PDA

View Full Version : Goblins head their way to Richmond (Top 4)

02Drop
02-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Let me preface this by saying I suck at writing tournament reports, but felt the need to share this day. I got word of Richmond Comix running a 10 proxy legacy event, which considering I didn't have any Wastelands, was perfectly suitable to be. So, I hit up and few friends, and after a large borrowing spree from eachother, we packed two cars full and headed down to play. I sat down to round one playing this:

4 Wasteland
18 Mountain

4 Goblin Lackey
4 Warren Instigator
2 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Matron
4 Goblin Ringleader
3 Stingscourger
3 Gemplam Incinerator
2 Siege Gang Commander
4 Aether Vial
4 Goblin Piledriver

SB:
4 Tormod's Crypt
4 Pyrostatic Pillar
4 Pyrokinesis
3 Pithing Needle

The event had 20 people (I believe) and 2 very friendly dogs, who, due to their lack of ability to properly randomize their decks, were unable to play. So, I sit down to round 1.

Round 1 vs Belcher
He wins the die roll and we're off to game 1.

Game 1: He plays some spells and makes 12 tokens on turn one. Not being able to race that, and not wanting to give away what I'm playing for no reason, I scoop it up before laying down a card. Pretty disappointing start, and I start to fear the 0-2 drop that my name hints my frequency to do.

Game 2: I lead with Mountain into Lackey. He gets his land and passes. This gives he the window to get in with Lackey and he brings out a SGC, giving me the blockers in case he goes goblin win agan. I also am able to cast Instigator turn two. He does indeed go for 10 goblins, but the rate I'm able to churn out bigger goblins due to a turn 3 Chieftan allows me to take this one. During this game, there's some uncertainty on how LED works, with him attempting to play a spell in his hand with LED's mana. He says it works, I disagree. We turn to a judge, who says you can declare the spell, then pay costs. I mention that LED's ability can only be played any time you can play an instant, not acting as a mana source. Two bystanders get involved and the judge heads off to check the comp. rules. After what felt like forever but was likely just 5 minutes, he returns, ruling that LED cannot pay for the spell.

Game 3: Less exciting, far less judgeness. He mulls to 4 and I drive it home early.

After being stoked at being a less then desireable matchup, what do I sit down to round 2? Stax.

Round 2 vs Stax

Game 1: He wins the roll and leads with Chalice for 1. Well, that sure shut up the Lackey in my hand. I go mountain, pass. He makes a land and ships it right back. I lay an Instigator and pass turn. I don't recall much of the middle ground, but I know he got a Ghostly Prison down and I had Warchief and Matron (Who had got Ringleader) and he makes an Explosives for 3 and promptly pops it. I don't know if he forgot the Prison or if it was simply collateral, but it made the difference in the match, of which I squeaked out

Game 2: I get off to a slow start with very few of my dudes sticking around for too long. The key point of the game is when he made a Smokestack which ended up clearing both out boards, and I'd been holding back stuff, allowing me to go Mountain, Lackey, when he's got nothing out. Lackey does what he does and makes more goblins, while he tries to keep up, but they get in for the win.

Alright, so I'm 2-0 against matchups I didn't expect to see much of, let alone beat.

Round 3 vs Stax

I apologize to my opponent, if he reads this. This is exceptionally fuzzy, and all I can recall is me getting a few lucky topdecks and driving it out on the back of several Ringleaders. If my opponent reads this, by all means offer some commentary

As I scuttle off in search of the snacks I left in my car, I get word that one other guy from my crew is 3-0, and there's 3 people 3-0. As I'm about to offer the ID's into top 8, I hear we're actually cutting to top 4, meaning we have to play. Of course, I get paired against my friend

Round 4 vs 10 land Berzerk Stompy

This guy, a buddy from college, wasn't even going to go until the night before, when I lobbed him my awful casual 10 land stompy deck. A handful of tweaks, the addition of zerks, goyfs, and a Kavu Predator package later, we got something pretty decent.

Game 1: He leads with Rogue Elephant, then Rogue Elephant next turn. I have double Stingscourger draw, and they prove the best thing ever against Elephants. He bumbles for a few turns without any mana, until and Elvish Spirit Guide makes him a Noble Heirarch, who quickly eats a Gempalm, allowing the goblins to go in unopposed a few more turns for the win.

Game 2: We trade back and forth with early blows, with a Pyrokinesis sweeping up his early guys. I make the mistake and try to be the beatdown and we end up neck-and-neck and low life, and him with a 5/6 goyf. I get to the point where he's bashing with a goyf, and I have three options:

A: He has no pump spell, and I don't block, untap and win
B: He has a pump spell, I block, and maybe lose
C: He has a pump spell, I don't block, and surely lose.

While I'm doing the math, he flashes a zerk and I scoop it up.

Game 3: I get a crazy draw. Turn 1 Lackey, who is not blocked by a Noble, who makes an Instigator, then I cast Piledriver. Next turn, I get in with Instigator, who makes a Matron, who fetches SGC, who also appears. I get too many guys and just overwhelm him

I'm now 4-0 and agree to ID with the other 4-0 into top 4. My friend from round 4 also makes top 4. After some discussions with the last fellow in top 4, we agree to split, each of us getting 1 Plateau and some packs.

All in all, I had a ton of fun, and this being the first legacy tournament where I didn't borrow a full deck, I'm pleased with how I did.

Top 4 ended up being:

Mono-Green Stompy
Goblins
Zoo
Bant with Painter/Grindstone

Arsenal
02-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Interesting, I'm running an almost identical maindeck list; -1 Stingscourger, +1 Gempalm Incinerator.

Although you didn't face it during tourney, don't you think a more varied Dredge sideboard would be better? I don't want to have a single Pithing Needle ruin my plans. I'm currently running 2 Relic of Progenitus + 1 Tormod's Crypt + 1 Ravenous Trap for my Dredge hate and have liked having 4 varied answers to Dredge.

I used to run Pillar, but since I'm running 16 spells that are under 3cmc, I dislike taking any damage from my own permanents; Storm can simply cast Wipe Away eot, then combo in your face. I've since replaced the 4 Pillars with 4 Mindbreak Traps. It's a moderate surprise (not so much against ultra experienced Storm players) and you'll find that Storm will combo unprotected if they have a turn 1 win versus aggro. Thorn of Amethyst also seems better than Pillar against Storm.

I haven't had a lot of success versus Stax. CotV, 3Sphere and Ghostly Prison out early is brutal sometimes and if they side in Sphere of Law, it's just stupid. The Stax matchup is one where I wish I was RG Goblins. It seems like your 1st matchup versus Stax you had a poor player; unless he was guaranteed to lose, he shouldn't have wiped the board unless he had some lock piece out.

02Drop
02-21-2010, 04:26 PM
In hindsight, I see what you mean about Dredge sideboarding, but I like Crypt's ability to be cast and I can still make as many guys as needed, which is less easy with other answers. But maybe 2/2 split with Relic is an option.

And I've got Thorns sitting in my trade binder. Surprised I didn't think of it.

As for Stax, I hadn't ever tested it, but I understood it to be a poor matchup. My round 3 opponent did indeed side in Sphere, but with Chieftan out and Piledriver going to town, it wasn't the massive hinderance it can be.

kicks_422
02-21-2010, 08:46 PM
We turn to a judge, who says you can declare the spell, then pay costs.

A heck of a judge you got there.

02Drop
02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
A heck of a judge you got there.

Nah, I hold no hard feelings about rulings there. He quickly pulled up the comp rules on the store computer and solved the confusion

neckfire
02-21-2010, 11:13 PM
im the bant guy :D
its eddie.

yes the tournament was great me and you met in r5 and drew in oh how fun yay for 4-0-1\

my favorite of the day was beating belcher 2-0 when i was on the draw both games. man what a match i was so afraid of loseing when he went off t1 with tokens.t1 ee for 0 solved that. g2 counter right spell and needle/ee solved all issues.