PDA

View Full Version : MTG Software?



Forbiddian
01-15-2013, 02:58 AM
I've been out of the game for a few years. When I was last playing, Magic Workstation was the best, with Cockatrice gaining a lot of steam. However, it doesn't look like Cockatrice is getting supported, and MWS has not been updated in a long time.

Undomian
01-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Not sure why you would think that Cockatrice is no longer supported... It was last updated 4 days ago.

csy
01-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Mtgo is still active.

ween
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
MWS has not been updated in a long time.

The software itself doesn't really need updating.

Each new set a new database gets released and the HQ scans for the cards go up.

MWS has worked flawlessly for me for years, i'm using it right now at work :P

Well worth the small sum of money that was being asked for it.

Gedaco
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
I want MTGO for macintosh !!!
Anyone with me? .. :frown:

csy
01-15-2013, 05:06 PM
I only have macs, just reboot into windows. I have a 200mb installer of windows XP that I use JUST for playing modo.

The Treefolk Master
01-15-2013, 05:15 PM
I want MTGO for macintosh !!!
Anyone with me? .. :frown:

+1 to that, sadly Wizards has already stated that they have no intentions of developing MTGO for Mac/Linux (which sadly makes sense, given that >90% of computer users run Windows).

I got it to run on a virtual machine, but ended up deleting it due to lag issues and, more importantly, poor quality.

Your best bet right now is adding Windows to your Mac using Bootcamp, something I need to get myself to do one of these days.

phazonmutant
01-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Yes, sadly Wizards has never had very good software people. It would be so completely reasonable to write MODO completely in .NET or as a web app and that way have complete platform independence (it's not like you need high-performance native code for those sweet Magic graphics), but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Porting a codebase difficult, and I've heard that MODO's codebase is a nightmare.

If you're on a real OS Unix-based OS, check out Wine's MODO page (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10123) It sometimes allows you to run windows apps, but it looks like MODO didn't work a couple years ago. Still worth a shot. Wine improves constantly.

Koby
01-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Yes, sadly Wizards has never had very good software people. It would be so completely reasonable to write MODO completely in .NET or as a web app and that way have complete platform independence (it's not like you need high-performance native code for those sweet Magic graphics), but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Porting a codebase difficult, and I've heard that MODO's codebase is a nightmare.

If you're on a real OS Unix-based OS, check out Wine's MODO page (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10123) It sometimes allows you to run windows apps, but it looks like MODO didn't work a couple years ago. Still worth a shot. Wine improves constantly.

WINE won't let MTGO work because it attempts to launch other non-native codebases to function (.NET Framework). Best bet is to run it in a virtual machine.

lordofthepit
01-15-2013, 06:20 PM
No need to worry about the software and/or database with Cockatrice.

The idiot players you'll find in the rooms though... could use an upgrade. That's why I don't bother to test on Cockatrice anymore.

Forbiddian
01-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Not sure why you would think that Cockatrice is no longer supported... It was last updated 4 days ago.

Oh, cool! I thought it was not being updated because I checked the website, and it says Copyright 2009-2011.

The Treefolk Master
01-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Yes, sadly Wizards has never had very good software people. It would be so completely reasonable to write MODO completely in .NET or as a web app and that way have complete platform independence (it's not like you need high-performance native code for those sweet Magic graphics), but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Porting a codebase difficult, and I've heard that MODO's codebase is a nightmare.

If you're on a real OS Unix-based OS, check out Wine's MODO page (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10123) It sometimes allows you to run windows apps, but it looks like MODO didn't work a couple years ago. Still worth a shot. Wine improves constantly.

They had started to develop a web based app a few years ago, but then abandoned the project.

Gedaco
01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
I only have macs, just reboot into windows. I have a 200mb installer of windows XP that I use JUST for playing modo.

Sorry for my noob question but does the virtual windows XP on you mac only occupies 200mb?
Or is it only the installer?

The big issue is that I didn't want to filling space on my computer with 'garbage' applications and 'trash'...
Don't get me wrong but installing it just to play MTGO? meh .. Not worth it :confused: