View Full Version : Does anyone know how to draft Urza's Saga?
Roman Candle
04-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Urza's Saga is a draft format on Magic Online right now, and I was thinking of trying it... was anyone playing Limited at that time that can help me figure out what to draft?
Thanks.
mchainmail
04-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Draft Black.
/thread.
Unfortunately, it looks like Classic Dojo cuts off just before Saga. You might want to try looking at archived coverage from wizards.com.
Saga was the first set I ever drafted, but I actually read stuff online unlike all the people I drafted with, so I smashed face. I can't recall much, but Black is overwhelmingly the best color, with Pestilence at common and all sorts of other ridiculousness. If you don't think everyone else knows to go black, go black. If you think everyone else knows how good black is, that's when you have to modify your strategy some.
It's too bad you can't play Waylay under its original wording like you could in 1998.
CallMeLiam
04-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Like the thread says, you draft black. I has Expunge, Befoul and Pestilence at common and the creatures are nice and aggressive. If not, try and hate on black with Wall of Junk and some of white's pro-black stuff. Runes of Protection are an auto-pick if this is what you decide on.
Again,
Draft Black. Unless every other person on the table knows what he is doing (drafting black), in that case you should go for White (with Green) and let the others fight for the few black cards in the packs.
Julian23
04-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Stay out of White and dont play blue as you main color unless you open something like Morphling or Zephid. I've done like 20 Sags Drafts by now and it seems the best thing you can do is go straight for Green Aggro with all those echo guys. Depending on how the draft flows add either black or red for additional aggro and removal (Red echo guys, all the black Skirgs and removal). The best card so far I've seen is Arc Lightning, if you can get it GRAB it!
Oh, and Grafted Skullcap is GOOD. I've seen it table several time which really should not happen!
Roman Candle
04-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Okay. I assume if I'm going white Disciple of Grace is some good?
Also, is it okay to play cyclers because they cycle if you're low on playables?
EDIT: Also, how feasible is it to start enchantment removal in the main?
Julian23
04-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Most people call Urza the "Artifact Block" even though it was designed around Enchantments as developers keep telling us. On a side note.
If youre going white you can maindeck the enchantment removal Monk. Its also ok to play cyclers (even off color) just for cycling if youre totally out of playables. Bad thing if it happens as there are less "na, never!" commons in Urza than in todays set but better than playing some REAL bad cards.
Oh and, If youre going white Disciple of Grace is still on the lower end but thats maybe just because I think white and blue are the worst colors in Urza overall. When youre going white look for the 2/1 1st strike Pegasus and the 2/2 protection Angels, Sanctum Custodian (prevents 2 damage) and Angelic Page (Tap: +1/+1).
/edit: are you bourdibourdi on MODO? Just saw someone in a draft right now whos playing all those cards you mentioned.
Roman Candle
04-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Nah, I'm not. I ended up going WR with two Pacifisms, two Heat Rays, a bunch of Disciples and Runes, and that 4 mana white kill spell.
But I pulled a foil Argothian Enchantress and sold it off for 22 tickets. So it was a win for me.
Julian23
04-04-2010, 07:10 PM
What did you use to kill youir opponents?
Roman Candle
04-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Weenies. I wasn't sure of the creature standards in the format.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.