PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Revamped TopControl

Vacrix
07-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Sphinx and Confidant net you mad card advantage, and are especially good with Top. Top is also great with fetches and counterbalance. Ideally, you stall with some early removal until you can get counterbalance down. Then, protect a creature that nets you more cards to deal with your opponent's threats. Post-board you have a game plan against Ichorid, a much improve plan against combo, and up the removal count to 11 (4 STP, 4 PtE, and 3 Mind Harness).

From the spoiler:
Conundrum Sphinx 2UU
Creature - Sphinx
Whenever Conundrum Sphinx attacks, each player names a card. Then each player reveals the top card of his or her library. If the card a player revealed is the card he or she named, that player puts that card into his or her hand. If it's not, that player puts it on the bottom of his or her library.
4/4

Revamped TopControl
4 Force of Will
4 Counterbalance
3 Counterspell
3 Spell Snare

4 Conundrum Sphinx
4 Dark Confidant

4 Brainstorm
4 Sensei’s Diving Top

4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Path to Exile

4 Mishra’s Factory
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
3 Tundra
2 Underground Sea
2 Scrublands
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp

SB:
3 Enlightened Tutor
3 Mind Harness
2 Jotun Grunt
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Tormod’s Crypt
1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
1 Ethersworn Cannonist
1 Path to Exile
1 Oblivion Ring

Just a rough list to stimulate some discussion. Sphinx is confidant on steroids. It ends the game quickly, evasively, and either draws you more cards, or moves chaff to the bottom. Its out of Bolt range too, unlike Confidant.

Philipp2293
07-01-2010, 08:22 AM
You might consider Perish for the SB, and something to side in in the mirror, when the Sphinx might suck.

deadlock
07-01-2010, 08:29 AM
I think it could go in the Jace / Sower (4cmc) slot of existing countertop decks. You definitly need green for Grip to shut down opposing SDTs.

Vacrix
07-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Perish sounds good. When would Sphinx be bad? It blocks as a 4/4.. which means it profitably blocks most of the small dudes in aggro. It is out of bolt range, and draws me more counterspells and removal.

I don't want to splash green to run Grip. Otherwise, I might as well also play a bunch of other cards. I think I would rather just play Pithing Needle post-board as that shuts down some other cards as well, like Vial.

I think black is being underutilized. What else can I run?

Philipp2293
07-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Perish sounds good. When would Sphinx be bad? It blocks as a 4/4.. which means it profitably blocks most of the small dudes in aggro. It is out of bolt range, and draws me more counterspells and removal.

I mean that Sphinx might turn out to be not optimal if you face other decks with Top, where you are forced to leave it home because your op gets his top online faster. This should be adressed in the SB.

Vacrix
07-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Well its a 4cc so even if he does get Top online, counterbalance will rarely counter Sphinx, and if Sphinx is out, he provides me with the option to draw into the cards I need. Pithing Needle would work well in the mirror, shutting down Top.

Also, Spell Snare is GREAT in the mirror, countering both CB and Goyfs.