PDA

View Full Version : Need help to sort some ideas. R/x/y Wildfiredeck for multiplayer.

NilsH
08-17-2011, 07:14 AM
I want to build a multiplayer commander deck based around Wildefire-type of effects. The plan is ramp with artifact mana, dump a big threat, clear the board (both lands and creatures) with Wildefire or something simular, and finally kill people. The traditional play is to float mana, play a LD spell, and then use the floating mana to play a big threat.
I’ll try to make the LD as asymmetrical as possible by using artifact ramp. I know some people frown upon LD, but I tired of ramp-ramp-ramp-bomb.deck, so I'll try punish them as best I can. Also, I think my meta is soft to manadenial in general.

I’m not sure which colors are the best ones. Red is pretty much given, but the secound and third color is open for disscussion. I’ll share my thoughts on each color. I think

I’ll settle for a tricolor build with one of these as my General: Numot, Oros, Crosis. (Mono Red is also a possiblity, but then I’ll probably just play Bryants Godo list).

Cards marked with * is cards I consider weak, allthough I haven’t tested this yet. The deck is still under construction.

Approx 35? Lands including
Darksteel Citadel
Flagstone of Trokair
*Artifact lands

Flagstones is only good if I’m running white. Artifact lands is soft to mass artifact removal, but makes Mox Opal more reliable and is nice with Welder.

Artifact Mana
Mox Opal
Mox Diamond
Mana Crypt
Sol Ring
*Mana Vault?
Grim Monolith
Signets
Talismans
Everflowing Chalice
Mind Stone
Fellowar Stone
Coalition Relic
Darksteel Ingot
Basalt Monolith
*Manalith?
Khalni Gem
Thran Dynamo
Gilded Lotus

I hope to include enough artifacts to make Mox Opal viable. Mana Vault is just a one shot acceleration, and doesn’t combo with Rings of Brightheart or Power Artifact like Grim and Basalt Monolith; so I’m not sure if it should be included.
Khalni Gem has some synergi with LD as I can play it, bounce 2 lands, and then play my mass LD spell.

Misc Artifacts
Crucible of Worlds
Rings of Brightheart
Sculpting Steel
Unwinding Clock
Mind's Eye
Voltaic Key
Sundering Titan
Wurmcoil Engine
Steel Hellkite

Rings of Brightheart combos for Infinite colorless mana with Basalt Monolith, and is strong with PW and the General(s).
Unwinding Clock seems good with all the artifact mana, and even better if I run artifact creatures.

White
Armaggedon
Ravages of War (Functional reprint of Armaggedon)
Catastrophe
Wrath of God
Day of Jugdement
Land Tax
Moat
Ghostly Prison

White offers the best mass LD spells, but there’s not many of them. I don’t have Ravages of War, and don’t plan to get it either. There are some good multicolored white spells as well.
Land Tax might not work if I blowing up lands, but it’s a strong card in genereal. I could make an enginge with Land Tax and Scroll Rack (and possible Treasure Hunt).

Red
Wildfire
Burning of Xinye (Functional reprint of Wildfire)
Destructive Force
Decree of Annihilation
Boom/Bust
Devastation
*Ruination
*Epicenter
*Impending Disaster

Faultline
Swirling Sandstorm

Goblin Welder
Viashino Heretic
Gorilla Shaman

Recoup
Wild Ricochet

Red has the stronges mass LD suite. Ruination seems best with lots of basics and Land Tax, not sure how good it will be in a tricolor deck. Epicenter seems strong, but I generally won’t have threshold before after the first boardwipe. Red also has some damagebased board wipes, artifact destruction and other tricks.

Blue
Land Equilibrium
Power Artifact
Force of Will
Mana Drain
Muddle the Mixture
Draining Whelk
*Training Grounds
Jace 1.0 and 2.0
Tezzeret 1.0
Gilded Drake
Consecrated Sphinx
Sphinx of Uthuun
Fact or Fiction
Rhystic Study
Intution
Thirst for Knowledge
(and other various card draw)
Control Magic
Bribery
Treashery
Propaganda
Phyrexian Metamorph

Blue offers counterspells, but 1-for-1s is weak in multiplayer; so I’ll only include the best ones. Mana Drain offer mana acceleration, Muddle is also a tutor, and FoW… is FoW.
Blue has card draw and filtering, and control magic type effects; which is nice. Also note that Land Equlibrium can make a soft lock with LD, and Power Artifact combos with the Monoliths.
Training Grounds might be worth it if I'm playing enough creatures with activated abilities like: Steel Heelkite, Gorilla Shaman, Sphinx of Magosi and the Dragon General(s) etc. Training Grounds also combos with
Filigree Sages and Khalni Gem; but I guess it's to weak.

Black
Demonic Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
*Imperial Seal
Praetor’s Grasp
Phyrexian Arena
Damnation
Lillana Vess
Nether Void
Rune-Scarred Demon

Black offers Tutors and Card draw. Nether Void seems good as an additional piece of mana denial.

Multicolored
Ajani Vengence
Venser, the sojourner
Tezzeret 2.0
Desolation Angel
Mystical Teachings
Nicol Bolas PW
Cruel Ultimatum
Swerve
Spellbound Dragon

Venser is allmost a lock with Sundering Titan, and has a nice synergy with a lot of other cards.
If I choose to play UBR it seems I’ll get more viable multicolored cards.

NilsH
08-18-2011, 04:54 AM
saved post for future updates.

Tog
08-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Another thought is floating mana through Jokulhaups or Obliterate and casting some win condition afterwards (like Upheaval). That said, I probably wouldn't want to play against this deck in EDH.