View Full Version : Magic Online
When I get home tonight i'm going to drop the old Source clan as, simply, there's no one on there at all like ever.
If i could get an invite from someone for the new source clan that'd be great, now be prepared for the greatest inside joke nickname ever:
CowgirlSteve
Oh yeah.
wilmheath
03-10-2011, 12:12 PM
/addbuddy infobot
pc <card>
PCbot has not been updated with the past 2 sets as far as I know.
Also have you all been to http://www.classicquarter.com/ I know they used to have a clan but their forums are pretty active.(I'm not affiliated with them other than I advertise with them)
spedn7
03-14-2011, 07:50 PM
If you want to play online there is a program called cockatrice it is free and works just as well as MWS and i like using it just as much as MTGO which i also have used plus it works on both mac and pc
the website for the program is
http://www.cockatrice.de/
with a walkthrough to get you set up and ready to play here
http://www.eternal-central.com/?p=1115
Still believe MTGO is more expensive? (http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/21456_A_Foray_Into_Online_Legacy.html) A comprehensive look at costs from Paper vs costs for Online, with multiple examination of numerous Top16 decks.
With the recently announced SCG buylist, it might be the time to cash out paper and buy into Online, with some cash still left in your pocket!
addaro
04-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Hello, I have some basic questions that you MODO veterans can easily answer:
so I missed yet another tournament in the town near mine because of work and decided to jump into MODO that solves all my problems of commuting to tournaments.
I play Enchantress and ANT in paper. Do you guys think that Enchantress has any chance online? I saw a LOT of combo decks in the 4-0 and 3-1 decks :-( That would mean that enchantress is not a viable choice, but also in the article in the above post it says that there is a lot of budget decks floating around and those are easily crushed by Enchantress. It is a pretty cheap deck that I just love... but there is no point in playing it if everyone is playing combo.
If Enchantress is not viable, how are LEDs online - I watched three days for bots selling them and didnt find even one! How should I get them then?
Thank you for answers!
deviant
04-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Leds were hard to find when they were 60, now that they are 80 I suppose even harder.
I'd look for the bigger sellers, mtgotraders, marlonbots etc. if they have happened to acquire any. Prepare to sell your soul, or some ass, for those digital darlings.
Enchantress I would not advice for anyone, as it's a terrible deck. To make things even less appealing it requires insane amounts of clicking on modo. Something I am very averse to. Yes, I am lazy. The metagame isn't very friendly for it either, but than again - it never is.
mchainmail
04-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Hello, I have some basic questions that you MODO veterans can easily answer:
so I missed yet another tournament in the town near mine because of work and decided to jump into MODO that solves all my problems of commuting to tournaments.
I play Enchantress and ANT in paper. Do you guys think that Enchantress has any chance online? I saw a LOT of combo decks in the 4-0 and 3-1 decks :-( That would mean that enchantress is not a viable choice, but also in the article in the above post it says that there is a lot of budget decks floating around and those are easily crushed by Enchantress. It is a pretty cheap deck that I just love... but there is no point in playing it if everyone is playing combo.
If Enchantress is not viable, how are LEDs online - I watched three days for bots selling them and didnt find even one! How should I get them then?
Thank you for answers!
The meta shifts a lot, right now there's a lot of combo (spral tide in particular) but that can change in the future.
264505
05-18-2011, 12:42 AM
I just started playing magic again after a 4 year layoff and I picked up MTGO to try to get back in the game before I can actually find a play test group and regular place to play that does legacy tourneys. My handle is Thebigringer87 if you wanna add me to the source group.
I think I played against you a few times the other nite. Welcome back, both to The Source and to Magic. Hope to see you around more :)
mistercakes
05-18-2011, 01:11 AM
was wondering if i could get an invite to the clan. swampritualnegator
-rob
264505
05-18-2011, 02:02 AM
I think I played against you a few times the other nite. Welcome back, both to The Source and to Magic. Hope to see you around more :)
I seem to recall that, thanks for the warm welcome. Now all I have to do is find a place to play in MD so I can brush off the old dredge deck and play on paper.
anonymos
05-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I have started doing the whole Magic Online thing finally. I'm mostly kicking around the 1v1 ques right now, but looking to build up into good decks.
anonymos
I've considered getting into MODO as a secondary alternative to play magic during the week and test decks/metagame for future events, especially since duals were recently reprinted iirc and are significantly cheaper compared to paper ones so entry into online legacy won't be as high as it was for me to join paper, and hopefully the metagame online is more widespread similar to large events that i can properly test. I'm primarily a zoo player, which i feel is effective in the current meta, but my local store is all combo players, so i'm forced to play an alternate deck in order to remain competitive rather than sticking to a deck i would prefer and feel has a good chance with so many people running merfolk these days.
However if legacy dailies don't fire as often, and at weird times i may be better off just sticking to MWS and magic league for free to get the same testing done. If the dailies are swiss rather than single elimination like the draft queues it might be more worthwhile.
Also how is the trading economy? I know some people have magic bots which they make a profit off of and helps offset the cost for playing online and makes them a pseudo-dealer on there, but is it as costly to maintain a sizeable collection to play constructed on modo as it does for paper? If so roughly what would the cost be? I can probably sell out a lot of my collection and bulk to start up a collection and try to play legacy, but wondering if it's more worthwhile to invest in the paper cards I need and just test for free with the other online software.
TUMBLES
05-18-2011, 11:51 PM
was wondering if i could get an invite to the clan. swampritualnegator
-rob
hey, you got to play on scglive didn't you?
JamieW89
05-19-2011, 12:13 AM
I've considered getting into MODO as a secondary alternative to play magic during the week and test decks/metagame for future events, especially since duals were recently reprinted iirc and are significantly cheaper compared to paper ones so entry into online legacy won't be as high as it was for me to join paper, and hopefully the metagame online is more widespread similar to large events that i can properly test. I'm primarily a zoo player, which i feel is effective in the current meta, but my local store is all combo players, so i'm forced to play an alternate deck in order to remain competitive rather than sticking to a deck i would prefer and feel has a good chance with so many people running merfolk these days.
However if legacy dailies don't fire as often, and at weird times i may be better off just sticking to MWS and magic league for free to get the same testing done. If the dailies are swiss rather than single elimination like the draft queues it might be more worthwhile.
Also how is the trading economy? I know some people have magic bots which they make a profit off of and helps offset the cost for playing online and makes them a pseudo-dealer on there, but is it as costly to maintain a sizeable collection to play constructed on modo as it does for paper? If so roughly what would the cost be? I can probably sell out a lot of my collection and bulk to start up a collection and try to play legacy, but wondering if it's more worthwhile to invest in the paper cards I need and just test for free with the other online software.
Legacy dailies pretty much always fire, even the premiers fire fairly often. Surely some have weird times, however I can usually play 1 or 2 a day if I want. That's pretty good.
Also, the dailies have pretty insane EV. You only need to 3-1 one in three dailies to make a profit, and that's without ever going 4-0. They are 4 round swiss tournaments with prizes for 3-1 and 4-0.
The meta does have alot of combo, but there's more. Due to the price of Force and LED there's a fair share of Affinity, Death & Taxes, Zoo, Junk and other decks as well. There's also a decent amount of Team America, Bant Aggro, Countertop etc. There's quite a few decks and I rarely play the same deck twice during a daily.
Bots make trading as a human a bit harder, but I haven't really tried so perhaps there's good profits to be made.
An upside to the bots is that you can easily change decks if you desire, or resell stuff you've tested and disliked.
I'm definately happy that I bought into Magic Online (even if it was only ANT, and now some other decks with the profits)
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.