PDA

View Full Version : EDH suggestions - a creatureless 99

(nameless one)
04-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Alright,

I feel like I want to build an EDH deck that would only have the general as the only creature. Any suggestions? And why should I chose that general?

Bignasty197
04-15-2011, 10:54 AM
If you play mostly 1v1, Vendilion Clique would be a good choice. Not sure if going completely creatureless is extremely beneficial though, I would always want to be playing Consecrated Sphinx. Blue has some of the strongest cards in the format and you could make a very powerful combo deck.

socialite
04-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Karn, Silver Golem
Vendilion Clique
Zur the Enchanter

Ideally each runs <5 creatures; my Karn list runs 5, I've seen Zur lists with around 3, and Clique can go alone.

There's no point in running no creatures when some are too good not to run. By running less creatures you still blank a lot of garbage people run to deal with them.

Zzharg
04-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Theres always Uril, the Miststalker, plus a load of auras.

TheArchitect
04-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Even Uril is best when you run like 5ish creatures (enchantresses, auratouched mage, and academy rector). I play Uril and thats how I do it at least. It seems silly to NOT run those. However, if you can live with having 5 creatures in your deck, or a slightly suboptimal list, Uril is awesome. If not Vendillion clique or Zur are really good with 1 creature.

Offler
04-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Hakim, Loreweaver

Maybe... he himself has flying and is decend 2/4

Rest seems to me as
False demise
Fools demise
Drake umbra
Eldrazi conscription
Auramancer's guise
Curiosity
Pemmin's Aura
Private research
Any combo with Second wind?
Sigil of sleep
Zephids embrace
Writ of passage

But it limits to blue only...

Any selfmilling enchantment/artifact... :D

Zlatzman
04-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Sadly it will force a mono-white deck, but you could run Mageta the Lion without having to consider losing your own creatures. The deck would still be better with creatures though.

Damnosus
04-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Try Thraximundar maybe. Great beater who does something the turn he comes into play, plus he is set in colors which allow you to play some nasty combos as well as some great removal.

Tammit67
04-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Lots of green acceleration, shroud effects, and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa? Just don't get hindered

Benjammn
04-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Try Thraximundar maybe. Great beater who does something the turn he comes into play, plus he is set in colors which allow you to play some nasty combos as well as some great removal.

I've heard of some nasty Thrax decks without creatures....my friend played one and got totally owned when he Bribery-ed him...
TBH, most of the "attacking" generals would work like Thrax, Rafiq, Zur, Godo, and Thada Adel.

Koby
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Ashling the Pilgrim and 99 mountains. LOL

Seriously, Xaehou Dun, the One-Eyed can easily play a creatureless monoblack control deck with the Commander acting as regrowth. Not a cheap option however.

GGoober
04-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Karn, Silver Golem
Vendilion Clique
Zur the Enchanter

Ideally each runs <5 creatures; my Karn list runs 5, I've seen Zur lists with around 3, and Clique can go alone.

There's no point in running no creatures when some are too good not to run. By running less creatures you still blank a lot of garbage people run to deal with them.

For less cheesy OP generals, I recommend: Ertai, the Corrupted

Play with a ton of enchantments, I personally play with a ton of stuf like Bitterblossom/Mobilization, the white epic spell that lets you tutor an enchantment every upkeep and you can't play spells for the rest of the game. He's been fun, obviously geared more for less cutthroat playstle.

But I'm in the Karn camp personally :P

Zach Tartell
04-18-2011, 04:23 PM
I play Horde of Notions with just Eternal Witness and Magister Sphinx. Just play control.

JackLacroix
04-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I recommend taking a look at Sharuum, The Hegemon. Outside of Duplicant, Sundering Titan, and Magister Sphinx, there are no creatures you absolutely have to run, and you don't even have to run those I listed. Your creaturebase is entirely dependent on what combos you choose to run with the deck.

TommyMadProphet
04-28-2011, 09:12 PM
I built a "creatureless" deck for fun, not thinking that it would be very good. I chose 8 1/2 Tails as the general and let me tell you, it can be nasty. I have pretty much every piece of good equipment (and some of the bad) and add in COP White and Story Circle and as long as you don't tap out, you can't be touched. It also runs 11 Wrath effects. Its pretty fun.

Aggro_zombies
04-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Sliver Queen and planeswalkers makes for a pretty potent combination.

ivanpei
04-29-2011, 04:50 AM
For less cheesy OP generals, I recommend: Ertai, the Corrupted

Play with a ton of enchantments, I personally play with a ton of stuf like Bitterblossom/Mobilization, the white epic spell that lets you tutor an enchantment every upkeep and you can't play spells for the rest of the game. He's been fun, obviously geared more for less cutthroat playstle.

But I'm in the Karn camp personally :P

I play a totally optimized Ertai deck (With Grim tutor, Drain, Imperial Seal etc) and it can be pretty broken. I still do play creatures, but they're mostly l33t ones like Shriekmaw, Mulldrifter etc etc. Ertai is one of the most underrated EDH generals IMO. Ertai + Any Token Generator = GG in 1 v 1. Even in multiplayer, tokens are awesome as chumpers/ win conditions and Ertai can be a very good general at protecting your combo finish. Pair it with Minamo/Sakashima and you have ultimate lockdown! Ok, I'm pretty evil.

GGoober
04-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah I built Ertai over Zur in multiplayer mainly because Zur = you lose because 3v1 gang you before you do anything. In 1v1, Zur is still much stronger (tutor and a turn faster much stronger than countering spells when you can just win with Necro all day long).

Ertai is just the stronger multiplayer general, without attracting too much hate from the playgroup and then stomp them out when you're ready. In 1v1, I'll just play Clique, everything else dies and loses to clique :P Zur is another really retarded 1v1 general.

dahcmai
05-01-2011, 11:11 PM
I have a virtually creatureless one using Chainer, Dementia Master as the General.

The idea behind it was to use every Abyss effect I could find and all the nasty stuff black has to offer including a pile of tutor effects. It's not completely creatureless as I have that flip Kamigawa guy that turns into an Abyss if three creatures die that turn and the black Myoijin for the discard, but that's pretty close.

You pretty much lock everyone out of playing creatures then kill them with things like Baneful Omen, Subversion, and Polluted Bonds as one way. That or using one of the several Drain Life cards like Exsanguinate, Consume Spirit, or Corrupt. Of course, there's also just playing Chainer himself and dumping all your life into him to grab everything you killed all in one shot to flood the board enough to get past your own enchantments.

It's pretty good, though fairly expensive due to some three kingdoms cards and a Grim tutor. I can post it if you want.

ivanpei
05-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I have a virtually creatureless one using Chainer, Dementia Master as the General.

The idea behind it was to use every Abyss effect I could find and all the nasty stuff black has to offer including a pile of tutor effects. It's not completely creatureless as I have that flip Kamigawa guy that turns into an Abyss if three creatures die that turn and the black Myoijin for the discard, but that's pretty close.

You pretty much lock everyone out of playing creatures then kill them with things like Baneful Omen, Subversion, and Polluted Bonds as one way. That or using one of the several Drain Life cards like Exsanguinate, Consume Spirit, or Corrupt. Of course, there's also just playing Chainer himself and dumping all your life into him to grab everything you killed all in one shot to flood the board enough to get past your own enchantments.

It's pretty good, though fairly expensive due to some three kingdoms cards and a Grim tutor. I can post it if you want.

Post the sexiness (scans preferable)!

Keiichi
05-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I play Oona, Queen of the Fae with only three other creatures:

A counterspell - Draining Whelk
A tutor - Trinket Mage
A mind control - Gilded Drake

The deck could work fine without them. Gilded Drake is there mostly for shinanegans with Mimic Vat and stealing an early general; Draining Whelk can get huge and is a terrible Bribery target; Trinket Mage grabs graveyard hate, Pithing Needle, SDT, and Sol Ring...

Planeswalkers, Oona, and three 9-mana combos in a U/B control shell.

bakofried
05-14-2011, 03:03 AM
Thrun comes to mind - though you are depriving yourself of Green's best resource. But he's the most resilient (to my knowledge).