Dave played:
1 forest
1 plains
3 tropical island
2 tundra
4 windswept heath
2 flooded strand
2 misty rainforest
4 wasteland
4 horizon canopy
4 ponder
4 brainstorm
4 stifle
4 swords to plowshares
4 daze
4 tarmogoyf
4 knight of the reliquary
3 terravore
4 force of will
2 engineered explosives
sb
2 blue elemental blast
2 engineered explosives
2 crucible of the worlds
1 tabernacle at the pendrell vale
4 krosan grip
2 tormod's crypt
2 bojuka bog
All in all a very solid list. It actually makes me think a little about a hybrid between Canadian Thresh/Team America but uses Knight and Terravore as primary beaters.
After playing a little with it, I came to a couple of conclusions:
1, Your primary big beaters are very dependent on the graveyard. Most of the time this doesn't matter that much on game 1, but after sideboarding your creatures can become a little underwhelming.
2, Against a smart reanimator player, once they land a fatty, it's pretty much game over. Same is trough about a landed Progenitus.
3, Game 1 you have a lot of troubles with resolved Ensnaring Bridge, Moat and other nasty enchantments and artifacts. I felt some form of hate maindeck was needed.
Considering this, I've changed the deck to the following list:
1 forest
1 plains
1 island
3 tropical island
2 tundra
4 windswept heath
2 flooded strand
2 misty rainforest
4 wasteland
3 horizon canopy
3 ponder
4 brainstorm
4 stifle
4 swords to plowshares
4 daze
4 tarmogoyf
4 knight of the reliquary
2 terravore
2 Qasali Pridemage
4 force of will
2 engineered explosives
sb
1 blue elemental blast
1 Hydroblast
2 engineered explosives
2 crucible of the worlds
1 tabernacle at the pendrell vale
3 krosan grip
1 tormod's crypt
2 bojuka bog
2 Tariff
-1 Ponder, -1 Terravore, + 2 Qasali Pridemage:
I wanted ways to break a Tarmagoyf impasses and a way to get rid of troublesome artifacts and enchantments maindeck. This card can do both, and makes the creature base less dependent on the graveyard.
-1 Horizon Canopy, + 1 Island:
When cutting a Terravore, you make the deck less pressed to get to GG, I already felt 4 Canopies were a little too much, and I like to be able to fetch all colors the deck plays as basics.
SB -1 Crypt, -1 Krosan Grip, + 2 Tariff:
Tariff is great against Progenitus and Reanimator. Even though we have counter magic, sometimes we just can't stop decks from landing these cards. Seeing Swords to Plowshares can't target Prog or creatures with Shroud, Tariff gives us a way to deal with those creatures. IMO 2 Crypts and 2 Bogs are a little overkill, as you can search for Bog with your Knight. A full playset of Grips isn't needed then you already play 2 Pridemages.
-1 Blue Elemental Blast, +1 Hydroblast:
I only have 1 blackbordered BEB.......
Any thoughts on the deck or the changes I've made are appreciated.
Here is the list Dave played:
1 forest
1 plains
3 tropical island
2 tundra
4 windswept heath
2 flooded strand
2 misty rainforest
4 wasteland
4 horizon canopy
4 ponder
4 brainstorm
4 stifle
4 swords to plowshares
4 daze
4 tarmogoyf
4 knight of the reliquary
3 terravore
4 force of will
2 engineered explosives
sb
2 blue elemental blast
2 engineered explosives
2 crucible of the worlds
1 tabernacle at the pendrell vale
4 krosan grip
2 tormod's crypt
2 bojuka bog
All in all a very solid list. It actually makes me think a little about a hybrid between Canadian Thresh/Team America but uses Knight and Terravore as primary beaters.
After playing a little with it, I came to a couple of conclusions:
1, Your primary big beaters are very dependent on the graveyard. Most of the time this doesn't matter that much on game 1, but after sideboarding your creatures can become a little underwhelming.
2, Against a smart reanimator player, once they land a fatty, it's pretty much game over. Same is trough about a landed Progenitus.
3, Game 1 you have a lot of troubles with resolved Ensnaring Bridge, Moat and other nasty enchantments and artifacts. I felt some form of hate maindeck was needed.
Considering this, I've changed the deck to the following list:
1 forest
1 plains
1 island
3 tropical island
2 tundra
4 windswept heath
2 flooded strand
2 misty rainforest
4 wasteland
3 horizon canopy
3 ponder
4 brainstorm
4 stifle
4 swords to plowshares
4 daze
4 tarmogoyf
4 knight of the reliquary
2 terravore
2 Qasali Pridemage
4 force of will
2 engineered explosives
sb
1 blue elemental blast
1 Hydroblast
2 engineered explosives
2 crucible of the worlds
1 tabernacle at the pendrell vale
3 krosan grip
1 tormod's crypt
2 bojuka bog
2 Tariff
-1 Ponder, -1 Terravore, + 2 Qasali Pridemage:
I wanted ways to break a Tarmagoyf impasses and a way to get rid of troublesome artifacts and enchantments maindeck. This card can do both, and makes the creature base less dependent on the graveyard.
-1 Horizon Canopy, + 1 Island:
When cutting a Terravore, you make the deck less pressed to get to GG, I already felt 4 Canopies were a little too much, and I like to be able to fetch all colors the deck plays as basics.
SB -1 Crypt, -1 Krosan Grip, + 2 Tariff:
Tariff is great against Progenitus and Reanimator. Even though we have counter magic, sometimes we just can't stop decks from landing these cards. Seeing Swords to Plowshares can't target Prog or creatures with Shroud, Tariff gives us a way to deal with those creatures. IMO 2 Crypts and 2 Bogs are a little overkill, as you can search for Bog with your Knight. A full playset of Grips isn't needed then you already play 2 Pridemages.
-1 Blue Elemental Blast, +1 Hydroblast:
I only have 1 blackbordered BEB.......
Any thoughts on the deck or the changes I've made are appreciated.