PDA

View Full Version : Targetting



xTrainx
02-20-2010, 05:59 PM
May seem like a dumb question, but I'm making sure that I get the rules right.

First:

Player A has two Tarmogoyfs. Player B has nothing, and Lightning Bolts a Goyf. In response, Player A bounces his targetted Goyf.
Am I right in assuming that, because the target originally stated for Bolt is gone, Bolt fizzles? Or, in absence if its original target, can it choose to retarget?

dorsch
02-20-2010, 06:12 PM
You choose the targets when you cast a spell.

If a spell is about to resolve and all of its targets are gone, the spell fizzles (="countered on resolution"). You can not choose another target just because of this.

A spell which has no legal targets is countered completely on resolution. If you target a goyf with Ice (from Fire//Ice) and that goyf gets bounced in response, Ice fizzles and you will not draw a card.