PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Western Mass



Finn
05-26-2010, 02:42 PM
I am going to be in the Amherst/Hadley/Sunderland area for about a week in early August to visit my brother. I have been there twice in the past, but this is the first time I expect to have any real free time to explore the area with my wife and three kids (ages 6, 4, and <1). I have been to Off the Wall Games in the past, back when Kevin was the owner. I am definitely bringing some cards for that. But I have no idea what else is in the area to take my family to. Can any of you local residents or students there help me out?

I have been to some web sites, but I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions of your own.

from Cairo
05-26-2010, 09:03 PM
The Worcester Art Museum is pretty good if you're into that sort of thing. They have some pretty cool Ancient Art - Indian / Asian / Egyptian - that sort of stuff is always cool as a kid, the stuff from tombs and what have you. I've heard the EcoTarium in Worcester is also quite good - it's like a zoo / science learning center mix. Worcester's more central MA, but ~1hr travel.

Springfield has some museums too I think, but I haven't really explored any of them.

There's also a Six Flags in Springfield, the younger kids might be too young to really do/enjoy that that though, I don't know.

The Wolf
05-27-2010, 09:11 AM
There are a lot of good parks and conservation areas if you enjoy the out doors. Mill River in Amherst is a pretty nice one that has a covered picnic area, playground and a nice path through the woods. Also, go eat at Antonio's pizza in downtown Amherst. You won't regret it

Finn
05-27-2010, 09:42 AM
@The Wolf: I have been to Antonio's once. We were in a hurry though, and could not properly enjoy the food or the place. But they sure do a brisk business.

On second thought, I may be confusing the place with another one in Northampton.

Dilettante
05-27-2010, 10:25 AM
India House in Northampton for Indian food. Hiking Mt. Greylock, the Norman Rockwell Museum, the MassMoCA, the Bridge of Flowers are all valid options at this time of year.

the Thin White Duke
05-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Speaking of food, if you want a good hunk of meat check out Caminito in Noho. Awesome Argentinean steak. If you're outdoorsy there are a lot of hikes. I'd second the Rockwell museum; in fact I'd recommend Stockbridge in general 'cause it's a cool town and it's close to Bash Bish Falls which is a cool trip also.

Finn
05-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Duke, can you tell me which hikes in particular are kid friendly?

the Thin White Duke
05-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Mount Greylock was mentioned, there's Northfield Mountain as well. If you want to drive a bit to Harvard Forest (I forget what town that's in) that's a low impact trail around a reservoir. There's also the "Arches" in Otis or Middlefield. That's a kind of ill-defined hike that goes past old railroad bridges and such. It's a nice hike but hidden away in the hills. Some of this stuff may also be outside your travel radius, so I may just be flapping my gums here...

baghdadbob
05-31-2010, 08:26 PM
I drive a taxi in Amherst i'll let you know what the deal is. This is almost every conceivable place you would want to go in the Amherst area.

-Emily Dickinson Museum -Amherst
-Eric Carle Museum -Amherst *Great place to bring kids*
-Miss Saigon (Vietnamese) *Get the pho* -Amherst
-Bare Mountain Trail -Granby/South Hadley Line *Great place to bring kids*
-Montague Book Mill -Montague
-Gohyhang Resturant (Korean) -Hadley
-Great Wall (Chinese) -Florence
-Amherst Brewing Company
-Northampton Brewing Company
-Fresh Side (American) -Amherst
-Judies (American) -Amherst
-Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory -South Deerfield
-East Side Grill (American) -Northampton *I give this my absolute highest recommendation*
-Captain Candy -Amherst *Great place to bring kids*
-Umass Library -Amherst *Sit out on the green near the pond*
-Puffers Pond *Might be a lot of locals there but none the less a very nice place to swim with the kids*
-Goten (Hibachi) -Sunderland
-Lake Wyola -Shutesbury *State park you can swim with the kids*
-Quabbin Reservoir -Belchertown
- La Fiorentina -Northampton

Your welcome!

P.S. DON'T GO TO ANTONIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.P.S. GO TO THE BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME IN SPRINGFIELD BEFORE IT CLOSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.P.P.S. DON'T GO TO SPAGHETTI FREDDIE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tanarin
05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
I think baghdadbob has it about right. Though he did forget Yankee Candle also in South Deerfield. Too bad you were not coming in late September, That is when the Big E happens. You also miss out on the airshow at Barnes in Westfield. Anyway if you can get down to the Springfield/Westfield Area, there is Stanley Park (http://www.stanleypark.org/), Forest Park and the Zoo (http://www.forestparkzoo.org/), The museums in Springfield (http://www.springfieldmuseums.org/), Basketball HoF, Six Flags NE, and the Mohawk Trail (http://www.mohawktrail.com/). I definitely recommend the Mohawk trail if you can spare a day to drive it.