PDA

View Full Version : Game layout in tournament.



Pact
06-07-2010, 02:35 AM
I'm planning on entering my first major tournament and my friend told me that I should ask about the way I play my cards.

Since I've started playing magic, I've always played my cards upside down. Pretty much my opponent can read my cards as if they were facing him, but they will look upside down to me. I'm not sure why I started playing like this but it's how I've played for years now.

My question is this: is this legal in tournament or will I get disqualified? My friend said that even if I play the game legally, there's still rules about the layout of your cards, like how your graveyard has to be all in one pile even if it's huge. I guess question 2: are there any other layout rules I should be aware of?

Thanks!

heroicraptor
06-07-2010, 02:41 AM
As long as it's understandable which cards are tapped and which aren't and what cards are what cards, it doesn't matter how you lay out your cards.

Pinder
06-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Actually, there is at least one pro I've heard of that does this on purpose. It's completely legal.

Valtrix
06-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah. The zoo player (Matt Smith), who was just in the finals at the Star City games 5k played upsidedown. It is legal. There's no reason why it should be illegal, as long as it's clear what's happening. For example, you could use coins or dice to represent tokens, but one way isn't necessarily "proper". If worst comes to worst (which it shouldn't) the judges would just tell you play not upside-down, not disqualify you or anything.

anonymos
06-16-2010, 03:13 PM
It's also really good for confusing your opponent. At least you aren't doing like one kid I saw playing in San Diego did. He'd play his stuff on top of yours then screech "Don't touch my cards!" when you went to remove them.

Nihil Credo
06-18-2010, 04:54 AM
You'll be fine unless you bring your Jushi Apprentice deck.