PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Emrakul



optml
10-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Hey guys,

Just trying to use a cheap enchantment, hunting grounds to cheap in some swanky creatures (as always, Emrakul is always a good fallback).

The plan is to get threshhold, cast the cheap enchantment, and if they cast another spell you get emrakul into play. If they don't beat them with nimble mongoose or man-lands. Glittering Wish is there to access some swanky cards from your sideboard.

// Enchantment & Fetch
3x Hunting Grounds
4x Glittering wish
3x Eladamri's Call
4x Green Sun's Zenith

// Creatures
1x Emrakul
1x Xantid Swarm
1x Birds of Paradise
4x Nimble Mongoose

// Other
4x Mox Diamond
4x Swords to Plowshares
4x Sterling Grove

// Lands
4x Riftstone Portal
1x Dryad Arbor
4x Windswept Heath
4x Horizon Canopy
4x Savannah
3x Forest
3x Mishra's Factory
4x Flagstones of Trokair

1x Sideboard
1x Hunting Grounds
1x Anurid Brushhopper
1x Empyrial Archangel
1x Progenetius
1x Sphinx of the Steel Wind
....

It would be good to hear any thoughts on how to improve.
Or is it just a worse 'Show and Tell' deck?

Brushwagg
10-25-2011, 11:44 AM
I love Hunting Grounds, but how the hell do you get to Threshold? You have no Cantrips anywhere. So for starters get some in there.

Off the top of my head.

4x Hunting Grounds

4x Brainstorm
4x Ponder
4x Perordain

1x Emrakul
4x Mystic Snake
3x Draining Whelk
4x Tarogoyf
3x Pridemage

4x STP
2x Path

4x Force of Will

4x Trop
2x Tundra
1x Savannah
8x Fetches
1x Forest
1x Island
1x Plains

Probably get some Daze in there somewhere and probably KotR. Basically Snake is for the smaller spells and Whelk is for bigger things. That is what I use to play. Whelk probably isn't all that great anymore but you can always use fatties in that spot.

optml
10-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Well my thoughts are that I do have cantrips of sorts. Most spell that I play to get what is needed fill up the graveyard. Although, if I was going to go G/W/U, I would add in some mental note type cards to help.

Mox Diamond (discarding the land to get there)
Fetch lands / Horizon Canopy
Eladamri's Call
Green Sun

All fill up the g/y fairly speedy.

However, if it isn't sufficient, and I'm keeping G/W (which may change but I'm going to stick with it for now), I guess I could put cards that help with threshold.

Perhaps:

Ancient stirrings
life from the loam


Perhaps
+3 Ancient Stirrings
+3 Life from the Loam

-1 Glittering Wish
-1 Xantid Swarm
-1 Sterling Grove
-1 Forest
-2 Riftstone Portal

Any thoughts guys?

Brushwagg
10-26-2011, 07:22 AM
You need the Cantrips. Without them you will find getting to Threshold very slow, and then finding stuff will be also as difficult.

I'm thinking you never played a Threshold Style deck before? You want to be at Threshold turn 4 at the latest in this deck. Any later then it's not worth it.

Mental Note is horrible for this deck. If you flip Emrakul then your yard gets shuffled and then you have to start all over agin.

GSZ doesn't go into the yard unless it's countered and I really don't think it fits this deck.

Darkenslight
10-29-2011, 06:56 AM
I see a distinct lack of Mental Note and Predict. Turn one Mental Note, turn 2 Predict will almost certainly get you to Threshold turn 3. Add in some Lotus Petals, and you have the mana-fixing to go off turn 3 (that's Thresh+Hunting Grounds in play.)

Windux
10-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Mental Note + 1 Emrakul...the chances are not that high. And if you have THreshold already, just don't play the Note without having played Ponder or Brainstorm before.

4 Mental Note
4 Predict
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
8-9 Fetchlands

I think that's neccesary even in this kind of Threshold deck.

Daze, Force for protection and StoP/Lightning Bolt as removal.