PDA

View Full Version : Future Sight and Me

(nameless one)
02-25-2010, 03:54 AM
Alright, I am planning to buy a Future Sight box. They are $130 around my area and they have been recently available.

Tarmogoyfs go for $100 now.

If I open a box of Future Sight, what is my chance of getting a Tarmogoyf in a box? Zendikar had 4-6 Fetchlands per box, although there are 5 different fetchalnds, it does increase the possiblity.

Even if I do not get a Tarmogoyf from a Future Sight box, would buying a box still be worth? Other than Tarmogoyf and Tombstalker what other cards will help me get my money back?

Nelis
02-25-2010, 04:06 AM
There's:

Bridge from Below
Grove of the Burnwillows
Horizon Canopy
Pact of Negation
Slaughter Pact
Summoner's Pact

Without a Tarmo it's hardly worth it, though. As usual.

MMogg
02-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Tarmogoyf is not worth $100. You can buy a bunch on ebay Buy-it-now for about $60. An auction finished for one at $59 even. Don't buy into the hype provided by stores like SCG and Channelfireball. They put out videos talking about prices when they are quoting their own inflated prices.

I read somewhere (I think MOTL) that Tarmos are hard to pull. I can't remember how many boxes you have to crack to get one, but I'm sure it was more than one. It was either 1 in 2 boxes or 1 in 3. I'm getting old and my memory fails me.

Anyway, if you need a bunch of commons and uncommons from that set, then go ahead. Crack boxes for fun and for picking up playsets of commons/uncommons, but don't crack a box with fingers crossed for 1 card. If you only want Tarmo, just buy some off of ebay.

Edit: Also, the notion of making one's money back from a box . . . if you mean literally sell/trade for stuff that makes it pay out, you have to account for how much time you have to pour into working for that. That's why cracking suits stores. It's their job to shift product. The avg. person doesn't have the time to put into selling and trading.

Felidae
02-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Magus of the Moon and Venser might be worth something, along with Sliver Legion (for the casual crowed).

eq.firemind
02-25-2010, 09:09 AM
This discussion already had place in "The rize of prices" thread:=>click<= (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?16162-Raise-raise-raise-The-price-of-cardboard&p=431400&viewfull=1#post431400)

Tha Gunslinga
02-25-2010, 09:36 AM
You can buy 2 Goyfs on ebay for $130.

anonymos
02-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I was already planning this. The odds on pure math of pulling a tarmogoyf from 36 packs is about 60%. You're basically flipping a coin. The boxes I was going to get were only 90 though, so it was worth it to me. Shame the guy backed out when he realized how far below market he was selling them for. At that price I could probably have broken even on the junk rares at least if I didn't get one.

IsThisACatInAHat?
02-25-2010, 11:23 AM
You can probably also find a cheaper Future Sight box on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/MTG-Magic-Future-Sight-Booster-Factory-Sealed-Box_W0QQitemZ170451126500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27afadc8e4#ht_1216wt_1167

They usually end at 70-80% of the price of a Buy It Now auction and even with shipping you'll save some money. I'll reiterate the sentiment that cracking boxes for Rares is a bad idea (even uncommons; you're unlikely to get more than 1 or 2 copies of an uncommon from a 300+ card set), but if you would actually draft and enjoy the box beyond whether or not you got lucky and cracked a Tarmo, go ahead.