View Full Version : Your first deck :)
Humphrey
04-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Do you remember your first deck you played? I mean the first you completed the way you wanted it to be not the random junk you had to play with the first starter.
Just for fun Ive thrown it together again, back in the days where we only played multiplayer it was a blast ^^
I remember I always wanted Royal Assasin for it, but it was just to expensive.
It had some much nice combos like Minion of TS and Sorceress Queen or Breeding Pit, Autocrat with Hecatomb... ahh, good old times.
// Lands
20 [IA] Snow-Covered Swamp
1 [AL] Lake of the Dead
// Creatures
1 [IA] Minion of Leshrac
1 [IA] Minion of Tevesh Szat
2 [R] Sorceress Queen
1 [IA] Drift of the Dead
1 [TSB] Sengir Autocrat
2 [R] Bad Moon
4 [4E] Hypnotic Specter
2 [R] Will-o'-the-Wisp
1 [CH] Hell's Caretaker
3 [R] Sengir Vampire
1 [R] Demonic Hordes
1 [4E] Nightmare
1 [HL] Baron Sengir
// Spells
4 [MM] Dark Ritual
2 [FE] Breeding Pit
1 [6E] Hecatomb
3 [TE] Dark Banishing
4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (2)
1 [R] Sol Ring
1 [R] Demonic Tutor
2 [IA] Icy Manipulator
Wereodile
04-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Wow, The first deck I had "tuned" was during the Time Spiral/Lorwyn Standard time period. It was a U/W deck that used Momentary Blink and Whitemane Lion to abuse Evoke creatures like Mulldrifter.
I am sorry I don't have a deck list but I assure you it was nothing overly exciting.
My first real deck was mono blue "Stiflenought" right after the re-errata of the CiP trigger.
Forces in NM for 15€, all Duals in NM for 15-25€, etc ... good times.
GnuHouse
04-19-2012, 09:55 AM
My first one was a BU Discard deck; Hymns, Mind Twist (prior to banning), Hypnotics Spectres, The Rack, etc, and a countermagic suite of Counterspell and probably Power Sink.
The first one I took to a tournament was a BR Land Destruction deck; Stone Rain, Pillage, Icequake, Conquer, with Sengir Vampires and Black Vise (prior to banning/restriction) as the kill conditions
boneclub24
04-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Kamigawa Snake deck. Got extra copies of it and added in a bunch of junk rares I picked up cheap. Was super slow, be VERY fun.
Einherjer
04-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Mine was 250 card Merfolk-Deck...excuse me but I do not know all the cards know...All I do now is it had 1 Reejery in it...
Greetings
god_campbell
04-19-2012, 10:15 AM
I remember my early days, bought a mono black "mercenaries deck" right before rotation, then I tried my hand at mono green saprolings, till i discovered the power of Psychatog and UG madness..... ahhh the good old days :)
(nameless one)
04-19-2012, 10:16 AM
My first deck was a Elf deck (Mostly Onslaught Elves) that ran Skullclamp back when Mirrodin first came out. My buddy made it for me. I remember seeing Skullclamp for the first time and asking "why do you want your dudes to die?". Then when he showed me how it worked, it was bonkers.
That eventually led to X-land Elves Stompy since Skullclamp isn't legal in Legacy. That was my very first Legacy deck.
Mine was 250 card Merfolk-Deck...excuse me but I do not know all the cards know...All I do now is it had 1 Reejery in it...
Greetings
That takes me back but yes I do remember. It was a simpler time back in the pre classical era of the DCI I like to think of the wild wild west of magic. I was a latch key kid with descent grades an interest in e sports (which we called quake) and to much time on my hands. This "great new set" called fallen empires had just come out and I was excited about hymn of tourach.
The 40 card deck consisted of
hypnotic specterx4
hymn of tourachx4
the rack x4
dark ritual x4
basal thrullx2
abyssal specterx2
willow wispx2
demonic tutor
necropotence
library of leng
terrorx2
mind twist
Swampx12
Mono Black with 4x Laquatus Champion, 4xSengir Vampire, 8 Rituals, 2x Avatar of Woe, 4x Blood Pet and a shitload of removal.
This was the (kitchentable)nuts back in 2002 :tongue:
My buddy made an elf deck with Earthcraft and Squirrel Nest to make inifinite squirrels. So I decided to make something that didn't care how many creatures he had. It was mono white and ran Glittering Lynx and Glittering Lion, Cho-Manno, Revolutionary, Cursed Totem (No one played artifact removal), and Pariah. I also added in Flickering Ward and Inviolability with Replenish in the deck. This locked him out of the game and the win con changed from various angels to Decree of Justice to Luminarch Ascension. Great Times.
I am the brainwasher
04-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Red. Green. Kavu's.
Awwww man, how awesome that time was:cry:.
Straight after that all sort of kitchen-table-variants of R/G-Beatz, Psychatog and UG(x)-Madness. I miss those times... .
emidln
04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
My "good deck"
1 City of Brass
1 Underground Sea
1 Tundra
1 Scrubland
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Vault
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Black Lotus
1 Land Tax
3 Island
3 Plains
3 Swamp
1 Snow-covered Island
1 Snow-covered Plains
1 Snow-covered Swamp
1 Dark Ritual
1 Bazaar of Baghdad
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Maze of Ith
1 Strip Mine
1 Karakas
1 Ivory Tower
1 Black Vise
1 The Rack
1 Zuran Orb
1 Mirror Universe
1 Serra Angel
1 Baron Sengir
1 Hypnotic Specter
1 Sengir Vampire
1 Mahamoti Djinn
1 Royal Assassin
1 Sorceress Queen
1 Demonic Hordes
1 Serendib Efreet
1 Helm of Obedience
1 Dakkon Blackblade
1 Hell's Caretaker
1 Breeding Pit
1 Lord of the Pit
1 Circle of Protection Black
1 Sentinel
1 The Abyss
1 Chromium
1 Clone
1 Vesuvan Doppleganger
1 Balance
1 Wrath of God
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Control Magic
1 Armageddon
1 Disenchant
1 Mana Drain
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Moat
1 Winter Orb
1 Icy Manipulator
1 Howling Mine
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Timetwister
1 Time Walk
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Braingeyeser
1 Mind Twist
I bought most of the cards as a 60 card deck from someone and quickly thought he was an idiot to be playing so few when there were tons of awesome cards left in UBW.
klaus
04-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Mono Black Aggro, during the 4th edition days, featuring:
Terror
Black Knight
Willow the Wisp
Jun'un Efreet
Sengir Vampire
:cool:
DragoFireheart
04-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Burn.
Specifically, some combination of burn spells and Grim Lavamancer. I remember winning quite a few local tournaments with it.
I am the brainwasher
04-19-2012, 10:47 AM
My first one was a BU Discard deck;
The first one I took to a tournament was a BR Land Destruction deck;
I bet you made a whole lot of friends back then...not!
:tongue:
Nihil Credo
04-19-2012, 10:49 AM
The first deck I made on my own was a five-colour, seventy-card atrocity supposedly meant for Tempest<->Fifth Dawn Extended, which I built after seeing Joiner Adept from the new set and deciding it was totally broken because you could play any cards! from any colour! Then I proceeded to include a bunch of good domain cards from Invasion block without realising that they would have benefitted more from something that actually turned on basic land types. Plus, of course, such all-stars as Coalition Victory, Cromat, Absorb, and Wall of Ice (yes, really).
The first actually competitive deck I made was a few months later, shortly after Affinity was banned out of Standard. I had seen a guy packing Damping Matrix in his sideboard, and noticed that the card was actually stupidly strong against pretty much the entire format: Vedalken Shackles, Æther Vial, Oblivion Stone, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Umezawa's Jitte, Crystal Shard, Sensei's Divining Top, Arc-Slogger, Troll Ascetic, Triskelion, Sword of Fire and Ice, Meloku, and a lot more. The downside was of course that I couldn't use any of those strategies myself, so I cobbled together a threat suite consisting mostly of rats (Chittering Rats was really good, Ravenous Rats less so) plus some acceleration (Chrome Mox, Talisman of Indulgence) into big vaguely suicidal threats (Horobi Death's Wail, Yukora the Prisoner, and the all-star Greater Harvester - that guy was game over when he connected), with some discard and removal to fill up the list. It actually worked surprisingly decently, and the best part was how frustrating it was to play against, doubly satisfying against MUC players.
The first list I still have that I'm sure was my own brew was this one (for Invasion<->Dissension Extended):
// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)
// Lands
3 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
4 [UNH] Swamp
3 [GP] Godless Shrine
2 [DIS] Blood Crypt
3 [TO] Cabal Coffers
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
3 [ON] Polluted Delta
2 [RAV] Watery Grave
// Spells
3 [JU] Burning Wish
3 [TO] Mutilate
2 [AP] Gerrard's Verdict
4 [PR] Duress
4 [PR] Fact or Fiction
4 [AP] Pernicious Deed
4 [PR] Vindicate
3 [SC] Decree of Justice
4 [MR] Consume Spirit
2 [FD] All Suns' Dawn
3 [TO] Chainer's Edict
// Sideboard
SB: 1 [TO] Mutilate
SB: 2 [AP] Gerrard's Verdict
SB: 3 [IN] Collective Restraint
SB: 1 [OD] Skeletal Scrying
SB: 3 [PS] Dromar's Charm
SB: 3 [TO] Morningtide
SB: 1 [BOK] Terashi's Grasp
SB: 1 [TO] Chainer's Edict
spartan117
04-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Kamigawa Snake deck. Got extra copies of it and added in a bunch of junk rares I picked up cheap. Was super slow, be VERY fun.
Same for me. Good times...
nedleeds
04-19-2012, 11:09 AM
4 Serra Angel
1 Icy Manipulator
1 Dingus Egg
4 Black Vise
4 Sengir Vampire
4 Terror
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Dark Ritual
1 Sol Ring
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Black Lotus
2 Armageddon
4 Scrubland
10 Plains
10 Swamp
1 Diamond Valley
4 Demonic Tutor
4 Disenchant
3 Library of Alexandria
2 Royal Assassin
Roughly ... my have been a wrath in there. Or another Armageddon.
Pre Antiquities. Post first ban list. I thought this thing was the razors edge. Rolled down to Dragons Den and got my sphincter mauled by land destruction.
Philipp2293
04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Circa '99 Jackal Pup Sligh. Did spend quite some cash back then on Cursed Scrolls.
sauce
04-19-2012, 12:05 PM
my first legacy tournament quality deck was UGR canadian thresh.
this is the exact version i played:
http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/deck.php?id=3300&iddeck=14984
i later modified it to have fire/ice and eventually migrated to david caplan's version.
leegoo
04-19-2012, 12:16 PM
The first "good" deck I ever built.
1 Soldevi Digger
1 Zuran Orb
1 Icy Manipulator
1 Black Vise
1 Ivory Tower
1 Sol Ring
1 Forcefield
1 Jester's Mask
2 Browse
1 Moat
1 Land Tax
1 Balance
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Wrath of God
4 Counterspell
4 Force of Will
2 Arcane Denial
2 Control Magic
1 Disenchant
2 Kjeldoran Outpost
1 Strip Mine
1 Library of Alexandria
2 Maze of Ith
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Tundra
6 Plains
6 Island
With a sideboard consisting of
4 Circle of Protection: Red
4 Circle of Protection: Black
4 Circle of Protection: Green
2 Disenchant
1 Armageddon
The entire goal was to browse-digger into strip mine lock. Right after I traded my Moats for Balduvian Horde's... looking back, not the best trade I've ever made although at the time I was getting Value! RED JUZAM!!! OMG! You can cast that with Orcish Lumberjacks!!!!
First deck: Turbo Krakilin with Priest of Titania (circa '98)
First Legacy deck: Bauble Burn (circa '05)
First Storm Legacy deck: Nausea (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?2640-Deck-Nausea-Tendrils-for-the-win.) (circa '05)
First real Legacy deck: Solidarity (thanks $2 Resets) (circa '05)
First Legacy deck to actually make Top 8: RDW (circa '09)
First MTGO Legacy deck to make "money": Belcher >:D (circa '08)
Michael Keller
04-19-2012, 01:06 PM
My "Halloween" deck from 1994 will always be the dearest deck of mine that I have ever played. To this day, I'm still the guy with the jack o' lantern play-mat and orange and black dice as an homage to my first deck.
I still remember just about every card in it, but these are the two that remain iconic in my memory:
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/lg/2.jpg and http://magiccards.info/scans/en/dk/6.jpg
In 1994, my mother had purchased an All Hallow's Eve (English, of course) for me and to this day I still have it tucked away in my binder along with four other ones including a copy signed by Bruce Campbell. The deck worked surprisingly well back then (Eater could just be used anytime you pleased unconditionally), and when All Hallow's Eve went off it was generally game over.
Kich867
04-19-2012, 01:29 PM
My best friend's brother, who was older at the time, was pretty much my standard for what good deck building was (and is still an amazing deck builder to this day).
So, for like, the first 3 years of my playing, everything I made was awful, until I built my first boros deck:
//Creatures: 22
4x Boros Swiftblade
4x Boros Recruit
4x Skyknight Legionnaire
4x Savannah Lions
3x Thundersong Trumpeter
3x Goblin Legionnaire
//Spells: 20
4x Screaming Fury
4x Fists of the Anvil
4x Brute Force
4x Lightning Helix
4x Lightning Bolt
//Lands:
2x Sacred Foundry
8x Mountain
8x Plains
This was the first deck that I built that got recognition by him as a good deck haha. It curved out well and was viciously powerful, often times winning turn 3 or 4, which, at the time was pretty damn fast. EOT bolt / helix their blocker or remove it's ability to block, then swing and buff with whatever for the win.
I've also probably won more games than I can count off the back of skyknight legionnaire. A 3 mana 2/2 flying haste is surprisingly hard for a lot of decks to deal with haha. I suppose Chandra's Phoenix or whatever is strictly better these days but still.
rxavage
04-19-2012, 01:34 PM
My fist deck contained 4 Serra Angels, 4 Seraph, 4 crusades and a bunch of other wack shit. But I was 11 and didn't know anything, still don't. I traded duals for the serras and seraphs along with a demonic tutor :(
Mark Sun
04-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Started playing Legacy in '09, and built UWb Landstill... a couple of months before Zendikar was released. A bunch of Spell Pierces, Entomb + Iona, and later on Coralhelm Commanders, and it wasn't so much fun.
Tammit67
04-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Solidarity.
Why did I start with such a complex deck....
solidarity!
04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
My first good casual deck was actually sliver lol.
And my first legacy deck was solidarity! of course :cool:
JamieW89
04-19-2012, 02:40 PM
My very first deck was a BR deck with burn, discard, flametongue kavu's, nightscape familiars and terminates.
My first 1.5 deck was some mono black deck (cheap wastelands :3) and my first legacy tournament deck was Dreadstill. Dreadstill became Landstill and after that I turned to the dark side and I've been playing combo since.
First deck I ever built: UB mass of 70+ cards built from two booster packs of Urza's Saga and a starter deck from Mirage and Tempest in 1998. Shit was awesome, except it was playing against decks with Tolarian Academy.
First good deck I ever built? UBW Lands (actually had 37 lands) that got me a 2nd place finish in a 30 person local. Spring of 2002 shortly before Judgment was released. I was way ahead of the curve with that kind of deck, a whopping 4-5 years before Eternal Garden or 43 Lands came out. I actually still have the decklist saved too:
4 Exploration
2 Manabond
4 Standstill
2 Horn of Greed
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Wrath of God
2 Powder Keg
2 Zuran Orb
4 Treetop Village
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Faerie Conclave
4 Wasteland
3 Rishadan Port
2 Maze of Ith
4 Flood Plain
4 Tropical Island
4 Tundra
4 Savannah
Sideboard:
2 Teferi's Response
2 Morphling
2 Ivory Mask
4 Disenchant
3 Circle of Protection: Red
2 Tormod's Crypt
What a work of art. :)
DrHealex
04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
My memory is way too terrible to pinpoint that moment in time. I do recall playing in '98. The Wizard Keep in Muncie,IN would run weekly mox tournies (back in the day when they were like $100) which players ALWAYS took the store credit option. GAH, did we even HAVE formats back then?
I Vaguely Recall Playing:
* WW with shadows, armagedon, cataclysm.(most likely candidate)
* Hatred deck that had shadows, sacromancy, carnophage, dark ritual, and lake of the dead.
* Red sligh, jackal pups, cursed scroll, PoP, hammer of bogarden.
* Some RB oath of ghouls deck with avalanche riders, bone shredders, ghetto fireslingers (sounds like it might have been precon based) Prolly not the first since its largely urzas :D
* Some zoo deck involving savanah lions, serendib effrets, unstable mutation, metenda lions, swords, maybe scryb sprites and flying men... Soooo bant? :p (prolly not since it sounds dual heavy).
Phoenix Ignition
04-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Oh god how I miss blue/green madness days. Here's what I think my list was (I didn't have money, I was just a kid in school!).
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Aquamoeba
4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Arrogant Wurm
4 Roar of the Wurm
2 Quiet Speculation
2 Wonder
4 Standstill
4 Circular Logic
4 Careful Study
4 Daze
4 Yavimaya Coast
8 Forest
8 Island
warfordium
04-19-2012, 02:58 PM
i started playing Magic again (Legacy, naturally) in January 2011. here was my deck, approximately, when i previously played. for bonus marks, can you guess the year(s)?
//Maindeck (60)
4 Badlands
4 Plateau
2 Scrubland
2 Mountain
2 Plains
3 Swamp
2 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Balance
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Zuran Orb
1 Hammer of Bogardan
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Incinerate
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Order of the Ebon Hand
4 Wildfire Emissary
2 Emberwilde Djinn
2 Diabolic Edict
4 Icy Manipulator
2 Disenchant
2 Infernal Tribute
//Sideboard (15)
1 Suleiman's Legacy
4 Pyroblast
2 Diabolic Edict
2 Disenchant
1 Hammer of Bogardan
2 Dark Banishing
2 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Equipoise
Whippoorwill
04-19-2012, 03:00 PM
I can't remember my very first deck, but my first tournament deck was UW Stasis. It used Zephyr Falcon, Bay Falcon & Tempest Drake Those have always been some of my favourite creatures because of that deck.
Another around that time (Tempest Arena Season) was a Jund Poison deck using Marsh Viper, Fire Whip, Instill Energy and Vitality. One opponent thought he had me with his Peacekeeper until I poisoned him out.:cool:
Edit: First Precon was Tempest Deep Freeze.
Hollywood: You should post pics of the signed All Hallow's Eve. It would be pretty awesome to see.
lavafrogg
04-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Mono red with bloodshot cyclops, or chuck as the goblins called him, all I wanted to do what throw creatures at domes.
dahcmai
04-19-2012, 03:18 PM
I still have most of my lists from back then. I don't have a list of the first, but it went like this.
4 Mana Drain
4 Dark Ritual
4 Animate Dead
4 Mahamotti Djinn
4 Counterspell
4 Terror
2 Nightmare
4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Braingeyser
4 Candlelabra of Tawnos
4 Teferi's Isle
Random lands
I had my butt kicked by those cards for a long time and made a deck out of the ones that beat me most. This was what I made after my mono-B tabletop crap pile. The goal was to cast Mana Drain, then cast Mahamotti Djinn! If he died, you Animated Dead on him! OMG combo! There was an actual combo in it with the Candlelabra untapping the Teferi's Isle making infinite mana to Braingeyser people out. Took probably 5 or 6 tournaments before we got someone who knew the rules enough told me it didn't work. That and Candelabra was restricted. Stupid Mono artifacts and their lack of tap symbols. I was sad. Oh well, 17 years later my poor restricted Candelabras would be found in this same old deck stashed away since then and worth a tad bit more than the $12 I paid for them. : )
This was the first good deck I had. The original list from back then. Random cool card was something stupid I usually added to embarrass people. It typically was a Scryb Sprite or some other such junk. This one used to have a Channel in it also. I kept losing all the good cards.
4 Taiga
4 Tropical
4 Volcanic
4 Strip Mine
7 Solomoxen
4 Kird Ape
4 Elvish Archers
4 Llanowar elves
4 Berzerk
4 Giant Growth
4 Black Vise
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fireball
1 Ancestrall Recall
1 Time Walk
1 Timetwister
1 Wheel of Fortune
4 Chain Lightning
4 Blood lust
1 random cool card
And of course the one that really put me into competitive magic. Got me a nice Beta Sapphire out of this one. Poor Vampiric Tutor, sniff sniff. I miss you. This whole restricting thing killed most of my decks.
4 Animate Dead
4 Ashen Goul
4 Dark Ritual
1 Demonic Consultation
4 Krovikan Horror
4 Nether Shadow
4 Shallow Grave
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Deep Spawn
4 Nicol Bolas
2 Crimson Hellkite
4 Bazaar of Baghdad
4 Badlands
1 Diamond Valley
8 Swamp
4 Underground Sea
What a monster that deck was. Man, I loved that thing. I mean seriously, it has Animate Dead, that card was obviously amazing, just as good as it was in my first deck.
DrJones
04-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't keep the decklist of my first competitive deck, but it had the combo Pestilence + Nightmare, dark ritual, hymn to tourach, Hypnotic Specter, drain life, and a pair of disk of nevinyrral. It also had animate dead to reanimate whatever creature I discarded the opponent.
The deck included a single Ihsan's Shade because the dude was cool.
Djenin
04-19-2012, 03:46 PM
I started magic when Legends was released, back then i spent a lot of time with this deck:
// Lands
4 [B] Mountain (2)
6 [B] Forest (3)
4 [B] Taiga
4 [AQ] Strip Mine (3)
// Creatures
4 [B] Birds of Paradise
3 [B] Juggernaut
4 [AN] Erhnam Djinn
4 [AN] Kird Ape
4 [B] Elvish Archers
// Spells
1 [LG] Sylvan Library
1 [B] Sol Ring
1 [B] Mox Ruby
1 [B] Mox Emerald
1 [B] Black Lotus
1 [B] Regrowth
1 [B] Wheel of Fortune
4 [B] Lightning Bolt
4 [B] Black Vise
4 [B] Ice Storm
4 [B] Stone Rain
After i was done being a noob and playing with royal assassin.dec, i focused on my then favourite playstyle; land destruction combined with cheap creatures. This deck won me many a local tournament back then. After a while i started playing a B/G variant of about the same deck, which went something like this:
// Lands
4 [B] Forest (3)
6 [B] Swamp (1)
4 [B] Bayou
4 [AQ] Strip Mine (3)
// Creatures
3 [B] Juggernaut
4 [AN] Erg Raiders (2)
4 [AN] Erhnam Djinn
4 [AN] Juzam Djinn
// Spells
1 [B] Regrowth
3 [B] Terror
4 [LG] Nether Void
4 [B] Black Vise
4 [B] Sinkhole
1 [B] Mox Emerald
1 [B] Mox Jet
1 [B] Black Lotus
4 [B] Dark Ritual
4 [B] Ice Storm
I played many different decks, but these two were my first serious attempts at tournament play.
EDIT: There was most likely a sylvan library in there as well but i can't remember what i cut for it.
Schembo
04-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Mine was mono g stompy. Something like this
4 Pouncing Jaguar
4 Wild dogs
4 Albino troll
4 Cradle Guard
4 Hunting Moa
4 Yavimaya Elder
4 Might of Oaks
4 Rancor
4 Symbiosis
4 Giant Growth
2 gaeas's gradle
20 forest
First legacy deck was b/g animator, with Verdant Force and thorn elemental :P
socialite
04-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Gro before it was really Gro.
Tools N' Tubbies was really my first constructed competitive deck in a real format.
This thread is awesome!
UW Control (circa 1996)
Can't remember all the details, but something like this:
2x Moat
2-4x Mana Drain (can't recall exactly how many I had at the time)
2x Counterspell (auf Deutsch)
2x Force of Will
4x Swords to Plowshares
1x Ancestral Recall
1x Braingeyser
1x Recall
1x Jayemdae Tome
1x Balance (auf Deutsch)
1x Wrath of God
1x Feldon's Cane (for the mirror)
1x Zuran Orb
4x Disenchant (1x Beta)
4x Serra Angel (1x Alpha)
1x Strip Mine
1x Library of Alexandria
4x Tundra
Some Islands/Plains
It was never actually "completed" since I didn't acquire all the power until nearly 15 years later, but it was pretty decent in my area at the time. The scariest opponent opening then was Swamp, Jet, Ritual, Juzam or Ritual, Hyppie so I did fine. It later morphed into a 5 color control deck.
I also used to run a BG deck packing the awesome tech of Tracker/Sorceress Queen for creature control. I pulled a Bayou out of my first Revised starter deck, so I've maintained at least one BG deck ever since (currently it's Savra in EDH).
Technically speaking though, the first deck I really completed to my liking is Legacy Enchantress (though my favorite is obviously my (now) fully powered Vintage deck).
The entire goal was to browse-digger into strip mine lock. Right after I traded my Moats for Balduvian Horde's... looking back, not the best trade I've ever made although at the time I was getting Value! RED JUZAM!!! OMG! You can cast that with Orcish Lumberjacks!!!!
I was on the opposite side of a trade like that. I pulled two back to back Balduvian Hordes out of packs right after Alliances came out and traded them 10 minutes later for a signed Mana Drain (which I still have).
Tools N' Tubbies was really my first constructed competitive deck in a real format.
TnT was sooooo much fun! It was one of those decks that was awesome to play with and against.
wolfstorm
04-19-2012, 04:58 PM
My first true 60 was some zombie list.. that got absolutely crushed by dragon combo.. But.. Here's what I believe was my first real tuned legacy list that I won a few tournaments with.
RDW
Artifacts
4 Cursed Scroll
4 Tangle Wire
Creature
2 Blistering Firecat
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Jackal Pup
4 Mogg Fanatic
Instants
2 Fireblast
4 Lava Dart
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Magma Jet
Land
3 Bloodstained Mire
6 Mountain
4 Rishadan Port
4 Wasteland
3 Wooded Foothills
Sorcery
4 Chain Lightning
The sideboard had some number of sulfuric vortex red elemental blast / pyroblast and artifact destruction, and boy was it fun to play.
Zalren
04-19-2012, 05:09 PM
I first played right when Ice Age came out. My first deck was MUC with Force Spike and Counterspell and Deflection. My finisher was Leviathan or Polar Kraken :rolleyes:
Symbiotic Elf (http://deckbox.org/mtg/Symbiotic%20Elf), Symbiotic Wurm (http://deckbox.org/mtg/Symbiotic%20Wurm), Symbiotic Beast (http://deckbox.org/mtg/Symbiotic%20Beast)
Death Pit Offering (http://deckbox.org/mtg/Death%20Pit%20Offering)
Phyrexian Plaguelord (http://deckbox.org/mtg/Phyrexian%20Plaguelord)
Rampant Growth (http://deckbox.org/mtg/Rampant%20Growth)
Journey of Discovery (http://deckbox.org/mtg/Journey%20of%20Discovery)
Royal Assassin (http://deckbox.org/mtg/Royal%20Assassin)
That sort of thing.
Was a blast to play if it actually got going.
TheArchitect
04-19-2012, 05:15 PM
My first booster pack I open had an Orims chant in it (planeshift just came out) Obviously I traded this for a pile of Wurms cause Scaled Wurm was nuts. My first deck I ever made revolved around "comboing" endless wurm and rancor and the rest of the deck was just a "wurm deck". Looking back, I am pretty impressed I thought that up for literally my first deck ever.
My first deck that wasnt complete garbage, and I was actually played for a while however, was something like this. I still have a soft spot for wild mongrel and anything with madness:
4 Shivan Oasis
8 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Llanowar Elves
1 Grim lavamancer
4 Kird Ape
4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Wild Mongrel
2 Anger
2 Arrogant Wurm
4 Rancor
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Firebolt
4 Fiery Temper
3 Violent eruption
Survival, a decent landbase and the other 3 Lavamancers where too expensive for 10 year old me.
jam3sbob
04-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Can't remember the exact list, something like:
4 swords to plowshares
2 control magic
4 counterspell
4 force of will
2 powersink
2 spellblast
2 mahamoti djinn
4 serra angel
3 kjeldoran outpost
Maybe 1 or 2 disenchant, alabaster potion and some other random things. No wrath of gods, couldn't afford them at the time
I want to add this this topic is really fun to read and post to. Kudos Humphrey for opening it and for everyone to posted. Keep the good, the bad, and the ugly decklists coming.
Counter-Phoenix Circa'98
4 Force Spike
4 Mana Leak
4 Counterspell
4 Forbid
3 Intuition
2 Whispers of the Muse
1 Scroll Rack
1 Fireball
1 Searing Touch
3 Nevinyrral's Disk
2 Capsize
4 Shard Phoenix
3 Stalking Stones
2 Reflecting Pool
1 Caldera Lake
12 Island
9 Mountain
Even trading Disks were a big deal but this deck was such fun to play. Everything you'd need from a control deck back then :) I'm still looking to get the same taste from a modern deck (not the Modern, just modern).
In fact my girlfriend got me this birthday cake last year after I got back to Magic.
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9070/img4650o.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/img4650o.jpg/)
Aggro_zombies
04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
The first deck I remember building was some sort of mashup of cards from Portal and what I could get from friends. I think Tempest was the most recent set at the time. I don't remember much about the deck, but I do remember being amazed by how powerful Whiptail Wurm seemed.
My first Legacy deck was a netdecked Spring Tide build. The first one I built myself was some sort of WUr Fish-ish deck I built around the time Time Spiral came out because I wanted to take advantage of Serra Avenger.
LinkXwing
04-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Hmm, let's see. I remember trading some sugar cookies for my first cards in junior high. A FUCKING SEA SERPENT(!!!!!OMG!!!!) and the 6 Islands to cast it. That thing was massive!!! a 5/5!!!
I built up a small but worthless collection buying revised, 4th edition and fallen empires starters, eventually making a blue and black random conglomeration of sengir vampire, royal assassin, phantasmal terrian and SEA SERPENT(!!!).
My collection was stolen one day at school and I didn't return to Magic until high school junior/senior year. 7th had just come out and Invasion was also about to join the fray. I learned I really, REALLY loved killing creatures and while rummaging through a local stores red commons, uncommons and random crap rares I found a frakkin' amazing combo:
Aether Flash + Death Pits of Rath
Assuming I could get this high CC combo off quickly, I'd dominate all the school multiplayer games we played. I ended up with something close to this:
4 Aether Flash
4 Death Pits of Rath
4 Mana Flare
4 Dark Ritual
4 Terminate
4 Fireball
4 Pyroclasm
2 Pestilence
2 Drain Life
1 Demonic Tutor
2 Rolling Thunder
3 Crypt Rats
4 Badlands
4 Sulfurous Springs
7 Mountain
7 Swamp
I usually got targeted and killed first in multiplayer games because nobody in the games liked having ALL the creatures in play die horrible deaths except me.
I then built a Coalition Victory deck with Harrow, Birds of Paradise, Lay of the Land, Rampant growth, Sliver Queen, Cromat, and Atogatog. No duals, all basics. Then after winning many multiplayer games and losing many tournaments, I found a group of extremely competitive players playing Psychatog, MBC and U/G Madness. I copied the world champion's 'tog deck, starting actually winning some tournaments and never looked back. I really enjoy tournament Magic because of that era of my life.
caiomarcos
04-19-2012, 07:05 PM
That takes me back but yes I do remember. It was a simpler time back in the pre classical era of the DCI I like to think of the wild wild west of magic. I was a latch key kid with descent grades an interest in e sports (which we called quake) and to much time on my hands. This "great new set" called fallen empires had just come out and I was excited about hymn of tourach.
The 40 card deck consisted of
hypnotic specterx4
hymn of tourachx4
the rack x4
dark ritual x4
basal thrullx2
abyssal specterx2
willow wispx2
demonic tutor
necropotence
library of leng
terrorx2
mind twist
Swampx12
Do you remember your first deck you played? I mean the first you completed the way you wanted it to be not the random junk you had to play with the first starter.
Just for fun Ive thrown it together again, back in the days where we only played multiplayer it was a blast ^^
I remember I always wanted Royal Assasin for it, but it was just to expensive.
It had some much nice combos like Minion of TS and Sorceress Queen or Breeding Pit, Autocrat with Hecatomb... ahh, good old times.
// Lands
20 [IA] Snow-Covered Swamp
1 [AL] Lake of the Dead
// Creatures
1 [IA] Minion of Leshrac
1 [IA] Minion of Tevesh Szat
2 [R] Sorceress Queen
1 [IA] Drift of the Dead
1 [TSB] Sengir Autocrat
2 [R] Bad Moon
4 [4E] Hypnotic Specter
2 [R] Will-o'-the-Wisp
1 [CH] Hell's Caretaker
3 [R] Sengir Vampire
1 [R] Demonic Hordes
1 [4E] Nightmare
1 [HL] Baron Sengir
// Spells
4 [MM] Dark Ritual
2 [FE] Breeding Pit
1 [6E] Hecatomb
3 [TE] Dark Banishing
4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (2)
1 [R] Sol Ring
1 [R] Demonic Tutor
2 [IA] Icy Manipulator
A mix between those, flowing in one direction one time then going the other way another time. Going from discard to controlish to Bad Moon and creatures. Sometimes with red (lightning bolt and whatnot). No Revised cards thou, like Sol Ring or Demonic Tutor. Second semester of 1996.
Amon Amarth
04-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Musta been around 2001. Right after Planeshift came out I made a BRG Darigaaz deck that was obviously awesome. It was just a bunch of aggro cards and some burn spells. Skizziks and Ghitu Fire all day long.
The Treefolk Master
04-19-2012, 09:30 PM
First Legacy Deck:
23 Island
2 Morhpling
1 Rainbow Efreet
4 Force of Will
4 Impulse
4 Propaganda
4 Back to Basics
4 Powder Keg
3 Vedalken Shackles
4 Counterspell
4 Spell Snare
3 Fact or Fiction
MirrorMask
04-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Here is mine :
Red Sligh :
Creatures
4xmogg fanatic
4xJackal pup
4xball lightning
2xmogg flunkies
4xironclaw orcs
Spells
4xlightning bolt
4xshock // didnt know chain lightning existed :P
4xincinerate
4xfireblast // I am still in love with this one as well as bolt and fanatic
Lands
4xghitu encampment
12xmountains
1xstrip mine // I had only one...and NO wastelands ( I guess they cost some cents back then)
Nice thread! Brought back memories... Very nice memories like my very first Type1 tournament( placed 5th or 6th i believe) with the above deck. I don't remember my sideboard but I do remember I didn't have any ankh of mishra or red elemental blast and got ass kicked by 2 mother *** blue mages (full control shit with morphlings and chills (one of them had also enlightened tutors [R.I.P] . This was actually a tuned version (!) of a deck my best friend had made (there was no internet shit back then- well there was as it was 2004 when the tournament took place but in my country was insanely expensive and we didn't have). I have been playing magic since my 12 (wow 14 years already!) and had the deck from back then. When I went to the tournament I was 18 :P . Yeah talking about slow development in the game... Oh and bprobably there were some cursed scrolls in the above list as well.
P.s : I too remember duals going for 25$ and forces for 12$ and I thought they were soooo expensive. Too bad I didn't buy a shitload of them when I could.
MirrorMask
04-19-2012, 09:38 PM
i started playing Magic again (Legacy, naturally) in January 2011. here was my deck, approximately, when i previously played. for bonus marks, can you guess the year(s)?
//Maindeck (60)
4 Badlands
4 Plateau
2 Scrubland
2 Mountain
2 Plains
3 Swamp
2 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Balance
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Zuran Orb
1 Hammer of Bogardan
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Incinerate
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Order of the Ebon Hand
4 Wildfire Emissary
2 Emberwilde Djinn
2 Diabolic Edict
4 Icy Manipulator
2 Disenchant
2 Infernal Tribute
//Sideboard (15)
1 Suleiman's Legacy
4 Pyroblast
2 Diabolic Edict
2 Disenchant
1 Hammer of Bogardan
2 Dark Banishing
2 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Equipoise
I would say around 1996-1998. Correct?
@Hollywood : Dude you are soooo old!!!! Really?? You played from the beginning? You lucky ****!!!!
@dahcmai : OMFG THIS WAS THE DECK I SAW IN A BOOK !!! MY VERY FIRST LOVE! REANIMATOR!! Since then I always wanted to make a Reanimator myself but never had the cards. Hint: I finally did and kick some guys' asses at A LOT of tours MEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!
warfordium
04-19-2012, 09:44 PM
I would say around 1996-1998. Correct?
swish. at age 16 i was like "girls, or buy Power/play blue?"
i went for girls. should have bought Power?
MirrorMask
04-19-2012, 09:56 PM
swish. at age 16 i was like "girls, or buy Power/play blue?"
i went for girls. should have bought Power?
Nah you did the right thing! I was really shy at this age so I went for Power (nahhhhh! always had empty pockets!)
Bignasty197
04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
First deck ever- mono green shenanigans with Force of Nature and Scaled Wurm with Fastbond.
First real deck was RB Reanimator during Onslaught/Odyssey standard with bombs consisting of: Visara the Dreadful, Arcanis the Omnipotent and Phantom Nishoba. That deck was so much fun that I decided to make Legacy Reanimator.
First Legacy deck- UB Reanimator w/ Mystical Tutor
RaNDoMxGeSTuReS
04-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Near first and precursor to the rest of my life, circa 2003.
5 Forest
6 Island
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Tree of Tales
3 Concentrate
4 Dream's Grip
4 Fertile Ground
4 Mind's Desire
4 Opt
4 Sleight of Hand
3 Tendrils of Agony
3 Thirst for Knowledge
4 Twiddle
4 Wild Growth
4 Words of Wisdom
:cry:
thefringthing
04-20-2012, 01:18 AM
The first deck I made and played with in tournaments (FNM) was a UW Level Up deck. Venerated Teachers, Time of Heroes, Transcendent Master, etc.
My first Legacy deck was Belcher. First the old two-land version, then something resembling the modern stock list.
Anarky87
04-20-2012, 01:33 AM
First deck that I made that I thought was the bee's knees and terrorized our terrible little playgroup for months with:
4 Brass Talon Chimera
4 Lead Belly Chimera
4 Tin Wing Chimera
4 Iron Heart Chimera
4 Winter Orb
4 Icy Manipulator
4 Propaganda
4 Lifeline
4 Thran Dynamo
4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
1 Tolarian Academy
7 Islands
I liked making one ultra ridiculous robot while my opponent couldn't cast things or attack into me. I believe my first 'competitive' deck that I put a lot of time and effort into was The Rock:
4 Bayous
1 Stronghold
4 Wasteland
2 Mire
2 Foothills
5 Forests
4 Swamps
4 Bird of Paradise
4 Wall of Blossoms
3 Sakura Tribe Elder
4 Troll Ascetic
3 Eternal Witness
2 Ravenous Baloth
3 Duress
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Pernicious Deed
3 Smother
2 Putrefy
2 Unearth
I won many a store credit with that.
Fl0do
04-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Thanks to a lucky Tarmogoyf purchase on eBay when Future Sight came out and some nice trades, I managed to play my first tournament with this nice deck (2007 I think):
2 Forest
1 Plains
4 Island
2 Nantuko Monastery
2 Windswept Heath
1 Temple Garden
1 Breeding Pool
1 Flooded Strand
2 City of Brass
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Werebear
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Mental Note
4 Brainstorm
2 Portent
3 Mana Leak
4 Serum Visions
4 Counterspell
4 Daze
Since then, Bant was my deck for years. Good times ...
Hoojo
04-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Wow, this takes me back circa 1996.
//Lands
8x Mountain
11x Forest
4x Strip Mine
//Creatures
4x Orcish Lumberjack
4x Erhnam Djinn
4x Tinder Wall
4x Llanowar Elves
//Spells
4x Inferno
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Incinerate
4x Fellwar Stone
2x Pentagram of the Ages
1x Sol Ring
1x Zuran Orb
1x Feldon's Cane
We played a lot of multiplayer, and this deck was fun.
thulnanth
04-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Hey all,
Fun thread, thanks for sharing. There's been similar threads to this before, but it's always fun to see peoples "firsts". As I've posted before, I've been playing since '93 and still have a few decklists from early '94 - here's one of my favorites...
Deck
Lands
20 Swamp
20 Island
10 Desert
1 Island of Wak-Wak
1 Oasis
Creatures
1 Nightmare
1 Demonic Hordes
2 Khabal Ghoul
3 Scavenging Ghoul
3 Wall of Bone
4 Nettling Imp
5 Sengir Vampire
5 Black knight
1 Clone
3 Air Elemental
3 Water Elemental
4 Phantom Monster
Spells
6 Dark Ritual
3 Demonic Tutor
8 Terror
1 Braingeyser
1 Timetwister
4 Counterspell
5 Powersink
7 Spellblast
7 Creature Bond
5 Twiddle
Artifacts
3 Icy Manipulator
2 Black Vice
2 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 The Rack
1 Pyramid
2 Sol Ring
2 Soul Net
2 Ivory Tower
Yep, 150 cards, with no card limits... gotta love the old days :)
Take it easy,
Jared
dahcmai
04-21-2012, 01:27 AM
I got to play for a little bit during the 4x Strip Mine, 4x Wasteland short lived era. That was horrible. lol I do miss my 4 Black Vises and 4 Balances though.
Bonus points for using Island of Wak Wak. Man, I loved that card. Screw you Serra. lol
Red-Green Fires of Yavimaya beatdown. Mana dudes, Kavus, Shivan Wurms, burn... DEck was awesome. Then I switched to U/G Madness for competitive play :smile:
lamentation
Man how I miss Invasion-Odyssey days, when it was about Braids, Tog, Mongrel, Spiritmonger and not undercosted blue hexproof creatures and stupid Titan shit.
/lamentation
My first deck was an blue white monstrosity with 1 counterspell, 4 power sink, 4 spell blast, 3 sea serpent , 1 phantasmal terrain, some of benalish hero, tundra wolf and trade caravan , some albaster potion and 1 sword to plowshare wich served as an emergency life gain spell .
Sorry I didn't kept a deck list.
I did get my first tundra month before i figured the use of sword !
Purgatory
04-21-2012, 07:34 PM
The first deck I remember constructing myself with the cards I had was a mono-blue "flying" deck, a bunch of flying creatures, counterspells, unsummons etc.
The most powerful tempo play it was capable of was turn one Island, go, turn two Boomerang his land-drop, turn three flying creature. This all relied on winning the die-roll.
It led to my younger brother building a nasty mono-green anti-flying deck with a bunch of spiders etc. Fun times.
The first really competitive deck that I had tournament success with was UGw Threshold in Vintage (back then called "Birdshit", this must've been 2005-2006). My first Legacy deck was MeatHooks.
264505
04-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Big black control deck full of removal and Drudge Skeletons to clog the ground with the Lord of the Pit and Breeding Pit combo to close out the game in short order.
Jander78
04-21-2012, 09:46 PM
My first "tournament" deck. This bad boy won me an Elder Dragon Legend (Arcades Sabboth), when they were worth like $30-$40 each.
4 Storm Seeker
4 Candelabra of Tawnos
4 Mana Flare
2 Fireball
3 Braingeyser
4 Mana Drain
3 Howling Mine
2 Sylvan Library
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Tropical Island
4 Volcanic Island
4 Tiaga
4 Tundra
2 Savannah
2 Plateau
2 Mountain
2 Island
1 Forest
1 Plains
betterthenandrew
04-21-2012, 10:16 PM
My first 2 decks were Solidarity and RG Goblins when Tin Street Hooligan was all the rage (right before Tarmogoyf was released). Unfortunately instead of picking up a set of Goyf I spent a semester studying abroad.
Solaran_X
04-21-2012, 11:56 PM
I don't remember my first deck...but I do remember reading Oscar Tan's articles back in the day, and just deciding to play Vintage out of the blue because I opened a Fire/Ice and it was used in Keeper.
Sloshthedark
04-22-2012, 01:10 PM
First tournament deck when I got back to magic after 10 years in late 2009 was weird UBG Non-Harpy Cloudstone Curio-Aluren combo deck feat. Rishadan Cutpurse and Stroke of Genius... resulting into 1-2 GB Deed tempo, 0-2 ANT, bye, 2-0 Counterbalance in my first tournament ever, deck had really sub-optimal manabase and really bad in general but ton fun to play
so I switched to Brown Stax homebrew I constructed few minutes before the start feat. splash blue I went 3-0, natural 0-0 draw with landstill and 0-3 then... I dropped blue after but spent most of the 2010 playing artifacts
3 Metalworker
3 Crucible of Worlds
4 Fabricate
4 Chalice of Void
4 Trinisphere
3 Ensnaring Bridge
3 Smokestack
3 Tangle wire
1 Karn, silver golem
1 Staff of Domination
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Wasteland
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Academy Ruins
4 Maze of Ith
3 Mishra's factory
4 Crystal Vein
2 God's Eye, gate to Reikai
1 Magosi, the Waterveil
4 Island
Taurelin
04-22-2012, 01:49 PM
My first casual-deck was a mono blue combo-deck including the deadly Jester's Cap + Reito Lantern + Tunnel Vision kill. :cool:
My first legacy-deck that I took to a tournament was a budget version of ScepterChant (including Foil and Back to Basics instead of FoW and a real manabase. The result was 2:5. In the second tourney, I had all the stuff like FoW, Tundra, Flooded Strand etc. The result was again 2:5 :tongue: .
After that I changed the deck.
Octopusman
04-22-2012, 08:49 PM
The first time I ever played MTG I put fire breathing on an iron root treefolk and thought that it was the coolest thing I had ever seen.
Kich867
04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Red-Green Fires of Yavimaya beatdown. Mana dudes, Kavus, Shivan Wurms, burn... DEck was awesome. Then I switched to U/G Madness for competitive play :smile:
lamentation
Man how I miss Invasion-Odyssey days, when it was about Braids, Tog, Mongrel, Spiritmonger and not undercosted blue hexproof creatures and stupid Titan shit.
/lamentation
I know that feel bro..
I wish, so god damn badly that that's what magic was still like.
from Cairo
04-23-2012, 12:15 AM
I first started playing local events around 1999 just after 6th Ed., Urza's Block, beginning of Mercadian Masques. I had the Green echo-guys stompy deck with Rancors and Treetops, etc. But it was sort of underpowered by the time I picked it up.
The first standard cycle I really played FNMs and things with was Masques/Nemesis/Prophecy, 7th, Invasion (Planeshift+Apoc.). I mostly played WG Rebels and GR Fires during that standard cycle.
Pre-Planeshift (read as: Pre-Flametongue Kavu) I remember running more or less the Zvi list from My Fires (http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=sb20001215a).
10 Forest
4 Mountain
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Rishadan Port
2 Dust Bowl
1 City of Brass
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Blastoderm
3 Two-Headed Dragon
2 Jade Leech
1 Kavu Chameleon
4 Fires of Yavimaya
4 Saproling Burst
4 Assault//Battery
1 Earthquake
4 Chimeric Idol
chags
04-23-2012, 01:33 AM
My first competitive legacy deck was a mono red sneak attack deck. While I can't remember the exact list it ran such gems as 4 gambles, 4 through the breach as back up to sneak attack, and a whole host of random fatties. Good times.
conboy31
04-23-2012, 02:25 AM
A rough approximation would be something like this around late 1995?
11 Island
11 Swamp
4 Dark ritual
4 Mind Twist
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Hypnotic Scepter
3 Sengir Vampire
1 Nightmare
4 Counterspell
2 Serendib Efreet
2 Mahotmoti Djinn
2 Control Magic
2 Braingeyser
2 Dark Banishing
2 Diabolic Vision
2 Nevinyarrl's Disk
1 Icy Manipulator
dernestor86
04-23-2012, 05:50 PM
my first nonrandom deck was a slighdeck. must have been somewhere around 1998 or 1999 during sagablock. it was noncompetitive. just to play with friends.
we got introduced with portal1 2player starter when it came out^^
lol we were 10-11 years old =]
NathanS2k
04-24-2012, 03:07 AM
One of the first deck I remember making was a mono blue combo deck back when i was in middle school during the Tempest block.....Mind Over Matter, Curiosity, and a Pinger.
4 Mind Over Matter
4 Curiosity
4 Suq'Ata Firewalker
4 Thornwind Faeiries
4 Prodigal Sorcerer
The rest of the deck was like 22 Islands with 4 of each counter spell card available at the time.....including ARCANE DENIAL. :laugh:
I just remember running 4 Tolarian Academy, the Tron, and ramping into stuff like Aladdin's Ring and Colossus of Sardia. So awesome!
Mirrodin Block constructed...
something mono black death cloudy with solemns.
which transformed into a T2 BG DeathCloud with kamigawa... good times...
Forest
Swamp
Shizo, Okina
4x Kokusho
4x Sakura Tribe Elder
4x Eternal Witness
4x Troll Ascetic
4x Kodama's Reach
4x Plow Under
4x Terror
3x Death Cloud
and the rest, i cannot remember ;)
evanmartyr
04-26-2012, 02:50 AM
Mono black control in Mercadian Masques + Invasion type 2. Played in JSS with it. The combination of Vampiric Tutor, Dark Ritual, Chimeric Idol, Plague Spitter, Chilling Apparition, Ports, Unmask, and crazy SB cards was so much fun. Kicked the balls off Blue Skies and had enough removal and hate for Rebels/Fires.
Mono-Black Control has been my go-to deck ever since in standard or block, but it's been hard to make it worthwhile for quite a while.
xeraseth
04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
WR Astrael Rift (self built, though that deck kind of built it self), feature the likes of Renewed Faith, and Slice and Dice (though that card was the nuts).
TheArchitect
04-26-2012, 08:16 PM
WR Astrael Rift (self built, though that deck kind of built it self), feature the likes of Renewed Faith, and Slice and Dice (though that card was the nuts).
Oh man, that was the first deck I "net decked", and by net decked, I mean saw the list Scrye Magazine. Scrye Magazine lol. I actually found the whole deck in junk box a few months ago and played it against my friends casual deck.
Darkenslight
04-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Mirrodin-Kamigawa SuiBlack:
18 Swamp
3 Vault of Whispers
4 Ebon Drake
4 Blind Creeper
4 Lightning Coils
4 Nim Abomination
2 Desecration Elemental
4 Dross Harvester
2 Scream from Within
1 Shriveling Rot
4 Night's Whisper
2 Plunge Into Darkness
2 Loxodon Warhammer
4 Devour in Shadow
TsumiBand
04-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Oh man, the first deck I ever 'built' and 'tuned' was I think some super random GW Ernie-Geddon deck. I heard about the concept and just found it hilarious, and then I built it my way and enjoyed it for quite some time. How did that sucker go...
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Ernham Djinn
4x Anurid Brushhopper
4x Elephant Guide
4x Talisman of Unity
4x Swords to Plowshares
4x Wild Growth
4x Eladamri's Call
4x Armageddon
.....and some other jank hahaha. I want to say I ran Blastoderm but I think that's wrong. This was back when Birds of Paradise was like $15 a pop so I could not dream of getting a playset. Now that I think about it, I want to play this deck again real bad. :D
edit - this deck would sort of be lulz with a playset of KotR and stuff wouldn't it. ha
majikal
04-29-2012, 03:16 AM
My first tuned deck was Type 1 Suicide Black. Pretty much everything else I played up until that point was some pile of green cards or some equally awful theme deck.
15 Swamp
4 Wasteland
4 Mishra's Factory
1 Strip Mine
1 Mox Jet
4 Dark Ritual
4 Sarcomancy
4 Carnophage
4 Flesh Reaver
4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Phyrexian Negator
2 Phyrexian War Beast
4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
1 Yawgmoth's Will
Used to have such a blast playing Type 1 at American Cards and Comics with this deck. :)
badjuju
04-29-2012, 10:01 AM
My first deck ever was a wizard deck, complete with Nameless Ones. It tore stuff up at the freshman highschool lunch table.
My real first real constructed deck was ONS/MIR standard Mono Black Control, which was eventually considered a terrible deck lol.
I don't remember the list, but it was concoction of the following cards:
Consume Spirit
Extraplanar Lens
Barter in Blood
Promise of Power (!)
Grid Monitor
Oblivion Stone
Mind Sludge
Stalking Stones
Terror
Smother
And then I moved on to play Affinity w/ a GB Moriok Rigger/Viridian Shaman/Oxidize SB. Those were some good times at FNM, despite how bad I was :)
mcfarland
04-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Circa May 1994... This was my original 85-card beast. All we played at that point was 5-8 player free-for-all's, and this was so much fun. In it's heyday, it was entirely beta except the Arabian Nights cards, and one Icy. I still have a giant weakness when I see a beta Icy, and value them much too highly (they were REALLY HARD to find in that neck of the woods.) Still have this decklist memorized.
4 Nightmare
3 Lord of the Pit
4 Hypnotic Specter
4 Black Knight
3 Khabal Ghoul
4 Sengir Vampire
2 Royal Assassin
2 Sorceress Queen
4 Unholy Strength
4 Terror
4 Dark Ritual
3 Oubliette
3 Drain Life
1 Contract From Below
1 Mox Pearl
2 Pestilence
4 Evil Presence
3 Icy Manipulator
28 Swamp
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.