PDA

View Full Version : boredom: Deck Building Challenge



Pastorofmuppets
03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
i'm very bored so I'm looking for stuff to do. Name a card and I'll build a list around it, and play in on MWS. I'm Pastorofmuppets on there too if you want to see how they do.

Challenge cards:
Mirror Universe (because I've always wanted to try it out).
Banding Mechanic
Possessed Portal
Rolling Stones
Storm Cauldron (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?16863-boredom-Deck-Building-Challenge#post437735)

Aggro_zombies
03-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Make a deck to break banding.

Nidd
03-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Rolling Stones

Have fun.

Jak
03-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Rolling Stones

Have fun.

Doran. That was fun.

Julian23
03-14-2010, 09:54 PM
I want you to break THIS:

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/st/7.jpg

Good luck!

DukeDemonKn1ght
03-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Storm Cauldron. http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/products/pictures/89004.jpg

Blazing Shoal. http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/products/pictures/121923.jpg

Or, my personal favorite unplayable card, Possessed Portal. http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/products/pictures/115249.jpgHave fun with that one!

Wargoos
03-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Possessed portal is tech in Dredge decks running the sphinx.

Pastorofmuppets
03-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I want you to break THIS:

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/st/7.jpg

Good luck!

Anvil of Bogardan, Chains of Mephistopheles. That was easy.


Storm Cauldron. http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/products/pictures/89004.jpg

Blazing Shoal. http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/products/pictures/121923.jpg

Or, my personal favorite unplayable card, Possessed Portal. http://www.trollandtoad.com/images/products/pictures/115249.jpgHave fun with that one!

you know we have card tags now, right?

Cauldron: Omnath, Locus of Mana
Shoal: has a deck already.

Pastorofmuppets
03-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Storm Caudron.dec
Lands: 22
4 Wasteland
9 Forest
4 Taiga
1 Mountain
4 Wooded Foothills

Creatures:17
4 Omnath, Locus of Mana
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Progenitus

Sorcery: 4
4 Natural Order
3 Chain Lightning
1 Banefire

Instant: 4
4 Lightning Bolt
Artifacts:7
4 Cursed Rack/4 Iron Maiden
3 Storm Cauldron

Enchantments: 2
2 Sylvan Library

Nonex
03-14-2010, 11:07 PM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/mi/196.jpg

Next level: I suggest it in a deck with Scroll Rack and possibly Sensei's Divining Top, while the main win condition is Soldier of Fortune + Psychogenic Probe.

Pastorofmuppets
03-14-2010, 11:44 PM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/mi/196.jpg

Next level: I suggest it in a deck with Scroll Rack and possibly Sensei's Divining Top, while the main win condition is Soldier of Fortune + Psychogenic Probe.

can I use it with Welder and Mindslaver?

Aggro_zombies
03-14-2010, 11:47 PM
can I use it with Welder and Mindslaver?
No. This is supposed to be a challenge. Sacrificing this to weld in Slaver is Easy Mode.

Pastorofmuppets
03-15-2010, 12:05 AM
No. This is supposed to be a challenge. Sacrificing this to weld in Slaver is Easy Mode.

actually I was going to use it as additional gas with mindslaver, although I don't know if that even works.

Aggro_zombies
03-15-2010, 12:27 AM
actually I was going to use it as additional gas with mindslaver, although I don't know if that even works.
Yes, you can force your opponent to guess incorrectly.

It's still Easy Mode, though.

(nameless one)
03-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Help me break Land Tax.

But Liar's Pendulum and Scroll Rack sounds like it has potential.

Mayk0l
03-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Break Land Tax??
That card could probably go right into the Liar's Pendulum + Scroll Rack deck.

kicks_422
03-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Help us (well, at least the two people that are still mildly interested in it) break Necrologia.

Pastorofmuppets
03-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Help us (well, at least the two people that are still mildly interested in it) break Necrologia.

UB Solidarity?? I really don't know. The problem is, the card is way too slow and Ad Nauseam is so much more flexible.

Pastorofmuppets
03-16-2010, 10:41 PM
UWbg Moss and whatnot.dec

Lands (23)
4 Wasteland
3 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
1 Marsh Flats
1 Verdant Catacombs
4 Tundra
2 Underground Sea
1 Scrubland
2 Tropical Island
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Forest
1 Swamp

Creatures (16)
3 Wall of Kelp/Tears
4 Wall of Denial
2 Doran, Siege Tower
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Drift of Phantasms


Enchantments (7)
2 Rolling Stones
4 Counterbalance

Artifacts (4)
4 Sensei's Divining Top

Instants (8)
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares

Sorceries (2)
1 Vindicate
1 Maelstrom Pulse

I actually find this list rather interesting. I feel like it's short on FoW-Fodder, though.

xTrainx
03-17-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm still trying to determine what the synergy between Liar's Pendulum and Scroll Rack is.

You Pendulum, and they guess? By my interpretation(correct me if I'm wrong), that's it. No opportunity to respond with Scroll Rack. Idk, someone help me out.

Pastorofmuppets
03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm still trying to determine what the synergy between Liar's Pendulum and Scroll Rack is.

You Pendulum, and they guess? By my interpretation(correct me if I'm wrong), that's it. No opportunity to respond with Scroll Rack. Idk, someone help me out.

they don't know what you empty from your hand each turn
Krosan Grip usually just says hi.

dahcmai
03-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Make a deck to break banding.


I had to laugh since I won a tribal tournament with a banding deck. Requirement of the tournament was you had to have the name of your tribe on the card if it went in the deck. Elephant was mine. Flavor text counted.

10 Plains
14 Forest
4 call of the herd
4 Loxodon Heireirch
4 elephant Guide
4 river boa
4 beloved chaplain
4 War Elephant
2 Noble Elephant
1 Metamophic Wurm


And yes, you can actually Band an elephant with a Beloved Chaplain. Banding doesn't target.

wolfstorm
03-18-2010, 02:59 AM
Pursuit of knowledge, have fun. :)

Pastorofmuppets
03-18-2010, 06:49 AM
I had to laugh since I won a tribal tournament with a banding deck. Requirement of the tournament was you had to have the name of your tribe on the card if it went in the deck. Elephant was mine. Flavor text counted.

10 Plains
14 Forest
4 call of the herd
4 Loxodon Heireirch
4 elephant Guide
4 river boa
4 beloved chaplain
4 War Elephant
2 Noble Elephant
1 Metamophic Wurm


And yes, you can actually Band an elephant with a Beloved Chaplain. Banding doesn't target.

Your forgot Derpaphant Herpyard (http://www.magiccards.info/an/en/88.html), dude.

Fuzzy
03-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Break Well of Knowledge.

dahcmai
03-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Pursuit of Knowledge already was broken at one time. It's a damned good card in conjunction with Sylvan Library. I sat down with Chapin and helped build a solidarity style Enchantress deck. It was kind of silly for the time. Of course there were 4 Yawgmoth's Will's in it though. I bet you could break it again. It's a silly good card, people underestimate it. It is Wheel of Fortune after all in a delayed, suspend type version.

Well of Knowledge is a challenge though. If it wasn't for the recent change in how mana shifts between phases (or steps) it would be stupid expensive now due to Braid of Fire. There's not much you can do with it in a draw step. I rather doubt you can break it with today's rules.

@pastor - I actually had put Elephant graveyard in the deck, but I forgot to list it. That list was a preliminary version to set the deck down. Not even sure that was the final one.


I want to see someone break Arboria. That card has been on my radar as long as I can remember. It seems like it has a broken use, but I just can't place it. It's one of those cards like Energy Field that is stupid good with a combo, but should be easier to break.

Land Equilibrium is another card that should have been broken by now. I keep wondering why people haven't found a nasty use for it.

Pastorofmuppets
03-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Pursuit of Knowledge already was broken at one time. It's a damned good card in conjunction with Sylvan Library. I sat down with Chapin and helped build a solidarity style Enchantress deck. It was kind of silly for the time. Of course there were 4 Yawgmoth's Will's in it though. I bet you could break it again. It's a silly good card, people underestimate it. It is Wheel of Fortune after all in a delayed, suspend type version.

Well of Knowledge is a challenge though. If it wasn't for the recent change in how mana shifts between phases (or steps) it would be stupid expensive now due to Braid of Fire. There's not much you can do with it in a draw step. I rather doubt you can break it with today's rules.

@pastor - I actually had put Elephant graveyard in the deck, but I forgot to list it. That list was a preliminary version to set the deck down. Not even sure that was the final one.


I want to see someone break Arboria. That card has been on my radar as long as I can remember. It seems like it has a broken use, but I just can't place it. It's one of those cards like Energy Field that is stupid good with a combo, but should be easier to break.

Land Equilibrium is another card that should have been broken by now. I keep wondering why people haven't found a nasty use for it.

hm. Rule of Law, Countertop. EOT put the top back on top and play it as your spell until you don't need to.