PDA

View Full Version : Top 2 with Rb Goblins 83 people tournament

ScatmanX
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
So, goblins almost takes the cake here in Brazil.
I decided to go to the tournament only 8 hours before it, getting drunk in a bar, where people convinced me it would be a nice idea... so here we go.
83 players Tournament, with 7 rounds swiss + Top 8 (wich I could not play). Prizes for the top 8 of the Swiss.
Looking around the field, I decided just to do a couple of changes: -1 Earwig Squad MD for a Sharpshooter, due to lots of tribal, and SB -4 Planar Void to +4 Faerie Macabre, due to lots or Reanimators and no Dredge or Agroo Loam.

The final list was:

// Lands
2 [9E] Mountain
4 [B] Badlands
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
2 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
4 [TE] Wasteland
2 [MM] Rishadan Port
3 [IA] Snow-Covered Mountain
1 [IA] Snow-Covered Swamp
1 [ON] Wooded Foothills

// Creatures
4 [US] Goblin Lackey
4 [ON] Goblin Piledriver
2 [M10] Goblin Chieftain
3 [LE] Gempalm Incinerator
4 [US] Goblin Matron
4 [AP] Goblin Ringleader
2 [10E] Siege-Gang Commander
1 [PLC] Stingscourger
4 [SC] Goblin Warchief
1 [LRW] Wort, Boggart Auntie
1 [ON] Goblin Sharpshooter

// Spells
4 [DS] AEther Vial
3 [MOR] Warren Weirding

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [SHM] Faerie Macabre
SB: 3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 4 [6E] Perish
SB: 3 [AL] Pyrokinesis
SB: 1 [U] Red Elemental Blast

Round 1 - Daniel - Zoo

Game 1 - He starts, and passes, or Chains me. I drop a Vial. He drops a Pridemage. I drop another vial. He drops a Goyf, hits me, and passes. I do nothing relevant for the turn, a Matron I guess, and he drops a Sylvan Library and hits me, taking me to 10. He destroys a Vial with Pridemage, and I kill the Goyf with Weirdings, so I'm looking good now. I manage to Vial in a Wort eot, that gets me back Weirdings, and kill another guy. My double waste and Port shut him off removal, so Wort manage to stick around 3 more turns, getting me back Weirdings and 2 Gempalms, giving me enough edge to win the game.
Game 2 - He leads with land, Kird Ape. I land and pass, with 2 Perish, a Knesis, Ringleader, Siege-Gang and lands in hand. He hits and drops a Library. Next turn I draw a Warchief, to pitch to Knesis, and kill Ape. I have a couple of Wastes and a Port to slow him down, while I find a Vial. He is kind of flooded, so he soon drops a Relicary, that I Perish. He then drops Goyf, and I draw a 3rd Perish, so feel comfortable killing it with the 2nd. He finds only fetch with Library, and shuffle away his cards. I get Ringleader down, that sticks for a while. He finds some business and eventually takes me down to 8, while he's at 17. But he with 0 cards, and I have 3-4. I drop a Wort. He looks at his top 3, looks at me, and says: I pay 8, going to 9 life, and keeping the 3 cards. He Paths my Wort, and drops double Nacatl. I smile, since I have enough mana to: Perish + Warchief + Piledriver, that I was saving for the alfa strike afraid of a sweeper. So I kill him.
Nice way to start a tournament, by beating Zoo.
2-0

1-0

Round 2 - Kalaboca - Eva Depths

Game 1 - I mull to 6 on the play, and keeps a 2 Vial, Swamp, and 3 3cc+ dudes. Both Vial sticks, but he has a turns 2 Dark Confidant, that sticks for 3 turns, revealing 2 lands and an Inquisition. He also drops 2 Finks and a Goyf. When I found my 2nd mana, I vial a Stingscouger for a Finks, Gempalm the Confidant and block a Goyf. He gets me down to 10. I have in my turn 1 Vial at 5, and 1 at 3. He attacks, and I Vial a Siege-Gang, and block all his guys with tokens. My vialed Matron gets me the other Siege-Gang. That enters the battlefield with a Chieftain in his turn, allowing me some better trades. He cannot find his Hexmage, so some turn I hit for 11, then 8. He can't kill me, so I kill him in the next one.
Game 2 - I mull to 6 with 4 lands, Lackey and Piledriver. My Lackey manages to connect, but I drew nothing. He is a little slow to, getting Bob and Hexmage. I drop a Chieftain and a Stingscouger, trying to beat him fast, while landing a Needle on Hexmage. Unfortunately, stupid as I am, attack with my dudes into his, forgetting that that Chinese Hexmage has First Strike. So, he gets an edge, killing My lackey and Chieftain, and next 3 turns I don't draw Matron, Ringleader or Siege-Gang or Wort, while he finds Finks and Goyfs. On to g3.
Game 3 - Quick one. I open with Lackey, that connects, putting Siege-Gang down. His 2nd turn he Goyfs, but I gempalm it. My 3r I drop a Chieftain and bash him to 5. His turn he has Hexmage + Dark Depths, but is 1 turn too slow, since I have letal on the table by turn 4.
2-1

2-0

Round 3 - Reginaldo Costa - Show and Tell/Sneak Attack + Emrakul/Progenitus

Game 1 - I lead with Lackey, and seeing an Emrakul, and blue in the deck, I drop Matron fetching for Stingscouger. Then Warchief/Matron and Piledriver joins my team, and kill him in the next 2 turns. He FoWs something, but that don't slow me down.
Game 2 - I see he siding in Pyroclasm. He leads with Volcanic. I Waste and passes. he drops Mountain, and I a Vial. He drops ancient Tomb, Seething Song, Sneak Attack, Emrakul. Next turn he has a Progenitus.
Game 3 - I play safe this one, trying not to die to Clasm, neither to Show and Tell, only getting 1 of my 2 Lackeys down, and leaving 1 of my 2 Matrons in hand, to fetch a Stingscouger. In the end of the game, I have 1 Lackey, 1 Matron, 1 Siege Gang and 2 Tokens in play. He's at 8, and I have 3 tapped lands, and 1 in hand. He casts Seething song, goes back, wich I let, and goes for Show and Tell. He gets Emrakul, and My Matron Fetches Stingscouger. My turn I bounce his 15/15, and Hit him and kill him. Had he forced my Sting, I would still had enough to kill him. Had he Sneak Attacked me next turn, I would have 6 permanents to sac and kill him in the next turn.
2-1

3-0

Round 4 - Shimi - C/T Progenitus

Game 1 - He leads with Island, I with Lackey. He fetches and StP's it. I tap His Tundra. He has Tropical + Goyf. I have Weirdings + Waste. I drop a Vial, and tap his lands with a Port. Vial at 2 gets me a Piledriver, and at 3 a Chieftain, that hist for 6. He drops that 2/3 flying dude to block my Chieftain and kill my vial, but I have another Chieftain, and put him down to 2. He can't swing the game back.
Game 2 - He opens with Island, EE. I drop a Lackey or a Vial, to call it. He explodes it hos turn, dropping a Tropical. I drop Port, and port him. He misses his land drop. I Waste his Tropical, and tap his Island. He manages to StP 3 of my dudes, that took a while to hit the table, since I was gathering mana, but I eventually flood him with dudes, and kill him.
2-0

4-0

Round 5 - Felipe - U Merfolk

Game 1 - He starts with a 2nd turn Corahelm to block my Lackey. I get a Piledriver. He upps his Corahelm to the max, and gets Silvergil, and a Lord, then another Lord. Meanwhile he double dazes a Matron on mine, then I get a lousy Ringleader. I try to get enough dudes down to kill him with 1 swing. Im a given turn he FoWs another Matron. He then hits me with his 6/6 fly. I topdeck garbage. He hits me agains, this time with Jitte, killing My driver, and taking me to 6. I draw a Gempalm. Well, lets see. I kill a blocker, and get a Ringleader. I cast it, and it reveals me a Piledriver. I swing for exactly his life total. hurrey!
Game 2 - I make the worst missplay of the day, costing me the game. He opens with Island. I look at my hand and have 2 lands, Vial, ReB, and dudes. What do I do? Land and Vial. Force. His 2nd turn he gets a Chill... I take 3-4 turns to get a 3rd land, grabbing a Vial in the process, but by the time it has 3 Counters, I'm preatty much dead already...
Game 3 - This one taes forever. He gets Silvergil, Reejerey and a Mutavault. I Knesis his 2 dudes, but he Forces. My turn a draw a Lackey to Knesis them again. He gets 1 Corahelm and another Lord, while I have something like Piledriver and Warchief. Unfortunately, I don't get Matrons, and my 1 Ringleader sucked, and my dudes don't fly...
1-2

4-1

Round 6 - Vitor - U Merfolk

Game 1 - He is fast, with a 4/4 Corahelm, 2 Cursecatchers and a Lord. I manage to get 2 Warchiefs, a Matron and 1 Piledriver, and a Vial at 1, when he swings with everything, taking me to 4, and leaving 2 lands open. I realize I could Matron (that I had in hand) and Vial Piledriver and kill him, but he looks too confidant, so I don't do It. I Matron for a Piledriver, but don't Vial it, and try to hit. He Echoing Truths my warchiefs before I do. My turn, he swings with his team, super confidant again, so I vial a Stinscourer, to Bounce the upped Corahelm, and get to block all his dudes, levaing him with a 2/2 Corahelm. My next turn I could not kill him in 1 shot, but swing with everything. He has 4 lands out, but I have a Port, that taps an Island Upkeep. He fails to draw a land, and can only hit me for 3, getting me down to 1, and I kill hin on my turn.
Game 2 - He opens super fast this time, getting Silvergil, Reejerey and 2 Mutavaults. I get to Vial a Piledriver in response to his Echoing Truth at Vial. He Standstills and hit. Piledriver + Gemaplm kill his lord. Next turn he swings with Mutavaults, and Gempalm can kill one of his goblins under Standstill, taking me to 9. My turn I bait a Force with Vial, but he has not, so I drop Warchief and swing. He drops all his cards, getting Corahelm with no counters, a Silvergil and 2 Cursecathers. I cast my Sharpshooter, that leaves him with Corahelm, hit him, and get the kill next turn.
2-0

5-1

Round 7 - Boy - Rbg Goblins

Game 1 - I lead with Lackey, he with Vial. I lackey a Matron to get a Gempalm. Lacey gets in there again, dropping a Chieftain. I have Gempalm and Ringleader in hand, where he has no Gempalm, so I win 2 turns later.
Game 2 - He leads with Lackey. I drop Lackey. He swings, I block, and he gets land and another Lackey. I drop Port, Vial and Lackey. He swings again, and I block again. He Matrons for Ringleader. My turn I drop another land, and Port him out of Ringleader at his Upkeep. He drops lands and passes. I Cast Warchief, Vial Piledriver, and hit.His turn he taps all lands and gets an Siege-Gang. My turn I Matron for Sharpshooter, kill 3 tokens and Matron, and hit for a lot. Next turn he could not do enough to recover, so I kill him my turn.
2-0

6-1
Total of 13-4

That takes me only to 2nd place, since the Merfolk I lost had only 1 draw, and it netted me only 17 booster. Kind of lame, but what can I do...
The deck performed rock solid all day long. Mulling to 6 is never an issue, due to all card advantage it can generate so fast, so I think I mulled here more than I was used to.
All cards were great here, and I wouldn't change a thing.
Don't get why people still say that Zoo is a hard MU. My last 3 times I beated it 2-0,2-0,2-1. 4 Perish, 3 Knesis, 3 Weirdings, 1 Stingscouger, 2-3 Gempalms is enough to win there. Just stay above 10 life.
Only bad MU in the tournament was a TES, from a friend, that went 5-1-1, so luck to not get paired with. There were 3-4 enchantress also, but I never lost to it the 3 times I faced it, so I don't consider it bad.

All in all, it was nice to get to go to a tournament with 83+ people. It's kind of rare around here, and a 7 round swiss is way cooler than a 6 or 5 round one...

Props:
Super Bizarros team, for getting me drunk the night before, and convincing me to go.
1 offs, that simply win games.
Bounce on Emrakul.
3 top 8 in last 4 tournaments.
The Source English corretor.

Slops:
Loosing to Merfolk.
17 booster award.
Getting home by midnight.
TES losing to Zoo in the final of the top8.

Till next one.

Fuzzy
08-02-2010, 01:39 PM
PV with Faeries = Scatman with Goblins.

Gratz!

Shimi
08-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Gratz Scat!! By the way, where is the Source English corretor?

lebarion
08-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Congratz, man!
You should ask the organizers of Brazilian champ for bye 3 in the finals!

ThalesCG
08-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey! Congratulations for the results :D
I've just read it at LM but here you posted even the decklist :(
You should do that THERE too =P

Have you ever test lightning bolts? What do you think? Hehe, and what about Ports? Did they help you (considering that you r using only 2 copies)

Congratz ;) Cya!

Fuzzy
08-04-2010, 02:43 PM

Have you ever test lightning bolts? What do you think? Hehe, and what about Ports? Did they help you (considering that you r using only 2 copies)

Congratz ;) Cya!

We don't like brazilian people copying our decklist. It's made with lots of love and fun, then they see it and think "Hmm, Warchief isn't good enought" and FUCK THE WHOLE THING UP!

ScatmanX
08-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Congratz ;) Cya!

Thanks!
Yes, I have played with Lightning Bolts already. 4 MD for quite some time. They were very, very good, allowing me more Lackey and Instigator connects, and sometimes burning my opponent to death, or doing fancy combat tricks. After some time testing, and some tournament plays with it, got to the conclusion that, despite they appearing to be very good, they decrease the overall consistency of the deck, which ended up hurting more than helping. Now the deck is way more stable, and I still get to play 7 Removal spells MD.

Ports are awesome, and they helped me win lots of games, in this tournament also. The Swamp used to be a 3rd Port, but due to the rising of New Horizons, and now more Merfolk, I think the basic swamp is a good call. Also, I've cut Instigators and Mogg Warmarchall from the list, having only 4 Piledrivers as a real 2cc, so Port helps me curve out better. Right now, the number is right to help me when I need them, and don't fuck me up when I don't...

And I don't post decks on LM basically because of what Fuzzy said. All my card choices have been severely tested, and the average user on LM don't care about that... If the person is a Source user, he will be able to see it. And if anyone asks me for the list via PM, and want to discuss something, I'll be more than happy to do it.

Caspid
08-08-2010, 03:37 AM
As a person who's pretty new to Magic and Legacy and working on a Rb Goblins deck, this was pretty helpful in figuring out how it's meant to be played. Thanks a lot!

ps: I'd be really interested in play-by-plays or videos of mono red or Rb Goblins if anyone's got em.

ScatmanX
08-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks! =D

I dont really think the data you are interested on exist. Sometimes there are some videos around here, but that's it...

maurobad2k4
08-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Scatman, The Goblin King !! I watched the match against Merfolk.. that Jitte really bothered you a lot.

bakofried
08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I was wondering what that misplay against merfolk was. Maybe I'm stupid, but I just can't find it.

markbris
08-09-2010, 08:01 PM
As a person who's pretty new to Magic and Legacy and working on a Rb Goblins deck, this was pretty helpful in figuring out how it's meant to be played. Thanks a lot!

ps: I'd be really interested in play-by-plays or videos of mono red or Rb Goblins if anyone's got em.

I have videos of rb goblins on mws in my signature.

Justin
08-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I was wondering what that misplay against merfolk was. Maybe I'm stupid, but I just can't find it.

He had got his Aether Vial countered by Force of Will when he had a Red Elemental Blast in hand, but no mana to cast it because it was turn one. He should have waited to try to cast the Vial next turn when he had an answer to the Force. By trying to play the Vial on turn one, he also could have walked into Daze. The right play was to wait until turn two to cast the Vial.

ScatmanX
08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
He had got his Aether Vial countered by Force of Will when he had a Red Elemental Blast in hand, but no mana to cast it because it was turn one. He should have waited to try to cast the Vial next turn when he had an answer to the Force. By trying to play the Vial on turn one, he also could have walked into Daze. The right play was to wait until turn two to cast the Vial.

This. In my 2nd turn Vial could only be counter by 2x Daze or Daze+Force,
I should have waited a turn.
Also, in this specific matchup, if I had waited, I'd have ReB'd the Chill, and he would have Force'd the ReB. Then the Vial would hit play, and I would have had much better odds...

@mauro: yes, Jitte is really a pain, but it usually doesn't bother me that much. I have won g1 against an active one. Too bad none of my 3 Pithing Needles like to show up in the matchup...