PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Vial Soldiers



boneclub24
05-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I really wanted to make a viable (Vialble? :P) soldier deck for legacy, and I thought the traditional AEther Vial shell would work well enough. First the deck list:

Land: 20
12 Plains
4 Wasteland
4 Rishadan Port

Creatures: 25
4 Elite Vanguard
4 Daru Warchief
4 Field Marshal
4 Catapult Squad
4 Enlistment Officer
3 Veteran Armorsmith
2 Icatian Javelineers

Spells: 15
4 AEther Vial
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Enlightened Tutor
1 Aura of Silence
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Mobilization
1 Oblivion Ring

First we have to think: What do Soldiers have that is similar to Merfolk and Goblins?
-We have a few different Lords (one of which reduces cost)
-We have card advantage engines

Now, what do we lack?
-Goblin Lackey
-Counterspells
-Lots of other things

However, what do we have that they do not?
-Enlightened Tutor package
-The best removal spell in the game without splashing
-Catapult Squad
-Awesomeness of running legacy Soldiers

I'm still working on the E-Tutor package. Other cards to consider:
Preeminent Captain
Deftblade Elite
Captain of the Watch
Mutavault

Let it be noted that I want this to remain mono-colored. Thanks for reading :)

EDIT: There is also a package of Mana Tithe + Mental Misstep to consider.

morgan_coke
05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
replace daru warchief with enlistment officer, ditch the tutor package for honor of the pures and crusades. add more plains, you only have 12 white sources and 20 lands in a deck with no search or cantrips and a fairly high curve. lose swords to plowshares, captain of the watch costs a million mana, elite vanguard is smaller than every other legacy one-drop that attacks except for goblin lackey, cut it, goldmeadow harrier, mosquito guard, and boros recruit are all better options.

Honestly though, soldiers just don't have what it takes as a tribe to be successful in legacy right now. Merfolk has counters. Goblins have haste and tutors and lackey. Soldiers have none of those.

MGC_player
05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I agree cut Vanguard. I'm actually surprised you don't have Hada Freeblade or Kazandu Blademaster since they are efficient soldiers that can grow on their own without a lord. A one or two of Goldmeadow Harrier would also be good. Ranger of Eos could also offer you more card advantage and can tutor for Freeblade or Harrier. Also Mirror Entity could function as a lord effect and would help end the game faster than Warchief..

I personally think the tutor package is kinda meh. Cutting it would give you more room for soldiers to make your Enlistment Officers more effective.

La_Hire
05-13-2011, 08:36 AM
About a year ago I tested this:

(24)
1x Karakas
13x Plains
4x Rishadan Port
4x Wasteland
2x Ancient Tomb

(24)
4x Hada Freeblade
4x Kazandu Blademaster
4x Mirror Entity
4x Preeminent Captain
4x Enlistment Officer
2x Ranger of Eos
2x Jotun Grunt

(4)
4x Aether Vial
4x Swords to Plowshares

2x flex slot

I consider this list optimal if we opt to play a game similar to goblins and not going a weenie route with field marshalls and stuff.

I agree with the posts above on the statement that Wizards has not supported tribal soldiers enough for it to be viable in legacy.
Though there is some good synergy between Mirror Entity and the Allies (pump on top of +1 +1 counters, Entity is an ally)
and Stp > Lightning Bolt in Goblins, I found the tribe is not strong enough. I mean, preeminent captain is way weaker than lackey, and a turn 1 hada freeblade <<< T1 lackey or T1 Nacatl or T1 ritual ritual Tendrils.

Greenpoe
05-13-2011, 10:28 AM
I think Stompy Soldiers may be stronger than Vial soldiers. You can read about it here: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=309418
That way, you can power out a turn 1 Preeminent Captain (Chrome Mox+Stompy land) and win turn 3 with Captain of the Watch around. Plus, you've got beaters like Hero of Bladehold to come out on turn 2 or 3.

La_Hire
05-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Stompy decks often rely on a single threat after their initial disruption of chalice/trinisphere/bloodmoon. There is no sense in playing tribal soldiers when there is gonna be just one or two creatures on your side of the board. Also, though DS already runs rather inefficient threats like Gathan raiders and Rakdos Pit Dragon, they are still way ahead compared to something like Kor Hookmaster.
And, Hero of Bladehold is a knight