View Full Version : Mono G Veteran Explorer
Guy I Don't Know
05-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Tao's Veteran Explorer decklist gave me inspiration:
4 Veteran Explorer
4 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
4 Wall of Blossoms
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Scryb Ranger
4 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Thrun, The Last Troll
1 Terastadon
1 Progenitus
2 Staff of Domination
4 Green Sun’s Zenith
4 Beast Within
4 Natural Order
1 Dryad Arbor
21 Forests
Sideboard
1 Thrun, The Last Troll
2 Tormod’s Crypt
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Wickerbough Elder
2 Surgical Extaction
4 Null Rod
4 Seeds of Innocence
So far I am liking the deck. It won't win versus combo (I haven't tested it, but if it does, something is wrong) but it has game versus most everything else.
Trying to figure out the scryb ranger, wall of blossoms, staff of domination, and beast within slots. The scryb ranger might be better as another creature tutorable with GSZ. Beast within might not be needed, but it is nice having some interaction with the opponent :). Wall of blossoms is good but isn't awesome. I was trying out umezawa's jitte in the main, i think if wall of blossom was a creature that could use it, i would play it main.
I was thinking of playing something like spike weaver or avenger of zendikar in the main to gum up the board until you can win. Was also considering playing a woodfall primus
The sideboard I haven't tested at all. Tell me if you have any suggestions.
Prkchpsndwiches
05-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Seems like Veterna Explorer only dies to chump blocking and NO. I'd rather have Noble Hierarch in it's spot. Also maybe cut Wall of Blossoms for Wall of Roots? You get the blocker for aggro and some more mana ramp. Also maybe bring scryb out of the SB? Most decks splash for removal, and I can only see it being brought in vs blue stompy/mono blue merfolk.
Also if you can, I'd put in some fetches. Thin out the deck.
Beast Within is great and you have lots of dudes that block any 3/3's they'd get.
troopatroop
05-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Beast Within is great and you have lots of dudes that block any 3/3's they'd get.
What is wrong with people? How is 3cc removal that gives them a 3/3 even playable!?
Nonex
05-27-2011, 10:49 PM
As a Survival player that abused Veteran Explorer to the maximum before and after the ban, I can assure you that chumpblocking just isn't enough. I've lost games where my opponent just didn't attack into Explorers until the board was clearly developed and favored to him. You need something to sacrifice stuff whenever you want. I don't know if it's good or bad, but considering that your deck is monogreen and abuses Zenith, Starved Rusalka is pretty much your only choice.
@ troopatroop: instant speed is an interesting bonus, but the key is its mana cost and colors.
Guy I Don't Know
05-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Ok, so i hear that you think veteran explorer needs more synergy or needs to be taken out. Also fetches might be good. I think if they don't attack into your veteran explorers, the deck can capitilize on it. I am not saying it is a good play, but you can beast within veteran explorer if you have to. I will test some and ask for them not to attack me if I play a veteran explorer and see if they can win doing that. What do you think about playing 8 fetches? I could splash a savannah and plains to play gaddock teeg or some other sideboard card. gw etc creatures seem really good with GSZ. Any suggestions vs Sneak and Tell or Painted Stone? I am guessing Painted Stone would board in show and tells with emrakuls after board, or at least it is a possibility.
from Cairo
05-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Veteran Explorer w/o sacrifice outlets seems like poor accelleration. Active Rofellos is awesome, but in the presented decklist it's not tapping until turn 3.
Wouldn't a "Chalice Green" base (Mox, Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors, ESG) be a superior option to Veteran Explorer and Rofellos? It would seem like they can both power out the 4cc-6cc cards turn 3-4 and the Chalice route shuts down some tempo strategies and boosts your game against combo.
Guy I Don't Know
05-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Chalice green is better versus combo and is faster. Most likely it is better. I want to explore veteran explorer's potential.
So far the deck has been very fun to play, and has been able to win some games against competitive decks. Do you think that there should be any additional GSZ targets? I think the scryb sprite might be better something else. Maybe Viridian Zealot, fauna shaman, woodfall primus or Spike Weaver. Is there any green creatures that deal with flyers such emrakul, vendilion clique, coralhelm commander?
Nonex
05-27-2011, 11:55 PM
The only one to deal with all your examples is Elvish Skysweeper. Also Oran-Rief Recluse, but it doesn't work with Zenith.
Prkchpsndwiches
05-28-2011, 12:50 AM
@troop
It's very playable when u just don't care about a 3/3. When you have walls or bigger dudes it just doesnt matter. Also mono green lacks an instant removal spell that is as versatile. Of course Krosan Grip is there but this can hit anything.
kiblast
06-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Phyrexian Tower seems your best friend when you want to bury your own Explorer. BB is usally useful as can power out big GSZ's, or can be used with your Staffs, or Wurmcoils. You can play multiple copies of it or Crop Rotation for it.
Darkenslight
06-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Yup, you're very limited in green itself without artifacts like Altar of Dementia. There's a couple of Devour creatures, and some really obscure four-drops from Ice Age block, but that's it for sac outlets.
Living Wish is simply outstanding in this deck. It likely belongs in any end-game version of a Legacy mono-green deck (even elves, imho).
peace,
4eak
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.