PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think should be promoted to Adept?



luckme10
08-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Alright well the last post about adeptness has me thinking. Why not have a democratic vote on who you believe should be promoted to adeptest of the adept! I'll keep manual tallies based on suggestions and recommendations. Maybe the mods will care, maybe not. But for those of you who believe that certain individuals have earned the right to feel special by promoting a lighter blue color by their names, by all means, go for it. I'll even personally send the winners a congratulatory 4x Full Set of the Taco Bell Sauce Package, that Includes Mild, Medium, Hot, and Fire -to add to/distribute on their magic collections as they see fit. Let the recommendations begin!

Oh also, please try to provide some reasoning for your votes as well. You may post your replies here or send them anonymously via private message. I intend on running this honorable selection for a month until september 10th. Please have all recommendations posted by then.

Bryant Cook
08-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Generally its the adepts that vote on members of the community, not moderators. I mean, Moderators have the final say, however, it's up to adepts to weed through members. If people think they should be adepts, maybe they should step it up to become noticed.

luckme10
08-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Here lies the difference between a direct democracy and a representative democracy. I'm not saying we have any power to pick and chose, but it wouldn't hurt to say something, which is why I'm rewarding the winner with a Taco Bell Sauce compilation. And perhaps something even serious of this doesn't generate enough interest. This isn't a question of whether people "think they should be adepts", but rather, whether people think other people should be adepts.

Mark Sun
08-10-2010, 06:54 PM
I've been down this road before on another website (albeit from a different angle, as I was on the staff). From my experience as a staff member on said site, it is safe to assume that the hierarchy of The Source goes much deeper than what a regular member like you or me would perceive. Thus, it is better to let them handle the goods here. Generally, these nomination based threads just turn into popularity contests, which subsequently become flame wars.

luckme10
08-10-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm not here to argue that the higher members of the organization tend to have a deeper understanding of the knowledge base of individuals. However, I do believe, that the frequency of such debates, and lack of interest in the reputation system combined with the occasional argument has sprung a niche for personal opinion. I hope that such opinions can be expressed constructively, and perhaps anonymously to respect the privacy of individuals or fear of flaming. I hope thread will promote constructive questions as well. Such as, but not restricted to, "When was the last time an individual was promoted to adept status." and "How can we as a community work to improve individual participation and create internal mechanisms to create a sense of progress?"
Mainly, I'd like to address the population of individuals who have participate extensively in these forums, offer enlightening and constructive responses, deck innovations/inspirations, and have done so consistently for a long duration since joining this forum -As well as to give them recognition. A few people that cross my mind would be Hanni, Finn, and Aggro Zombies.

Peter_Rotten
08-10-2010, 07:15 PM
I've been down this road before on another website (albeit from a different angle, as I was on the staff). From my experience as a staff member on said site, it is safe to assume that the hierarchy of The Source goes much deeper than what a regular member like you or me would perceive. Thus, it is better to let them handle the goods here. Generally, these nomination based threads just turn into popularity contests, which subsequently become flame wars.

WOW! Voice of reason? Here's a new Adept! Promote ASAP.

beastman
08-10-2010, 07:41 PM
I just want my name to be pink.....

Aggro_zombies
08-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I just want my name to be pink.....
Whatever happened to Slay, anyway?

Atwa
08-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Whatever happened to Slay, anyway?

Look, now this is a much more interesting question then the one in the title.

MMogg
08-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Whatever happened to Slay, anyway?

My guess is he invented a machine that can roll 46 joints in 2.8 seconds.

beastman
08-10-2010, 08:07 PM
please make my name pink !!!!

luckme10
08-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Well I tried...

Aggro_zombies
08-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Well I tried...
To what? Get nominated?

luckme10
08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Have a discussion?

Bryant Cook
08-10-2010, 09:11 PM
We have an entire forum devoted to those.

kicks_422
08-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Why would anyone want to be an Adept? The only perk you get is you change your name's color.

Bryant Cook
08-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Why would anyone want to be an Adept? The only perk you get is you change your name's color.

- Respect.
- Larger PM Box.
- The "Great" Lounge.
- Larger ego.

socialite
08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
- Respect.
- Larger PM Box.
- The "Great" Lounge.
- Larger ego.

+Larger distance to fall when you fail.

Mark Sun
08-10-2010, 10:28 PM
WOW! Voice of reason? Here's a new Adept! Promote ASAP.

Sigh. I at least made a valid point, right? :frown:



I'm not here to argue that the higher members of the organization tend to have a deeper understanding of the knowledge base of individuals. However, I do believe, that the frequency of such debates, and lack of interest in the reputation system combined with the occasional argument has sprung a niche for personal opinion. I hope that such opinions can be expressed constructively, and perhaps anonymously to respect the privacy of individuals or fear of flaming. I hope thread will promote constructive questions as well. Such as, but not restricted to, "When was the last time an individual was promoted to adept status." and "How can we as a community work to improve individual participation and create internal mechanisms to create a sense of progress?"
Mainly, I'd like to address the population of individuals who have participate extensively in these forums, offer enlightening and constructive responses, deck innovations/inspirations, and have done so consistently for a long duration since joining this forum -As well as to give them recognition. A few people that cross my mind would be Hanni, Finn, and Aggro Zombies.

This is fair. I do understand where you are coming from after a deeper explanation. I'm a little disappointed that we have less debates on the format holistically sans the event of a crappy article, but as you probably already have noticed, the DtB/Established forums are doing pretty well. The reputation system has a minimal impact because it hasn't become part of the culture. Not all the Adepts are accustomed to the rep system (hell, neither are we), and why should they be? We were introduced this new system not very long ago, about seven months, which is what? A blink of the eye in terms of how long the Source has actually existed?

I'm not sure how the whole Adept thing came up, but I'm sure the whole process is time based.

majikal
08-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure how the whole Adept thing came up
It's a holdover from The Mana Drain if I recall correctly.

rocketrae21
08-11-2010, 12:36 AM
- Respect.
- Larger PM Box.
- The "Great" Lounge.
- Larger ego.

Your ego is quite large

dahcmai
08-11-2010, 12:55 AM
I'd settle for the taco sauce.

Leftconsin
08-11-2010, 04:01 AM
I have already picked out who I really listen to as frequently intelligent posters and their status as adept or not is completely irrelevant to me.

Jason
08-11-2010, 01:40 PM
+Larger distance to fall when you fail.

Bryant doesn't fail

beastman
08-11-2010, 03:41 PM
bryant doesn't fail

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freakish777
08-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Just to let you guys in on a little secret, the mods/admins have discussed the possibility of getting rid of the Adept group.

Really the only purpose the group serves at the moment is a "give people a cheat sheet filter on who's worth listening to."

With the new-ish reputation system in place, that's now taken care of also.


If you want the community to recognize you in some way shape or form, you need to step it up and stand out in a way that grabs people's attention (and not for the sake of grabbing people's attention, but because you legitimately have something to say that's worth listening to). I also highly encourage everyone to use the reputation system.

paK0
08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
This is the internet, where 90% of all people are idiots, any kind of democracy is bound to fail.

dahcmai
08-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Here's an idea, let's keep it the way it is because there's not been one single post yet that actually suggests a better idea. Sound good?

ns29738909498
08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
It destroyed my soul when i lost my adept status, as i forgot my login for ns2973......

Eddy Wally
08-13-2010, 05:57 PM
This is the internet, where 90% of all people are idiots, any kind of democracy is bound to fail.


How is that different from the rest of society?

Valtrix
08-13-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm a little disappointed that we have less debates on the format holistically sans the event of a crappy article, but as you probably already have noticed, the DtB/Established forums are doing pretty well.

Then engender your own debates. Take the core question of what an article that somebody writes is trying to get at (for example, the article on zoo vs. counterbalance), or perhaps a relevant question that's been on your mind or maybe in-game scenarios. Rather than making an article, pose the question to the community to discuss it. This sort of happens already from articles that are posted on the forums; however, I think that a lot of good could come from a question designed specifically to be a debate. It would take a little bit of work determining insightful questions, but almost certainly easier than writing an article. What I like about creating a discussion is that it's targeted at promoting participation, rather than just promoting knowledge of the format. I think that it would be a great exercise, even if it wasn't all that frequent. Having somebody, or a group of people, dedicated to doing this shouldn't be all that difficult, but I think could provide a lot of value to the forums and people's approaches to the format and Magic in general.

Finn
08-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Freakish, just a note: normal members can't use the reputation system. There is no option for actually giving an opinion except for adepts and up. I think it is doomed to failure as it is functioning now for the same reasons the adept system has never quite worked. But simply opening it to all members is an invitation for abuse. If such tools exist, the mod staff could make other restrictions such as a minimum post count before eligibility. Or minimum time since registration. Or maximum of one reputation point allocated to members per week to use as an opinion. Or some combination of these.

Oiolosse
08-16-2010, 09:37 AM
There should be no hierarchy of any kind. We are all hear to discuss and share ideas. What we say reflects our worth to the community.

DerFern
08-16-2010, 09:58 AM
There should be no hierarchy of any kind. We are all hear to discuss and share ideas. What we say reflects our worth to the community.
And now here is Tom with the weather.

Nightmare
08-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Irrelevant thread is irrelevant.

Oiolosse
08-17-2010, 09:30 AM
And now here is Tom with the weather.

To what does that allude?

freakish777
08-17-2010, 05:13 PM
To what does that allude?

I think he meant Ollie... Tom Tucker does the desk.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeUrIA64ZOI

Oiolosse
08-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Haha, funny. I still don't see the connection. What I said was that obvious?