PDA

View Full Version : So, when are rav-duals being reprinted?

DragoFireheart
09-17-2011, 08:28 AM
There is no ****ing way I'm spending $30 on a land card in a format that's entire purpose was to make more accessible for players due to the prices of land of a different format (aka, Legacy). I'll wait for WotC to reprint the rav duals or something just as good. When can we expect that to happen I wonder? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?

(nameless one)
09-17-2011, 08:52 AM
There is no ****ing way I'm spending $30 on a land card in a format that's entire purpose was to make more accessible for players due to the prices of land of a different format (aka, Legacy). I'll wait for WotC to reprint the rav duals or something just as good. When can we expect that to happen I wonder? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?

I would say in a year, when Ravnica 2.0 see print.

Brushwagg
09-17-2011, 09:48 AM
I'd say they have to do it sooner then that to help support the format or it's going to wither because of prices. I'm playing Modern as a 2nd choice and if the Rav duals don't see print soon I'm going to drop Modern.

DragoFireheart
09-17-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd say they have to do it sooner then that to help support the format or it's going to wither because of prices. I'm playing Modern as a 2nd choice and if the Rav duals don't see print soon I'm going to drop Modern.

This. If Wizards wants to show they are serious, they need to do re-prints soon. Otherwise, people will give up on it and go back to Standard/Legacy/EDH.

dschalter
09-17-2011, 09:01 PM
everyone seems to ignore the gap between sets being released and sets being designed and finished.

perm
09-17-2011, 10:48 PM
the closest we can hope for is the block after innistrad, because innistrad already has its own type of dual and it would be quite hamfisted, unless you mean promotionals or something

Beatusnox
09-18-2011, 01:50 AM
the closest we can hope for is the block after innistrad, because innistrad already has its own type of dual and it would be quite hamfisted, unless you mean promotionals or something

either the core or october set of next year

dontbiteitholmes
09-18-2011, 02:16 AM
1: MTGSalvation reported that they had two separate "highly reliable" sources report that the block after Innistrad will be a return to Ravnica. If anyone would be the first to hear about information of this nature it would be the mod staff of MTGSalvation as they are the go to source for spoiler information and are rarely mislead by their "reliable sources" and usually very quick to dismiss frauds and fakes.

2: In the blogs that tied up the most recent Set Designer Challenge Rosewater who was lead design on Scars was talking about the essay questions that were asked of potential designers and answering them himself.

10. Choose a plane to revisit other than Dominaria or Mirrodin. What is a mechanical twist we could add if we revisit this plane?

The number one answer for this question was Ravnica by leaps and bounds. I believe Alara came in a distant second.

I tried to answer as many questions as I could, but this is one I just can't answer because this is something R&D has spent a lot of time thinking about and I don't want to give away any future plans. Scars of Mirrodin is the testing of the waters with a revisit to a popular plane. If it works out (and hint: it's working out quite well) we'll definitely entertain the idea of going back to other planes. Just as the idea of revisiting mechanics took a while for R&D to adopt, so to has the idea of revisiting planes. But don't worry ... we're getting there.
He posted this in November 2010, in the same article he writes his thoughts on one of the essay questions asked of all candidates...

What block do you feel did the best job of integrating design with creative? What is one more thing that could have been done to make it even better?

One of the most popular answers for this question was Time Spiral. The interesting thing about this answer is that I disagree with it. Time Spiral had a lot of internal references to past sets in it, but that's not what I feel integrating design and creative is really about. To me, the key to integrating design and creative is creating a world where mechanics and flavor work hand in hand to reveal a unified world. I found Time Spiral to be more gimmicky than integrated. (And let me stress that was a result of what design requested; the creative team did a wonderful job delivering what was asked of them.)

My top answer is Ravnica as I felt the design and creative worked together so well to fully flesh out the guilds. Each guild looked and felt right and played right as well. All the pieces came together to create something that was bigger than the pieces.

My number two answer is Scars of Mirrodin. The story we're telling is really hitting on all cylinders with the mechanics and flavor blending together very nicely. I also greatly enjoy how each side, Mirran and Phyrexian, has a distinctive mechanical feel that reinforces what they are.

My third answer is Shards of Alara as I really like how the design and creative created five distinct worlds in a way where they all felt connected yet each had its own identity.

link: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/116

So I would say you will see Ravnica duals again when we return to Ravnica this time next year.

perm
09-18-2011, 02:59 AM
That's awesome news, Ravnica is by far my favorite block, with timespiral coming next. Such high density of quality and interesting cards

Brushwagg
09-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm fine with it being the next block. However if Wizards wants to keep Modern going then they should probably make this info public, but probably won't.

perm
09-18-2011, 09:16 PM
everyone short sell shock lands, quick

hi-val
09-28-2011, 12:52 AM
I just wrote up a retrospective on RAV block for Quiet Spec. One of the things I noticed was that the shockland prices are really a lot more reasonable than they used to be, especially the playable ones. It's unlikely that you'll use Breeding Pool for Modern, but you can use things like Sacred Foundry and Temple Garden (both around $14). Blood Crypt has been closing under $10 and twenty minutes ago, I just scored two Godless Shrines for $12 apiece. You can also score reasonably-priced shocklands in the "For Sale" forum on www.magictraders.com for about the same as you'll pay for completed Ebay listings.

Until I did my research, I figured these cards were $30, too. A set of four Steam Vents just closed for $54 shipped! That's about $12.50 apiece! This is a GREAT time to be buying Rav duals. Remember that Seachrome Coast is only Standard-playable and is $8 at times; don't expect a reprint to drop these lands much lower.