PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Budget White weenie

John Cox
08-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Probably the most budget (and still good) deck in vintage is White Weenie, it has placed well in large European tournaments and can be made for almost as much as legacy dredge. This Viable budget deck uses the strong hate bears available to white, along with tempo and broad hate pieces to lock out opponents and slowly take over the board. If you like a Death and Taxes style strategy this deck is for you.

Here’s Massimiliano Guadagni’s list from D-Day V

http://www.deckcheck.de/deck.php?id=24945
4th place, 123 players

//Creature [25]
2 Aven Mindcensor
2 Grand Abolisher
1 Jotun Grunt
3 Kataki, War's Wage
4 Leonin Arbiter
4 Leonin Relic-Warder
3 Simian Spirit Guide
3 Student of Warfare
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
//Instant [3]
3 Swords to Plowshares
//Artifact [6]
3 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Lotus Petal
2 Porcelain Legionnaire
//Enchantment [4]
1 Oblivion Ring
3 Stony Silence
//Land [22]
4 Ghost Quarter
1 Karakas
12 Plains
1 Strip Mine
4 Wasteland

As you can see this strategy put Massimiliano into the top 4 with nothing more expensive than karakas . The deck gets even better in a proxy environment because you can add black lotus, making the deck much faster. Cards like mana crypt and sol ring aren’t what this deck wants as it abuses stony silence to lock out artifact mana (and time vault). If you’re getting into vintage from legacy or want to own your entire deck and play at gencon or other sanctioned events this is worth looking into.

nedleeds
08-29-2012, 10:02 AM
I think you want a minimum of 6 shots at generating W1 on turn one.

John Cox
08-29-2012, 11:52 AM
We could use full playsets simian spirit guide and elvish spirit guides as well.

nedleeds
08-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I'd almost ditch petal. Spirit guides don't build storm, work under Stony Silence don't get Thorned / Thalia'ed / Sphered / Spell Pierced etc.

I also don't get O-Ring. I mean you'll never resolve it against shops, I guess it helps vs. Jace.

Also, Thalia is the best hate bear in mono white. I understand running 4 can stink sometimes, but landing 1 on turn 1 on the play can be a beating. I can't not run 4. Also fuck Toilet Legionnaire, Kataki wins the game against shops. He just wins. Remember, you are wasting them, and Shop itself can't pay upkeep costs.

If I ran budget hate at a tourney like GC champs (25% shops, 25% dredge) I'd run

4 x Thalia
4 x Leonin Arbiter
4 x Leonin Relic Warder
4 x Kataki War's Wage
2 x Student of Warfare
2 x Aven Mindcensor
2 x Jotun Grunt (Dredge, Goyf, Recycle your wastes, Stop opposing Crucible)
2 x Mikeus the Lunarch
- 24 dudes

4 x Stony Silence
4 x Grafdiggers Cage
4 x Swords to Plowshares
- 12 spells

4 x Elvish Spirit Guide
2 x Simian Spirit Guide
- 6 acceleration

4 x Wasteland
1 x Strip Mine
2 x Karakas
8 x Plains
3 x Ghost Quarter
- 18 lands

I'd just gamble that I could get a white source in my opener (10/60). Maybe instead of SSG you run a petal out there. If you can't land a turn 1 hate bear I think the deck is pretty bad. The deck is pretty much going to win or lose on the basis of it's opening hand as you have no deck manipulation and no Bob.

But you should wreck shops, have nice game against Dredge and a shot vs. Oath as well. I'd say the Delver deck rolls this deck.

John Cox
08-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I like what you've done but, how about revoker? Its not reliant on white mana and hits pretty much every deck in the format to some extent (even if it just negates a mox). The good thing about this is that you can trade with opposing revokers and confidants and it will work out in your favour, while still doing something against dredge and landstill.

What about,

4 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Leonin Arbiter
4 Kataki, War's Wage
2 Aven Mindcensor
2 Jotun Grunt
4 Stony Silence
4 Grafdigger's Cage
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
2 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Karakas
12 Plains
4 Ghost Quarter

I upped the ghost quarters to 4 also as the inability to produce white mana becomes less bad with 4 artifacts replacing white cards.

Pltnmngl
09-08-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm totally building this deck. Is it too early to talk about Dryad Militant? It could lower the curve even more and push Grunts to the sideboard, but not sure. Just a thought.

John Cox
09-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Dryad militant is defiantly playable, I like that he can be cast off an ESG, letting you waste a land or keep up swords to plowshares on turn one in case they play a turn one lodestone.

manugl84
09-09-2012, 05:12 AM
I´d play militant over student of warfare all day. Student is nice, but mana intensive, and militant is annoying against will, snapcaster and so on...

John Cox
09-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah, Student of Warfare is definitely worth cutting, -it doesn't do anything and eats up mana. Dryad Militant is worth looking at in that spot. I also like it in the Leonin Relic-Warder slot since :w::w: is hard to get with the lands in this deck.

Pltnmngl
09-10-2012, 10:45 AM
On a side note, has anybody tried Gadock Teeg?

John Cox
09-10-2012, 02:10 PM
There's also GW budget deck called GW Beats that uses scavenging ooze, teeg, green sun's zenith and few other cards that aren't here.

nedleeds
09-18-2012, 06:44 PM
I played 3 Teeg @ Gencon at Vintage champsin W/g/b Hate. He is beast against everything but Delver and Oath (and the mirror obviously). There are certain shop decks he isn't super against, but he still poons Chalice, Stack and (gasp!) Serrated Arrows. I might even keep him in vs. U/r Delver decks with Gush.