PDA

View Full Version : The Blasphemy thread



Dan Turner
01-01-2012, 02:39 PM
OK. There is not Legacy around me at all. Not any closer then about 200 miles.

What is the best standard website. This is my choice if I wish to play competitively in my area. I hate playing MTGO. I do play some legacy on there but it does not have the same charm for me as actually flipping down cards and turning them sideways.

OK rule one here Salvation NOOOOOOOOOOOO too many children there.

Thinking the Mothership may be my best bet for some real decks and good feedback.

I know I have pretty much everything I need for Legacy except the 6 hours every week to drive just to play Legacy. Money is not an issue so it is either Drafts or Standard for me so I can actually spend time outside of work with my kids and wife.

bfeingersh
01-01-2012, 02:48 PM
I occasionally lurk on GoodGamery but mostly just in the limited/humor threads. I think they have a standard brewing thread there.

Solaran_X
01-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Salvation is like the Yukon. You got to sift through a lot of crap and rocks and useless junk...but eventually, you find gold.

jandax
01-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Man, I'd take it as a challenge to start up a scene. Way mroe of a challenge than trying to top 8 any tournament.

Neuad
01-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I think the source should just add a Standard section. Even if it doesnt get a ton of use, it's not like it's hard and just make this the best magic forum all around.

Parax
01-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I think the source should just add a Standard section. Even if it doesnt get a ton of use, it's not like it's hard and just make this the best magic forum all around.

Would invite the kids that play standard.

Neuad
01-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Maybe some, but most people that see my play mat have no idea what the source is, even if they play legacy.

And its not like there's not an abundance of kid's here already.

dan who?
01-01-2012, 08:49 PM
I generally just use Starcitygames, Channelfireball, and TCGPlayer for my standard information as I can look at the 5k top16 every week, see what the grinders and pros are playing, and see what new brews people are working on without having to sift through useless forum posts. Also the mtgo meta shifts faster than paper so you might want to look at the 4-0s and 3-1s that place in the dailies for deck ideas and stuff. I haven't found a decent forum for standard so this is what I generally do.

Neuad
01-01-2012, 09:30 PM
I can only look at so many decklists. . not being able to discuss ideas or have feedback given is the hard part. And as much as I like most of the people I play FNM with, they aren't great magic players. Maybe my standards are too high due to my legacy background but meh.

TooCloseToTheSun
01-01-2012, 09:42 PM
I can only look at so many decklists. . not being able to discuss ideas or have feedback given is the hard part. And as much as I like most of the people I play FNM with, they aren't great magic players. Maybe my standards are too high due to my legacy background but meh.

And you think the opinions of randoms on the interwebz is more valuable? Most of the writers on SCG are pretty attentive to the comments on their articles also, so if you do have questions, they will usually answer them for you.

Neuad
01-01-2012, 09:46 PM
And you think the opinions of randoms on the interwebz is more valuable? Most of the writers on SCG are pretty attentive to the comments on their articles also, so if you do have questions, they will usually answer them for you.


The same could be said about why we come here for Legacy info?

TooCloseToTheSun
01-01-2012, 09:58 PM
The same could be said about why we come here for Legacy info?

Yes, yes it can be. This website has clearly gone down in productivity in the last couple years.

Neuad
01-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Yes, yes it can be. This website has clearly gone down in productivity in the last couple years.


I'll give you that, but also it's more input from many many sources all over the country and or world. Different meta games, different obscure cards, different people playing random decks. You don't have to take everyone seriously, but if 1 out of 20 posts is worth it, thats better then a quick kick in the dick.

Also, the deck I play in standard isn't a 'real' deck, but it puts up numbers so we've been working on it a lot in my playgroup.

TooCloseToTheSun
01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I'll give you that, but also it's more input from many many sources all over the country and or world. Different meta games, different obscure cards, different people playing random decks. You don't have to take everyone seriously, but if 1 out of 20 posts is worth it, thats better then a quick kick in the dick.

Also, the deck I play in standard isn't a 'real' deck, but it puts up numbers so we've been working on it a lot in my playgroup.

I guess if you don't mind sorting through the garbage then forums seem perfect. I personally would rather have the opinions of people who play the game at its highest level than sort through a mountain of trash posts. I mean its not like I only read one site, I read a lot of magic articles in a day and listen to a lot of podcasts. There is so much information out there it is never hard to get a list or advice on how to do something from a professional. Even twitter is an excellent resource for staying up to the minute on magic, and also a great way to communicate with other players. Also, my local community is packed with good to great legacy deck builders/players, and that helps when you want to bounce ideas off someone. But nothing can really replace doing the work of play testing, I mean someone eventually has to do it.

Neuad
01-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Well if you can find me someone discussing Standard U/B Heartless Architect and give me a link I'd be grateful, because I haven't found anything dicsussing builds that don't completely suck.

dahcmai
01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
I've been hunting a good one for a long time. There's nothing out there. Salvation is the only one where people actually talk besides mothership and both are typically worthless.

So I just read Channelfireball and SCG articles, watch the actual dailies, and use Salvation to grab new ideas.

I'll give Salvation credit for finding new ideas. Sometimes you find a winner in that mess of whiny children. Just don't read into any of the threads, it's not worth it. Even the rulings on rules are dead wrong half the time. It's really sad. Those guys will bash anything that didn't win the last SCG, so it's not worth reading into much. Just get the basics at most. I really don't understand how that site is popular really.

You have to just use your brain and figure out good strategies. Luckily, it's standard and that's not all that hard to do. Most of the actual good players just talk back and forth on Facebook now anyway so you're not going to find much.

makochman
01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
The Mothership. There's a bunch of people there in the Standard section that IMVHO are worth listening to (CyrusBales, MrIndigo, Glux, Burning Forest, ...) and people are generally nicer.

Einherjer
01-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Why not start a legacy-scene at your town? :)

OT: Mothership is ok i guess

Sims
01-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I think the source should just add a Standard section. Even if it doesnt get a ton of use, it's not like it's hard and just make this the best magic forum all around.

We've been there and done that... You'll notice it doesn't exist anymore. There is a reason.