PDA

View Full Version : SCG going for Modern Opens?

JDK
10-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Apparently SCG is moving into Modern territory, which makes totally sense, but I am wondering how they are going to make the split with Legacy.

http://legitmtg.com/culture/medinas-notebook-magic-finance/ - the part about the fetchies

Does anyone have more information about this?

dsck
10-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Or maybe they are just preparing for modern season. Stocking up on those fetches seems good plan anyway, I feel like people are jumping in to conclusions.

pryite199
10-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Or you could just go read Ben Bleissweiss Twitter where he flat out states that there are no plans to replace the Legacy Opens with Modern (at least as far as the current Open plans are set(through 2013)).

Leftconsin
10-28-2012, 12:59 AM
I keep hearing these unfounded unsourced rumors that Legacy will no longer be supported by SCG.

JDK
10-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Or you could just go read Ben Bleissweiss Twitter where he flat out states that there are no plans to replace the Legacy Opens with Modern (at least as far as the current Open plans are set(through 2013)).

I don't use twitter and I was asking for more information about the topic. So despite your innapropriate tone, thanks. Even though, your wording doesn't answer my question, because I didn't say anything about 'replacing'.

SCG has no intention of running Modern Opens. We feel Legacy is a better format, and plan on continuing it in 2013.
https://twitter.com/BenBleiweiss/status/261939546420305920

That's the relevant part.

cartoonist
10-28-2012, 08:52 AM
SCG will need some time to corner the market on Modern singles.

But seriously, SCG makes lots of profit on Legacy singles. They would make far less on Modern, so of course they'll fight against the rise of Modern. They want the most profitable format for themselves to be the dominant one, so unless Modern singles take a tremendous jump in price anytime soon, SCG will keep their primary focus on Legacy.

Dark Ritual
10-28-2012, 12:29 PM
No they aren't switching to modern opens. As has been stated several times they like legacy a lot more and with good reason. I don't want to know what an SCG Modern tourney would look like (this match we have yet another jund mirror match on camera folks let's see who draws better or maybe has some sweet tech for the mirror etc. etc.)

I just love how I traded my extra misty's and tarns back right after they rotated for 12 a pop or something...but 35 for zendikar fetches? Really? I know they're popular, but 35 dollars seems like a stretch for the best selling set of all time.

Rood
10-28-2012, 05:05 PM
holy...I'm rich. I have so many Scalding Tarns and Misty Rainforests it's not even funny.

Lord Seth
10-29-2012, 03:00 AM
I know they're popular, but 35 dollars seems like a stretch for the best selling set of all time.Where did they say Zendikar was the best selling set of all time? Because that seems to contradict what Mark Rosewater said here (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/108) (one year after Zendiakar came out), that Mirrodin was the best selling set of all time.

Dark Ritual
10-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Where did they say Zendikar was the best selling set of all time? Because that seems to contradict what Mark Rosewater said here (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/108) (one year after Zendiakar came out), that Mirrodin was the best selling set of all time.

Maybe mirrodin was the best seller and maybe it wasn't. I honestly don't have the wizards sales numbers and they aren't going to disclose that information. Either way, zendikar is probably the number 2 set if it isn't number 1. People opened a lot of packs just for the hidden treasures promotion. People also cracked a lot of packs to try to get fetchlands, as enemy fetches were something that players had been clamoring for for a long, long time. But I guess if the demand is high enough zendikar fetches can be 35 for blue ones. I don't see the blue fetches maintaining that pricepoint honestly, as the supply is there to meet demand and most people I know have zendikar fetches.

dunk
10-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Dont forget that people not only buy real cards, but also redeem cards from magic online. If I'm not mistaken redemption is still up for Zendikar Block, so everyone who needs playsets of any Zendikar cards better redeems as long as it's still possible ;)