PDA

View Full Version : U/B SnappyNaught



jandax
10-28-2011, 11:48 AM
First time posting in this section, and first time working on a deck from the ground up.

Since the spoilage of Snapcaster Mage, I got to brewing. BUG decks were fun, and this card made the decks work in a whole new way. It's definitely a card to build around, and I think the list that follows is pretty well suited to hold SCM to its potential. Tempo and control are the main strengths of the deck. Discard and counters and Stifle and Wasteland. Good stuff.

Winning comes through beating down. And occasionally a planeswalker will win the day, but it's not the emphasis. This deck has evolved over the last few weeks, from play testing to the GP: AMS, and now its current version.

4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Dark Confidant
3 Phyrexian Dreadnaught
3 Delver of Secrets
4 Force of Will
2 Spell Snare
4 Hymn to Torach
4 Stifle
4 Brainstorm
2 Liliana of the Veil
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Dismember
1 Ghastly Demise

9 Fetch
4 Seas
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Wasteland
2 Island
1 Swamp
1 Creeping Tar Pit

Sideboard:
4 Surgical Extraction
3 Perish
3 Engineered Plague
2 Pithing Needle
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Thoughtseize

Depending on the matchup, discard or counters get boarded out for more removal or disruption from the side. It's kind of easy to guess, and I suppose a proper plan can be worked out.

The deck plays out like a typical tempo deck. Extra value comes from bob and tiago, and Dreadnaught/Stifle or bashing with uncontested creatures seals games. Knowing matchups is crucial, as the deck has the tools to exploit any weakness while playing to its own strengths.

I wouldn't call it a solid list just get, but a lot of testing has gone into it and I feel like every card choice can be backed up with some good arguements or statistics to warrant a slot in the deck. I'm interested to hear what you guys think, and if you've been playing around with similar lists.

Mr. Safety
10-28-2011, 01:09 PM
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Dark Confidant
3 Phyrexian Dreadnaught
3 Delver of Secrets
4 Force of Will
2 Spell Snare
4 Hymn to Torach
4 Stifle
4 Brainstorm
2 Liliana of the Veil
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Dismember
1 Ghastly Demise

9 Fetch
4 Seas
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Wasteland
2 Island
1 Swamp
1 Creeping Tar Pit

Sideboard:
4 Surgical Extraction
3 Perish
3 Engineered Plague
2 Pithing Needle
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Thoughtseize


Fixed. :wink: There is a discussion going on about this very deck that I mentioned in the thread 'Is Snapcaster better than Dark Confidant?'

Tim the Enchanter
10-31-2011, 02:09 PM
I've been thinking about a list very simlar to this one, but I added white. This is all theoretical since I haven't tested it at all or played Magic in month or two. My list is probably garbage since I'm trying to play a more control game with only 20 lands, but whatev.

4 Bob
4 Snapcaster
2 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Trinket Mage

2 Engineered Explosives
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 JTMS

4 Stifle
1 Trickbind
4 Brainstorm
4 StP
3 Vindicate (Liliana may be better but I love Vindicate, again it's not tested)
4 Daze
3 SP/Spell Snare/Counterspell??? (leaning towards SP but really not sure)

1 Island
3 Underground Sea
3 Tundra
9 Blue Fetches
4 Wasteland

maximumcarnage
11-11-2011, 12:35 AM
This is the list I've been tinkering with:

4x Dark Confidant
4x Phyrexian Dreadnought
3x Snapcaster Mage
2x Vendilion Clique

4x Stifle
1x Trickbind
4x Force of Will
3x Daze
4x Brainstorm
2x Ponder
4x Hymn to Tourach
2x Thoughtseize
2x Unearth
3x Dismember

4x Polluted Delta
2x Flooded Strand
2x Bloodstained Mire
4x Underground Sea
1x Swamp
1x Island
4x Wasteland

Not really set on a concrete sb yet, but there's where I'm at right now on the md. I was running Spell Snare because it seems really strong right now, but this deck seems like it wants to be pretty aggressive, so I'm certainly not above tapping out on the first 2-3 turns and I think Daze is better back-up. I think Unearth is really strong as well since it can target any of my creatures. I'm unsure about raising the Snapcaster count to 4 because I really don't want him clogging my hand up early, but I also run 4 Dreadnought, so maybe that's a little contradictory lol. Comments on card choices/numbers?