PDA

View Full Version : Mentor of the Meek + Norin the Wary

(nameless one)
04-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Would Mentor of the Meek paired with Norin the Wary be a viable draw engine in this format?

Granted, the format will be filled with creature hate but a creature deck in this format doesn't have to compete against a lot of non-interactive broken strategies.

Would it be good to build around a control deck with these creatures or Mentor of the Meek will simply be a target?

Legit?

Phoenix Ignition
04-07-2012, 10:45 PM
No, those cards are terrible on their own, force you to play Red + White, and at best give you a draw engine for :1:+your spell's cost that isn't very reliable. The combo is easy to kill with literally any used kill spell in the format, and if you have 8 slots for card draw you might as well play better cards (especially in a control deck).

Decks like splinter twin play 2 card combos that win the game. This is a 2 card combo that slows you down quite a bit and doesn't even give you a net bonus until you make it work 3 times.

DukeDemonKn1ght
04-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Norin's ability make it very cumbersome to even put an aura on him in the first place?

(nameless one)
04-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Norin's ability make it very cumbersome to even put an aura on him in the first place?

Why would you do that?

DukeDemonKn1ght
04-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Why would you do that?

Wasn't putting Mentor of the Meek on Norin essentially the point of your combo? I was just pointing out that how that would look is "cast Mentor -> Norin RFG's himself until end of turn in response -> you can't stick Mentor on him"...

Bignasty197
04-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Wasn't putting Mentor of the Meek on Norin essentially the point of your combo? I was just pointing out that how that would look is "cast Mentor -> Norin RFG's himself until end of turn in response -> you can't stick Mentor on him"...

Check the cards in the opening post. Mentor is a creature.

android
04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Wouldn't Shrieking Drake be a million times better?

Bignasty197
04-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Wouldn't Shrieking Drake be a million times better?

That set isn't legal in Modern.

DukeDemonKn1ght
05-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Check the cards in the opening post. Mentor is a creature.

Well that's a little embarrassing :smile:

Flaat
05-18-2012, 05:31 AM
I don't think Norin the Wary is good enough by itself to make a deck around this combo, however Mentor of the Meek is a very good card that can be abused in another ways. I was thinking something like this

4 Zombie Infestation
4 Mentor of the Meek
4 Gravecrawler
4 Bloodghast
4 Lingering Souls
4 Faithless Looting
Some discard and creature kill next to it and maybe a bigger beater or Wog

Going T1 Gravecrawler T2 Zombie Infestation T3 Mentor T4 Discard Bloodghast+gravecrawler pay 1 draw, play land Blood into play pay 1 draw pay B For Gravecrawler pay 1 draw
3 cards for 4 mana and 3 creatures into play!
Seems like a nice line of play for an aggro control deck to me

LamoLam
05-22-2012, 06:57 PM
how do you do?

Macrobbs
05-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Oh, that's Great Sir !!

No_Life_No_Future
08-16-2012, 05:28 AM
This is way too slow.

I play storm in modern and the game is usually decided by turn 4-5..