PDA

View Full Version : [Help!] I call upon the Brain Trust of The Source: A strictly U/G deck



Kich867
01-28-2012, 04:31 AM
Disclaimer-- This post is very long, and very broad. The goal is to narrow it down severely. It is intentionally broad because it includes many ideas for a U/G Archetype. If it was not very long, it would encompass multiple threads per deck idea and I don't want to flood the forum with new threads.

I also understand that I'm not the best deck builder and any deck lists given were made as starting points for discussion to get across an idea.

Hello all. Since..pretty much the beginning of magic, Green has been my favorite color, it is both in magic and in real life. Blue a close second. I've even found U/G decks to be very, very enticing, but my problem thus far is they almost always require some third color. I don't want that.

I want a blue green deck. Offhand the only thing I can think of is Madness, which is, from my experience, generally quite bad. The card disadvantage you run into is crippling and you're without a hand within 3 turns, if they're not dead, you are, they're frequently not dead.

Madness feels... somewhat out of the question, the creatures aren't good enough and it's susceptible to graveyard hate.

I'm questioning the possibility of a "goodstuff.dec" u/g deck, it just doesn't seem good enough.

I've lately been thinking (after playing a lot of U/R delver) that I just want to play what I want to play. And at heart, what I've always wanted to play was a U/G deck.

So I'm calling upon the brain trust of the source to aid me in compiling either generally useful cards that don't immediately jump to mind (Brainstorm, Goyf, GSZ, etc are all quite standard) or powerful U/G card interactions that I may not have thought of, or, just input in general to the discussion of a U/G deck. What I don't want to hear is "Don't play this, you need to splash a third" or other generally negative comments--the point is to try to discover the best possible deck(s) using those two colors exclusively.

To start off, I've concluded that "Green Good Stuff + Blue Good Stuff = UG Good Stuff.dec" doesn't really work. It lacks synergy, removal, and in my opinion a coherent plan. The two colors are on other sides of the spectrum from each other (although Wizards feels compelled to give blue absurdly awesome aggressive creatures recently while giving green no means to play a controlling role), so much so that there is no middle-ground that connects the two colors. It needs that white, or red, or black, in order to achieve a competitive "Goodstuff.dec" status where the cards from G and U are supported by a third color and made stronger.

That leaves us with a predicament where goodstuff isn't what is going to fly, listing off the 5 best blue cards and the 5 best green cards aren't going to make a good deck. So we have to go farther, dig deeper. I compiled a list of U/G archetypes, as many as I could think of, and made starting lists for several of them with a pros/cons list to accompany it. It's 4:30am however, and this writing is taking a toll on my sleep time, so I can't finish them all today.

I would love your input.

U/G Weenie:
//Creatures: 16
4x Delver of Secrets
3x Mindshrieker
4x Nimble Mongoose
4x Tarmogoyf
1x Emrakul, The Aeon's Torn

//Spells: 22
4x Brainstorm
4x Worldly Tutor
4x Force of Will
4x Counterspell
3x Spell Pierce
3x Spell Snare

//Lands: 22
4x Tropical Island
4x Wasteland
4x Misty Rainforest
2x Flooded Strand
2x Verdant Catacombs
3x Forest
3x Island

I feel this is somewhat viable via creatures with some avoidance or natural protection. It also involves a combat trick in which you swing with Mindshrieker, Worldly Tutor emrakul to the top of your deck, mill him and hit for 16 while refreshing your graveyard into your library. However, there is a lack of synergy with Nimble Mongoose here, but I think that can be overlooked as a 16 damage swing is frequently game ending. Most people hit themselves to 16 off of fetch lands or some other means anyways.

The interesting thing here is that you can actually do this 3 mana repetition as many times as you have 3 mana + worldly tutor available, so if it hits late game and you have 6 mana open, it's entirely possible to hit someone for 31 damage via 2 worldly tutors.

Pros:
Will probably blow people out game one.
Worldly Tutor isn't a one-trick pony and can be used to fetch any creature EOT.
The deck curves out low and gives a ton of protection.
Potential third turn win: Delver turn 1, shrieker turn 2 + delver flip, Swing tutor mill for 19 damage turn 3.
Inherently resistant to mill strategies (not terribly relevant).

Cons:
No other creatures benefit from the worldly tutor combat trick.
Nimble Mongoose becomes much weaker of a choice, may find something else.
May rely to heavily on the Mindshrieker trick to kill people.
Has no removal (may not need it with avoidance).
-----------------------------------

U/G Landstill: (Should Jace be included in this?)
//Spells: 29
4x Brainstorm
4x Explore
2x Exploration
2x Life from the Loam
4x Force of Will
4x Counterspell
3x Spell Snare
1x Dispel
1x Spell Pierce
2x Treasure Hunt
2x Crop Rotation

//Enchantments: 7
4x Standstill
3x Drop of Honey

//Lands: 24
2x Wasteland
1x Maze of Ith
1x Halimar Depths
2x Faerie Conclave
2x Treetop Village
4x Mishra's Factory
4x Tropical Island
4x Misty Rainforest
1x Flooded Strand
1x Verdant Catacombs
1x Forest
1x Island

This would be something along my take on a blue green landstill deck. I noticed most of them were U/W/g or B/U/g with little emphasis on the green it seemed. The gist should be obvious here: get a lot of lands down, Drop of Honey and Counterspells keep the board occupied while you beat them with lands and take advantage of standstill. Drop of Honey is a powerful card in that it actually gets around Shroud, Protection from Green, even Progenitus' Protection from Everything -should- be avoided given that the creatures aren't targeted, they just die based on a criteria per turn.

Drop of Honey may not be fast enough, people may stop playing creatures to let it fizzle, but in the time they're not dropping creatures, I'm finding another Drop to play when they have 2-3 creatures on the board and most importantly they stopped dropping creatures.

I genuinely believe this is a stronger, more consistent strategy than the previous one, but I would like to hear other's opinions about it and talk about it.

Pros:
Drop of Honey is completely one-sided.
Lots of protection.
Lots of synergy between standstill and man lands.
Plenty of card draw / selection.
Acceleration
Flexible
Land recursion engine

Cons:
Could get hosed by U/R Delver via Price of Progress.
Fast aggro / Combo may be an issue but I honestly have no idea, I would have to playtest it.
A lot of lands that come into play tapped or don't tap for mana may cause issues.
----------------------------------------------------

U/G Vengevine Madness:
//Creatures: 20
4x Vengevine
4x Basking Rootwalla
4x Wild Mongrel
2x Aquamoeba
3x Waterfront Bouncer
3x Wonder

//Spells: 18
4x Brainstorm
4x Careful Study
4x Force of Will
2x Circular Logic
3x Spell Pierce
1x Roar of the Wurm

//Enchantments: 4
4x Standstill

//Lands: 18
4x Tropical Island
4x Misty Rainforest
2x Flooded Strand
2x Verdant Catacombs
3x Island
3x Forest

With 15 discard outlets, you have many setups towards your goal. Push yourself into a favorable board position early, drop the standstill to weather the card disadvantage and keep you fueled. Waterfront Bouncer combat tricks to get through / trigger vengevines.
-------------------------------------------------------------

U/G Midrange: Seems too janky. I don't see Tarmogoyf + Thrun + some other stuff and counters working effectively. Then again, Thrun is the honey badger of magic and casually rolls d20's to check whether he gives a fuck. He usually doesn't.

U/G Superfriends: Possibility, but doesn't seem particularly strong given the lack of targeted removal.

U/G Gro: Entirely possible, but I feel the only two worthwhile creatures that "Grow" (afaik) are Quirion Dryad and Tarmogoyf in just U/G. Blue has an absurd amount of cantrips to grow the hell out of Dryad's with counters to keep them alive, but 8 creatures isn't enough. Nimble Mongoose could find a spot here as well. Bant I think is a better option here though. Knight is a big deal.

U/G Ramp: This in theory sounds..ok? But I don't know what one would be ramping into. The reason this sounds ok to me is the fundamental principle that often times decks, especially right now, simply can't deal with "Big Fucking Creature #3" on the table. I've seen incredibly tuned, fast decks get chump blocked and held off by quite frankly--fucking terrible decks--until the late game when that 8/8 Trample hit the table and the StP's couldn't be found to survive the 2 turn clock you were just put on. Those decks usually lose, but I feel that those lose because they're often like "Janky Mono Green Old Standard" decks, but if a lot more thought and fine tuning was put into it, then a U/G Ramp deck that could reliably hit ~6 mana and not die actually sounds..completely alright. Especially right now where U/R Delver and RUG Tempo decks are fairly rampant. So maybe later I can develop a list for this, I just need to find the time and compile a list of powerful, realistically hard-casted big creatures that could be played in a ramp deck.

Nic Fit already shows us that this sort of deck is possible, so there is definitely potential here. Tomorrow afternoon, or if someone feels the urge to so kindly assist me in this endeavor, I'll compile a nice list of powerful creatures. Frost Titan comes to mind as a creature that I always thought was highly underrated given that he spell pierces everything thrown at him and has is own incredibly powerful evasion via stun-tapping.

Some kind of U/G Mavericky thing: (Megaman?)


a maverick-esque approach may be the best way to accomplish this (even though you won't have a way to execute land tricks without knight), and i have a feeling that'd end up looking like a U/G ***** list with a GSZ toolbox, but that doesn't really sound horrible. here's what i came up with on a first try:

3 noble hierarch
1 birds of paradise
1 dryad arbor

3-4 tarmogoyf
2 snapcaster mage
2-3 vendilion clique

1-2 trygon predator
1 scavenging ooze
1 scryb ranger
1 thrun, the last troll

4 green sun's zenith
4 brainstorm
3 force of will
3 spell snare
4 stifle
3 dismember
0-1 temporal spring

4 misty rainforest
2 windswept heath
1 scalding tarn
4 tropical island
4 forest
3 island
4 wasteland

something like that? the lack of removal feels really bad, but i'm sure you can sideboard cards that make up for that in the trouble match-ups. i'm a little iffy about dismember hitting you a little too hard though, and it sort of turns me off to the idea. even decks with "lots of removal" only run something like "4x lightning bolts" or "4x stp..." so, maybe dismember isn't terrible.

quick sideboard like:

1 force of will
2 krosan grip
1-2 tormod's crypt
2 phyrexian metamorph
2 surgical extraction
3 natural order
1 progenitus
2-3 jace, the mind sculptor


--I really enjoyed this list. Dismember was something that escaped me while thinking about this, but overall, I really enjoy this list. Spymaster may be a solid inclusion as a 1-of green sun target. This deck looks very strong, to be honest. This is essentially what I was going to post up so if it's cool I'll quote you instead. I like the ranges as well. Stifle may not be necessary, but it's a powerful card, especially since this deck plans on going into the late game, stifles on fetches or early Stoneforges can be game-winning. I'm on board with it but I can see that slot being something else, like even main-deck jaces or something.

This may be viable, but a lack of removal may force it to not work. On the flip side, you have -some- (few probably) combat tricks, Trygon Predator is absurd against stoneforge decks which could prove useful, so there's options there. The lack of removal is compensated with the inclusion of counterspells and great card selection consistency. Essentially a group of cheap efficient beaters + useful toolbox creatures to take control. Like I said, this doesn't sound terrible and I could see it being entirely doable, I'll have to fiddle with this later, too late right now.

So in ending, with what I've posted here do you feel there is a definitively stronger archetype than others (I certainly posted what I believed to be a stronger build but I'm interested in the opinions of others)? Is there something I perhaps missed here as an archetype? Do you have any experience trying some of these out and can give input on any strengths or weaknesses that one couldn't evaluate just by looking at a decklist?

Whippoorwill
01-28-2012, 05:26 AM
U/G Vengevine Madness: Willing to discuss this further but I don't feel like it's a viable strategy without Survival.

It's not nearly as good as the version with Survival, but its still decent. I played it for fun a couple months ago and didn't do too bad (either 2-2 or 3-1, can't remember). Main change to the original deck was including Intuition and Brainstorm. Turn 2 Mongrel > Pitch Vine(s) > Rootwalla is still good, especially when StP is seeing less play than usual (Extraction seeing more play does suck though). I also ran a transition into NO Prog in the SB.

Edit: Other options:

-NO Show (Natural Order/ Show and Tell deck that was popular for a brief time last year)
-U/G New Horizons-like deck. Replace StP with Dismember, Knight with Snapcaster/Nimble Mongoose/Delver?

I am the brainwasher
01-28-2012, 05:33 AM
4 Tropical Island
2 Island
1 Forest
4 Wasteland
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Scalding Tarn
1 Verdant Catacombs


4 Nimble Mongoose
3 Werebear
4 Tarmogoyf

4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Thoughtscour
4 Daze
4 Spell Snare
4 Force of Will
3 Stifle
3 Dismember
1 Rushing River


Sb:

3 Submerge
2 Mind Harness
2 Krosan Grip
3 Spell Pierce
3 Tormod's Crypt
2 Cursed Totem

Sloshthedark
01-28-2012, 06:24 AM
+Scavenging Ooze
and put some Berserk in =)

//
I recall some crazy UG Jace deck with 8 mana creatures and the rest is temporal spring/plow under/memory lapse/remand style of bounce effects and counterspells, so annoying i'd give it a try

Iron Buddha
01-28-2012, 06:57 AM
U/G lacks removal, as you have said it. How to solve that problem? I think you should go the most powerful route possible. So instead of dealing with threats through removal you just play a bigger dude.

// Lands 19
4 Wasteland
1 Dryad Arbor
14 Lands

// Enabler: 8
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Eternal Witness

// Endgame solution: 17
4 Stifle
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
4 Natural Order
1 Progenitus
4 Jace The Mind Sculptor

// 16
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Spell Pierce


EDIT:
I think the concept is very interesting. I've again changed it a bit. Eternal Witness looks like a great enabler along with Noble Hierarch. Witness can fetch the missing land scaling into 4c Bombs, can find the missing combo piece of Stifle/Dreadnought, and is a creature to sacrifice for NO. Jace TMS can easily be switched out for FoF. I'm not sure what is better. Daze looks great with such a low land count (only 19 lands). But you obviously don't bounce your land before reaching 4 mana for your 4c bombs except you go for Stifle/Nought.
Eternal Witness can also act as Wasteland 5-8. Now add Stifle, Daze, and Spell Pierce, and they will not see any land.

Slag
01-28-2012, 09:09 AM
A deck along the lines of UG gro does have Snapcaster Mage and Delver to round out the creature base these days. Snapcaster also has the benefit of making bounce slightly more viable as a removal option.

igri_is_a_bk
01-28-2012, 12:03 PM
You could try a UG Food Chain deck. It has some potential. You'd definitely be off the radar.

4 Misty Rainforest
4 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswept Heath
4 Tropical Island
3 Forest
1 Dryad Arbor
2 Gaea's Cradle

4 Brainstorm
4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Food Chain

4 Noble Hierarch
1 Llanowar Elves
4 Fauna Shaman
4 Vengevine
1 Wirewood Symbiote
1 Quirion Ranger
3 Fierce Empath
1 Aethersnipe
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Mulldrifter
2 Coiling Oracle
4 Elvish Visionary

Something like that. It's combo obviously, so it may be a different direction than you want.
Sweetest play available:
Evoke Mulldrifter for 3 mana, draw 2, sac to food chain for 6 mana. Nothing like a Black Lotus that draws 2 :cool:

Kich867
01-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Sweetest play available:
Evoke Mulldrifter for 3 mana, draw 2, sac to food chain for 6 mana. Nothing like a Black Lotus that draws 2 :cool:

Does that actually work? Is there a time between it coming into play and it being sacrificed where that's doable?

Going to try fiddling with a U/G Maverick sort of list and see how it looks, I'll be updating the OP with lists. I like a lot of the ideas here, in particular using Dismember as removal, that totally slipped my mind.

sillyandrew
01-28-2012, 01:16 PM
U/G Midrange: Seems too janky. I don't see Tarmogoyf + Thrun + some other stuff and counters working effectively. Then again, Thrun is the honey badger of magic and casually rolls d20's to check whether he gives a fuck. He usually doesn't.

i was doing some brainstorming yesterday, and i realized that there probably has to exist a viable midrange deck in every combination of two and three colors. i mean, just about every combination of tri-color midrange decks exist, and i can't see two color decks being any different.


Some kind of U/G Mavericky thing: (Megaman?) This may be viable, but a lack of removal may force it to not work. On the flip side, you have -some- (few probably) combat tricks, Trygon Predator is absurd against stoneforge decks which could prove useful, so there's options there. The lack of removal is compensated with the inclusion of counterspells and great card selection consistency. Essentially a group of cheap efficient beaters + useful toolbox creatures to take control. Like I said, this doesn't sound terrible and I could see it being entirely doable, I'll have to fiddle with this later, too late right now.

a maverick-esque approach may be the best way to accomplish this (even though you won't have a way to execute land tricks without knight), and i have a feeling that'd end up looking like a U/G ***** list with a GSZ toolbox, but that doesn't really sound horrible. here's what i came up with on a first try:


3 noble hierarch
1 birds of paradise
1 dryad arbor

3-4 tarmogoyf
2 snapcaster mage
2-3 vendilion clique

1-2 trygon predator
1 scavenging ooze
1 scryb ranger
1 thrun, the last troll

4 green sun's zenith
4 brainstorm
3 force of will
3 spell snare
4 stifle
3 dismember
0-1 temporal spring

4 misty rainforest
2 windswept heath
1 scalding tarn
4 tropical island
4 forest
3 island
4 wasteland

something like that? the lack of removal feels really bad, but i'm sure you can sideboard cards that make up for that in the trouble match-ups. i'm a little iffy about dismember hitting you a little too hard though, and it sort of turns me off to the idea. even decks with "lots of removal" only run something like "4x lightning bolts" or "4x stp..." so, maybe dismember isn't terrible.

quick sideboard like:

1 force of will
2 krosan grip
1-2 tormod's crypt
2 phyrexian metamorph
2 surgical extraction
3 natural order
1 progenitus
2-3 jace, the mind sculptor

probably horrible.

trivial_matters
01-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Does that actually work? Is there a time between it coming into play and it being sacrificed where that's doable?

Going to try fiddling with a U/G Maverick sort of list and see how it looks, I'll be updating the OP with lists. I like a lot of the ideas here, in particular using Dismember as removal, that totally slipped my mind.

Yeah, that works. Mulldrifter and Food Chain are great together.

Why bother with U/G Maverick? Lack of Knight of the Reliquary hurts too much. The best toolbox creatures are green (Witness, Ooze etc.) or green/white (Qasali Pridemage, Gaddock Teeg), with blue offering Trigon Predator and what else?
I don't think you can build something that's better than Maverick in its current forms or Bant only with U/G.

sillyandrew
01-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Why bother with U/G Maverick? Lack of Knight of the Reliquary hurts too much. The best toolbox creatures are green (Witness, Ooze etc.) or green/white (Qasali Pridemage, Gaddock Teeg), with blue offering Trigon Predator and what else?
I don't think you can build something that's better than Maverick in its current forms or Bant only with U/G.

i think, at least addressing these points here, both witness and ooze can be run very easily in a U/G shell, pridemage gets replaced with trygon predator, and you don't really need teeg because you have access to blue. i don't think it's possible to come up with a U/G list that's strictly better than maverick, but it doesn't have to be. it just needs to be a decent aggro/control deck that has a better combo match-up..

Kich867
01-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Yeah, that works. Mulldrifter and Food Chain are great together.

Why bother with U/G Maverick? Lack of Knight of the Reliquary hurts too much. The best toolbox creatures are green (Witness, Ooze etc.) or green/white (Qasali Pridemage, Gaddock Teeg), with blue offering Trigon Predator and what else?
I don't think you can build something that's better than Maverick in its current forms or Bant only with U/G.

Vendilion Clique, Delver of Secrets (probably iffy but maybe), Spellstutter Sprite, things like that.

And like andrew mentioned, I have no intention of making a tier 1 U/G Deck, but I do want something competitive. Currently playing atm, will update OP in an hour or two.

rxavage
01-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Why couldn't knight be in a straight U/G list? She can be tutored with gsz and you always have noble hierarch, bop, even lotus cobra for the white mana to hardcast if needed. It would be like maverick with brainstorm, counterspells and Jace instead of stp, pte, and sfm package. Also, you gain access to delver and snapcaster, I think it may even be superior to G/W and G/W/r in the mirror and a better combo matchup. This could be the start of the prophecized new counterbalance deck...


EDIT: Your gsz toolbox can also focus on better utility creatures like edric spymaster of tress or trygon predator, which would be very useful in several key matchups. You have plenty more options in simic colours and no dependence on the hatebears maverick needs.

Iron Buddha
01-28-2012, 01:57 PM
No love for my suggestion?

Who cares about KotR if you have something bigger like Progenitus, Jace TMS or Dreadnought?

igri_is_a_bk
01-28-2012, 02:04 PM
If you play Knight, you have to build your mana around him. He's also going to be your primary beater. You'll try to GSZ him every game. When you cross into white, you might as well play an established Bant or Maverick list. We're talking UG only, that means no Knight.

I think you're going to have a hard time finding a UG build outside of aggro-control or combo that will beat creature decks. That's a tough way to look at it too.

I don't think UG toolbox.dec makes sense because you would have to assume the control role. Any deck with white or black will probably do that better than you can. UG is a pretty bad color combo for controlling the board. So that means aggro-control or combo, to me.

So let's ask, what creatures are available? Hierarch, Delver, Nimble Mongoose, Snapcaster, Goyf, Ooze, Trygon Predator, Terravore, Kitchen Finks, Clique, Spellstutter Sprite, Cloud of Faeries, Thrun... I dunno what else, but if you just fill them in a good aggro-control shell, it shouldn't matter too match who you beat down with.

For combo, outside Food Chain, I don't know many good ones with those colors. Some weird High Tide thing with green splashed?

Iron Buddha
01-28-2012, 02:12 PM
So let's ask, what creatures are available? Hierarch, Delver, Nimble Mongoose, Snapcaster, Goyf, Ooze, Trygon Predator, Terravore, Kitchen Finks, Clique, Spellstutter Sprite, Cloud of Faeries, Thrun... I dunno what else, but if you just fill them in a good aggro-control shell, it shouldn't matter too match who you beat down with.
Natural Order Progenitus, Jace TMS, Stiflenought. Okay I've said that before...

Well, if you want to establish U/G as a viable archetype you shouldn't end up with a worse Maverick (Knight of the Reliquary) deck or a worse Tempo Thresh (Delver of Secrets) deck.

whienot
01-28-2012, 02:34 PM
For an additional combo archetype, there's UG Infect. Both Blazing Shoal and Invigorate+Berserk varieties can be built UG.

miko
01-28-2012, 02:43 PM
If I played UG, I would play Counterbalance, too.

dsck
01-28-2012, 03:14 PM
No love for my suggestion?

Who cares about KotR if you have something bigger like Progenitus, Jace TMS or Dreadnought?

I like your idea best so far. Nobles and Stifles dont play well together though.

4 Jace and 4 Spell Pierce could be 2 jaces and 2 pierces and you have 4 slots for something to improve the decks consistency (ponder?). It still does get wrecked by punishing fire though unless you have turn 2 nought with counter backup..


I was thinking some type of veteran explorer abuse in ug could be viable.

Iron Buddha
01-28-2012, 03:40 PM
You mean because you want to hold up your mana for Stifle, but that contradicts with playing Noble Hierarch? I don't think this is much of a problem, because depending on your hand and on your opponent, you know exactly what your gameplan will be:
1. Stifle Nought protection
2. Stifle Wasteland mana denial plan
3. Noble Hierarch powering out a turn three Natural Order / Jace TMS
So you just give up one plan and go for another plan.

Punishing Fire, hm, haven't thought about that. Well, at least you can fetch that Dryad Arbor to get another green dude in case you don't have one to cast NO. But I have to think about this a bit more.

(nameless one)
01-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Isn't the Eldrazi-post deck U/G? I still think that deck can be competitive enough.

Ziveeman
01-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Edric, Spymaster of Trest would be an interesting card to have in the deck, especially if you're gonna be running creatures like Spellstutter, Clique or Trygon Predator.

Purgatory
01-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Can't believe nobody has mentioned UG Infect.dec.

It basically builds itself, Blighted Agent, Brainstorm, Invigorate, Might of Old Krosa, Berserk, Inkmoth, other lands.

EDIT: Nevermind, I missed whienots post. It's too late/early for brewing anyway, UG(h).

Scordata
01-29-2012, 12:56 AM
You could play Intuition Elves. Intuition + Vengevines + handful of Elves = Awesomesauce

wolfstorm
01-29-2012, 02:24 AM
There's also U/G Turbo land, which can sometimes work.. + Playing Walk the Aeon's is classy.

Kich867
01-29-2012, 04:14 AM
You could play Intuition Elves. Intuition + Vengevines + handful of Elves = Awesomesauce

If I were to play a vengevine plan, it would be a madness oriented list. This is something I've been thinking about recently as well. I had a long discussion with my roommate about what makes Madness, Madness, and I came upon a few conclusions.

One of the key, defining features of recent VV Madness plans was a stifle/wasteland/daze tempo strategy. This, along with the fact that you are forced to play generally accepted "bad" creatures (Basking Rootwalla, Wild Mongrel, Aquamoeba, etc) are what lead to that deck archetype falling apart. I would contest the idea that Basking Rootwalla and Wild Mongrel are bad creatures, not the most efficient for certain, but I believe quite thoroughly that those creatures, given their interactions, are actually quite good so long as you play them in tandem.

I picked up an old, original madness deck from when the mechanic was standard that we had laying around and a lot of ideas came to me while playing it (quite successfully against a deck that I would consider to be a tier 1.5-2 sleeper).

For one, a Stifle Wasteland Daze tempo package hurts the deck, objectively. Madness needs to hit it's land drops, dazing and wastelanding things just hurts your speed, a lot. Everything is dandy if you have the god-mode turn 1 careful study into turn 2 Mongrel + discard 2 rootwalla's into double vengevine recursion and you win on turn 3. But that's quite rare, and when that doesn't happen, you lose control and you lose too many cards to take a lead.

U/G Madness' actual strength comes from several points: playing more creatures than you do, having more creatures on the board than you do, hey all my creatures have flying what's up, and cheap efficient counters.

The biggest inspiration from this very old deck was Standstill--Standstill is nuts in Madness. Turn 2 your outlet, turn 3 discard X rootwallas and drop standstill with counter-backup. Regardless if vengevines come out or not, your board position has to be answered and you will draw 3 from it. Waterfront Bouncer + Standstill, stone. cold. nuts.

So here is my rendition of a modern day U/G Madness deck:

//Creatures: 20
4x Vengevine
4x Basking Rootwalla
4x Wild Mongrel
2x Aquamoeba
3x Waterfront Bouncer
3x Wonder

//Spells: 18
4x Brainstorm
4x Careful Study
4x Force of Will
2x Circular Logic
3x Spell Pierce
1x Roar of the Wurm

//Enchantments: 4
4x Standstill

//Lands: 18
4x Tropical Island
4x Misty Rainforest
2x Flooded Strand
2x Verdant Catacombs
3x Island
3x Forest

With 15 discard outlets, you have many setups towards your goal. Push yourself into a favorable board position early, drop the standstill to weather the card disadvantage and keep you fueled. Waterfront Bouncer combat tricks to get through / trigger vengevines.


There's also U/G Turbo land, which can sometimes work.. + Playing Walk the Aeon's is classy.

Could you elaborate on that? A decklist would be wonderful as that sounds pretty exciting.

I've had ideas for a U/G ramp deck but none of them seem fruitful.

cherub_daemon
01-30-2012, 12:27 AM
The discussion about Thrun, the Last Troll got me thinking--one characteristic that is shared by green and blue creatures is Hexproof/Shroud. What about building a deck around gaining card advantage from making most removal dead? I've got a first shot at it below:

UG "Honey Badger"
Creatures: 12
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Troll Ascetic
4 Blurred Mongoose
4 Nimble Mongoose

Bounce: 8
4 Chain of Vapor
4 Echoing Truth

Counter: 12
4 Force of Will
2 Counterspell
2 Spell Pierce
4 Spell Snare

Utility: 4
4 Brainstorm

2 OPEN

Land: 22
4 Tropical Island
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Polluted Delta
2 Windswept Heath
5 Island
5 Forest

Most of the cards are pretty straightforward, but here are some more thoughts:

The goal of this plan is to gain some virtual card advantage by not needing to spend cards defending your threats. Non-land, targetable permanents probably don't fit in, but I could see maybe running Noble Hierarch for acceleration.

I think you could justify running a 2/2 split of Krosan Grip/ Echoing Truth maindeck, since you have no other removal, and there are certain artifacts which are worth planning for (i.e. Vial, SFM shenanigans).

The Counterspell/Spell Pierce split is to reflect the fact that
a) You are probably interested in countering creatures, since you have no other way of dealing with them other than "Block with Thrun" and
b) You are going to be playing a long game.

Chain of Vapor has nothing to target on your side, which is hilarious.

There are blue creatures with Shroud/Hexproof, but they are mostly bad. Slippery Bogle and Invisible Stalker are probably the best ones.

Not really sure what direction to go with the open slots. I'm leaning toward Jace, the Mind Sculptor, since bounce and card advantage are both appreciated in the deck. He CAN be burned or bounced, but he'll dodge most other removal.

My other thoughts for the open slots are Stifle or just adding a little more of something that's already in the deck. Stifle seems attractive, because it can come down when we're trying to stabilize, but another counter might just be better.

Kich867
01-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Hey all, thanks for the input on everything. At the moment I've tested heavily the U/G Madness lists I posted which felt not so great, the Landstill list performed quite well but was very slow and tedious, not very like me to play that. I'm not terribly interested in combo decks and the stiflenaught/noprog list despite recognizing that it's a powerful deck.

It needs more testing, but the deck I've been happiest with so far is this:

"Megaman X":
//Creatures:
3x Noble Hierarch
1x Birds of Paradise
2x Vendilion Clique
2x Trygon Predator
2x Scavenging Ooze
1x Scryb Ranger
3x Spellstutter Sprite
1x Phantasmal Image
1x Edric, Spymaster of Trest
2x Snapcaster Mage
1x Thrun, the Last Troll

//Spells:
3x Echoing Truth
2x Vapor Snag
3x Force of Will
3x Spell Snare
4x Brainstorm
4x Green Sun's Zenith

//Lands:
4x Tropical Island
4x Misty Rainforest
2x Scalding Tarn
1x Verdant Catacombs
4x Wasteland
3x Forest
3x Island
1x Dryad Arbor

//Sideboard:
3x Tormod's Crypt
1x Phantasmal Image
1x Progenitus
4x Natural Order
1x Force of Will
3x Krosan Grip
2x Surgical Extraction


I'm not sure about the No-prog side plan, but it doesn't seem terrible. So far, this list is insanely fun. Edric produces absurd card advantage off a GSZ for 3 > swing. I've really been enjoying this. I initially played Dismember's, the damage is a concern so I'm going to try bounce instead.

optml
01-31-2012, 04:29 AM
The discussion about Thrun, the Last Troll got me thinking--one characteristic that is shared by green and blue creatures is Hexproof/Shroud. What about building a deck around gaining card advantage from making most removal dead? I've got a first shot at it below:

UG "Honey Badger"
Creatures: 12
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Troll Ascetic
4 Blurred Mongoose
4 Nimble Mongoose

Bounce: 8
4 Chain of Vapor
4 Echoing Truth

Counter: 12
4 Force of Will
2 Counterspell
2 Spell Pierce
4 Spell Snare

Utility: 4
4 Brainstorm

2 OPEN

Land: 22
4 Tropical Island
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Polluted Delta
2 Windswept Heath
5 Island
5 Forest

Most of the cards are pretty straightforward, but here are some more thoughts:

The goal of this plan is to gain some virtual card advantage by not needing to spend cards defending your threats. Non-land, targetable permanents probably don't fit in, but I could see maybe running Noble Hierarch for acceleration.

I think you could justify running a 2/2 split of Krosan Grip/ Echoing Truth maindeck, since you have no other removal, and there are certain artifacts which are worth planning for (i.e. Vial, SFM shenanigans).

The Counterspell/Spell Pierce split is to reflect the fact that
a) You are probably interested in countering creatures, since you have no other way of dealing with them other than "Block with Thrun" and
b) You are going to be playing a long game.

Chain of Vapor has nothing to target on your side, which is hilarious.

There are blue creatures with Shroud/Hexproof, but they are mostly bad. Slippery Bogle and Invisible Stalker are probably the best ones.

Not really sure what direction to go with the open slots. I'm leaning toward Jace, the Mind Sculptor, since bounce and card advantage are both appreciated in the deck. He CAN be burned or bounced, but he'll dodge most other removal.

My other thoughts for the open slots are Stifle or just adding a little more of something that's already in the deck. Stifle seems attractive, because it can come down when we're trying to stabilize, but another counter might just be better.

I like the 'Virtual CA' idea; I actually brewed a similar version myself, but I ommitted thrun's (for 4 mana you can have a Jace!) and instead went for neurok commando. If you can keep their board clear, he can dominate. (think Dark confidant without the life-loss.)

Good deck though, and I'm interested to see it develop!

Seems Good
02-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Two things. One, someone mentioned Edric, Spymaster of Trest earlier and I think he absolutely warrants testing in 2-3 spots in a U/G aggro variant build. I think he could be nuts.

Second, regarding the hexproof/shroud build, I had a similar idea recently for a U/W/G build, but exclusively hexproof (no shroud) creatures, along with SFM, and a ton of swords. This idea is off topic of this thread, but maybe someone should start a hexproof aggro thread to continue this discussion?

Skeggi
02-01-2012, 12:27 PM
I have not read the thread, so sorry if I'm saying something that might have already been mentioned.

A strict Blue/Green deck screams for Show and Tell/Eureka abuse if you ask me. Perhaps with some Natural Order thrown in. Just start with 4 Noble Hierarch, 4 Green Sun's Zenith and a Dryad Arbor and see where you end up.

My $0.02

Darkenslight
02-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Here's a nice creaturebase for a Hexproof list:

Slippery Bogle
Invisible Stalker
Silhana Ledgewalker
Sacred Wolf
Troll Ascetic
Aven Fleetwing

Of the above, the Stalker, Fleetwing and Ledgewalker have built-in evasion, and the Ascetic has regeneration.

So, with that in mind, here's a rough list:

3 Forest
3 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Wooded Foothills
4 Tropical Island
4 Wasteland

4 Slippery Bogle
4 Invisible Stalker
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
4 Aven Fleetwing

4 Sylvok Lifestaff
4 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Manriki-Gusari

4 Stifle
4 Force of Will
4 Unstable Mutation

with 2 meta slots left over. I was considering Avoid Fate as a narrow counterspell for targetting permanents.

cherub_daemon
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
@Darkenslight --

If you're running a Hexproof+Evasion engine, I think you might be better off playing UG Infect than trying to get to 20.

Slag
02-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Or, you could throw all inhibitions to the wind and run Sigil of Sleep for board control.

rancOr_
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I can highly vouch for this list. I'm pretty sure this is the most powerfully option for U/G while being a really good deck.Hope u like it!


4 Force of Will
3 Daze
1 Beast Within
4 Brainstorm
4 Preordain
1 Ponder
1 Sensei’s Divining Top
4 Natural Order
4 Show and Tell
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Progenitus
4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Lands (20)
3 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
4 Misty Rainforst
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswepth Heath
1 Flooded Strand
4 Tropical Island
3 Ancient Tomb
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Forest
1 Island

Skeggi
02-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Here's a nice creaturebase for a Hexproof list:

So, with that in mind, here's a rough list:

Lands:
3 Island
1 Forest
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
1 Scalding Tarn
4 Tropical Island
4 Wasteland
4 Mishra's Factory
1 Dryad Arbor
--+
24

Creatures:
3 Slippery Bogle
4 Invisible Stalker
2 Silhana Ledgewalker
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
3 Green Sun's Zenith
--+
13 + 24 = 37

NOPRO:
3 Natural Order
1 Progenitus
--+
3 + 37 = 40

Equips:
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Umezawa's Jitte
--+
4 + 40 = 44

Broken Planeswalkers:
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
--+
3 + 45 = 48

Blue insta:
4 Force of Will
4 Brainstorm
2 Spell Snare
2 Spell Pierce
--+
12 + 48 = 60



I think this is alot more viable. Still looks meh. Doubting the NOPRO too. The lack of removal is a toughie, you'll rely more on counters and perhaps even want to run Beast Within. Omg, did I just say that?

jhhdk
02-02-2012, 04:46 AM
Hexproof goes well with auras which are sometimes quite overpowered. How about UG Enchantress list in which Hexproof critters beats face? Something like this:

Creatures
4 Argothian Enchantress
4 Gladecover Scout
4 Invisible Stalker
4 Slippery Bogle

Enchantments
2 Ancestral Mask
4 Elephant Grass
4 Enchantress's
4 Exploration
3 Mirri's Guile
4 Utopia Sprawl
1 Words of Wind

Lands
4 Flooded Strand
4 Forest
2 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Tropical Island
4 Windswept Heath


List is vulnerable to Ancestral Mask getting extirpated, but could still grind out a win with Words of Wind

Skeggi
02-02-2012, 06:02 AM
That looks like a fun list, although running Enchantress without Replenish seems suboptimal.

Darkenslight
02-02-2012, 06:09 AM
I think this is alot more viable. Still looks meh. Doubting the NOPRO too. The lack of removal is a toughie, you'll rely more on counters and perhaps even want to run Beast Within. Omg, did I just say that?

I'd definitelyconsider removing the NOPRO engine and GSZ/Thrun, but that did give me an idea:

That's 8 slots left so:

+4 Rancor
+4 SoLaS/Mirri's Guile

For an added recursive engine - you're fairly creature-light for an aggro deck, and you want to max out on your evasive beaters(Stalker and Ledgewalker) to maximize your damage potential. You care little for targetted removal.

Skeggi
02-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Actually, that would also free up the Dryad Arbor, running 23 lands should be enough if you cut NOPRO and Thrun for cheaper sollutions.

BlueNevus
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Might want to look at all the creature-stealing cards that blue offers: Gilded Drake, Sower of Temptation, Threads of Disloyalty, Vedalken Shackles, etc.