PDA

View Full Version : The best draft cards of all time?



slylie
05-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I've found the cube forum and didn't get much from it. I figure most legacy players are much like myself: been playing for 8+ years, have drafted almost every set, and love the old cards.

So I want to build a cube, using the best draft uncommon/common bombs/very good playables of all time.

I started to brainstorm and realized my memory isn't as good as I thought it was, so I need your help!

Please let me know which cards you think would make a cube of the top draft cards of all time. (Rares are ok, as long as they are 'junky' outside of draft.. suggesting a planeswalker or something like jitte is a bit too obviously good, and not what im looking for.)

Cheers!

From the top of my head:

(sorry about the bad spelling and not being able to remember the name, I will fix it later and I'm sure you know what I mean!)

Edit: I'm going to edit and save in everyone's suggestions so anyone else interested in building a similar cube can easily reference here!.

Black

Nezumi Graverobber
Pestilence
Doom Blade
Infest
Vampire Nighthawk
Vendetta
Gatekeeper of Malakir
Bone Shredder
Okiba-Gang shinobi
Nekretal
Keening Banshee
Shreikmaw
Makeshift Mannequin
Dread Return
Skeletal Scrying
Faceless butcher
Disciple of the Vault(Thanks Johanessen)


White

Dawnglare Invoker (thanks stacker)
Faith's Fetters
Harm's way
Kor Skyfisher
Knight of Medowgrain
Knight of the Holy Nimbus
Ghostly Prison
Cage of Hands
Oblivion Ring
Serra Angel
Shepard of Lost (Thanks Rocketrae21)
Balance (Thanks Aleksandr)


Green

Rancor
River Boa
S. Ledgewalker
Sakura Tribe Elder
Wall of Roots
Elephant Guide
Wild Mongrel
Yag. Elder
Viridian Shaman
Moldervine Cloak
Thunderscape battlemage
Kodama's Reach
Blastoderm
Harmonize
Stomphowler
Centaur Glade
Overrun
Acidic Slime


Blue



Errant Ephemeron
Capsize
Cloudskate
Ninja of the Deep Hours
Looter el-kor
Mana Leak
Man-o-War
Wilbender
Counterspell
Deprive
Compulsive research
Repulse
Psyonic Blast
Thieving Magpie
Control Magic
Repeal
confiscate
Vedalken Dismisser
Deep Analysis
Muldrifter (thanks cwt1220)
Rushing River (thanks MMogg)


Red

Spikeshot Goblin
Sparksmith
Fanning the flames (thanks Eddy Wally)
Burst Lightning
Fireslinger
Tin Street Hooligan
Plated Geopede
Pyroclasm
Sirk Marauder
Volcanic Fallout
Vithian Stinger
Sulfurous Blast
Slice and Dice
Grab the Reins
Fireball
Hearth Kami
Pain Kami
Rolling Thunder (Thanks Roman Candle)
Flametounge Kavu (Thanks MMogg)


Multicolor

Terminate
Redcap
Wall of Denial
Moroii
Agony warp
Soul manipulation
Bloodbraid Elf
Recoil
Izzet Cronarch
Narcolepsy
Bull Ceredon
Intimidation bolt
Jund Charm
Naya Charm
Bant Charm
Electrolize
Mortify
Snakeform
Blightning (thanks Rocketraye21)


Artifact

Masticore (thanks telcontar)
10x signets
Bonesplitter
Machette
ischron scepter
serrated arrows
green totem thing from time spiral
icy manipulator
Armillary sphere
Loxodon Warhammer

Land

10x Ravnica Karoo lands
8x Alara tri-lands

FredMaster
05-01-2010, 09:54 AM
I can recommend you a commonly approved Uncommon/Common Cube:Klug's C/Uc Cube (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=140278)

And you can also have a look at my All-Common's Cube, if you'd like to: Fred's Pauper Cube (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=192867)

telcontar
05-01-2010, 10:18 AM
It's a rare, and used to be heavily played in constructed and therefore expensive, but not anymore: Masticore.

At the Urza's Destiny pre-release I had one of these in my sealed deck. The first time I played it, my opponent picked it up, read it, looked at my 7 or 8 lands, then looked at his board, then his hand, and just scooped without saying a word.

I can't remember ever losing a limited game where I untapped with Masticore in play.

Eddy Wally
05-01-2010, 10:32 AM
The best draftcard I ever encountered was, in its days, fanning the flames. Fireball with buyback.

lordofthepit
05-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I've never drafted in my life, but I heard that Capsize was pretty broken. Empyrial Armor also came to mind. Both commons too.

cwt1220
05-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Mulldrifter was pretty awesome in Lorwyn block. One of my first pulls every time.

-Chris-

slylie
05-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the help!, I made an edit to the first post so I can keep track of all the suggestions. So far I agree with all, all good, but not so insane outside of limited. What I'm going for is something when my friends 'rip' open a pack they have a surge of nostolgia.

I looked through the link to the common/uncommon deck and took quite a few cards from there, that I thought made a big impact on draft formats.

stacker
05-01-2010, 02:25 PM
dawnglare invoker is easily one of the best draft cards in the new set

FoulQ
05-01-2010, 02:32 PM
You want the most broken draft card of all time?

I present to you: Jitte.

Please, no arguing in my classroom. You know it's true.

johanessen
05-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Umezawa's Jitte. I second that.

And.... Disciple of the Vault was a great common card to pick up.

rocketrae21
05-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I always thought Blightning was good to draft.
Shepard of Lost is also a bomb.

Aleksandr
05-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Balance
Umezawa's Jitte

Roman Candle
05-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Staggershock is pretty rediculous as a common. So is Rolling Thunder.

Cavius The Great
05-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Look at my avatar.

MMogg
05-01-2010, 07:11 PM
suggesting a planeswalker or something like jitte is a bit too obviously good, and not what im looking for.)



You want the most broken draft card of all time?

I present to you: Jitte.

Please, no arguing in my classroom. You know it's true.


Umezawa's Jitte. I second that.

And.... Disciple of the Vault was a great common card to pick up.


Balance
Umezawa's Jitte

The Source: Your Source for Not Reading and Posting Anyway :tongue:

Sorry, just thought this was kind of funny.

On topic: no Flametongue Kavu? He was among the linked cards and he's a bomb: splashable board control on a 4/2 body is something special. Also Rushing River is a pretty good 2 for 1 common bounce.

slylie
05-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Look at my avatar.

lol... lich in limited? :) You must be really old school.

Yeh Jitte is an obvious bomb but its rare and too obviously not just a 'good card in limited'. I will probably add a few rares (maybe 1-3 per color) when I have all the commons and uncommons sorted out. Stuff like Cabal Patriarch, Skeletal Vampire, Drul-Gaz Assasin and other rares that are awesome in limited and "dog turds" in other formats.

Roman Candle
05-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Skeletal Vampire was actually really good in Standard, if I remember correctly. It was the finisher of choice for Dralnu decks I think.

MattH
05-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Skullclamp

Phyrexian Processor

Empyrial Armor was a ridiculous beating.

jrsthethird
05-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Lightning Bolt
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Hymn to Tourach
ETBT Snow Lands
ETBT Duals (Shivan Oasis et. al.)
Mishra's Factory
Odyssey Threshold Lands (Barbarian Ring et al.)
Wild Mongrel
Basking Rootwalla
Guildmages from Rav Block
Kozilek's Predator
Goblin Legionnaire
Gaea's Skyfolk
Tidehollow Sculler

And I'm pretty sure you mean 5 tri-lands. If you're going to include 3/5 of the Charm cycle, you should extend it to the entire cycle so you can balance your colors. There are also 3-color allied Charms in Planeshift so you can mix and match if you want.

n00bas4urus_r3x
05-02-2010, 04:51 AM
Kami of the Hunt.


Nirkana Cutthroat is actually a really solid draft card.

Drizztjah
05-02-2010, 06:59 AM
I consider Oblivion Stone to be the best card for limited ever made.

Dilettante
05-02-2010, 08:38 AM
I hated Onslaught/Legions draft. Whoever cracked the most Sparksmith wins.

freakish777
05-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Leafdrake Roost
Errant Ephemeron
Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Grave Pact
Flame Wave (this really commits you to heavy red however)
Cage of Hands
Feral Lightning
Jaya Ballard
Oversold Cemetary
Compulsive Research
Loxodon Warhammer (falls under the Jitte category I guess)
Pillory of the Sleepless
Kodama's reach

Pulse of the Forge used to be brutal in draft (no more mana burning yourself though due to M10 rules changes)

Plague Sliver
05-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Skullclamp and Jitte.

Icy Manipulator, if you want to go real old-school.

rocketrae21
05-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I dont know why people keep saying Jitte when the OP said, he doesn't want Jitte. Maybe learn to read and then post...

freakish777
05-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Sprout Swarm
Wildsize
Emeria Angel
Baneslayer Angel (really anything with flying and Lifelink, like Divinity of Pride)

rockout
05-02-2010, 08:14 PM
I remember loxodon warhammer being insanely annoying all the time.

chokin
05-02-2010, 08:45 PM
I used to draft a lot of Time Spiral block and Tromp the Domains was pretty good. My friend managed to sweep a draft with a GR Tromp deck featuring Sprout Swarm, Mogg War Marshal and Terramorphic Expanse to get extra basics. It was very cool.

Probably not worthy of being called one of the "best" but it was randomly very powerful.

honestabe
05-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Roil Elemental is pretty ridiculous in draft. So is flameblast Dragon

beastman
05-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Jitte

gravemind123
05-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Propaganda
Wickerbough Elder
Dragon Roost
Putrefy
Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds

These are all I can think of for now that don't seem to be on the list yet.

Rune
05-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Basilisk Collar

DownSyndromeKarl
05-03-2010, 08:38 AM
My cube is 90% Evan's Cube, but some things he uses make little sense to me.

Wake Thrasher is like $3, but it was suggested to me by Eli(T-Organizer) and I like it.
I also like the one drops that like you to multicolor: Kird Ape, Loam Lion, Wild Nacatl. Heh, get all three of them and you're looking good.
I'll second the Guildmages from Rav Block, specifically; Azorius, Boros, Izzet, Rakdos, Selesnya. The rest are mediocre.
I've also added but not tested the addition of that Beastbreaker guy from Rise. He seems good in Rise limited.

tbh, I'm going to consider some of these suggestions as well. I really want to trim some multicolor out of my cube.

Enigma
05-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Siege-Gang Commander should be there in red, and Drana Kalastria in black for sure.

Oiolosse
05-05-2010, 08:17 AM
rancor.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
05-06-2010, 05:44 AM
If the question is, what cards were awesome in their limited environment but not much played in Constructed;

Cruel Revival
Deftblade Elite
Rush of Knowledge
Blinding Beam
Leonin Bola
Skyreach Manta
Soratami Cloudskater
Waxmane Baku
??? (Saviors sucked)
Selesnya Evangel
Steamcore Weird
Enigma Eidolon

Were the most format defining commons (excepting a couple already mentioned, i.e. Sparksmith, Spikeshot, any Tim basically) from when I was actively playing Limited.

All I really remember about Time Spiral was Slivers always sucking, and to always pack at least a couple playable slivers to ensure their sucking against you.

I'm pretty sure Deadwood Treefolk was the best non-rare card in Planar Chaos, though.