PDA

View Full Version : My two friends quit the game



KobeBryan
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Should i retire and sell my cards?

I got into this game because my friends were playing. They don't even wanna join tournaments with me now. I hate to go there alone.

Is it time to hang it up?

sdematt
01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Should i retire and sell my cards?

I got into this game because my friends were playing. They don't even wanna join tournaments with me now. I hate to go there alone.

Is it time to hang it up?

No, stay in it anyway. Even if you don't want to play for a while, just put your cards away and you can pick them back up when you come back.

-Matt

nedleeds
01-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Did Obi Wan just give up because he lost his two buddies? No. He hid in the desert. Biding his time. Living among sand people. Until it was time to return and save the galaxy.

KobeBryan
01-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Did Obi Wan just give up because he lost his two buddies? No. He hid in the desert. Biding his time. Living among sand people. Until it was time to return and save the galaxy.

Doesn't help when you are aging in the mean time.

Megadeus
01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Did Obi Wan just give up because he lost his two buddies? No. He hid in the desert. Biding his time. Living among sand people. Until it was time to return and save the galaxy.

This.

xfxf
01-16-2013, 04:49 PM
First of all, it's not aging it's growing up. :rolleyes:

Second of all, even though you grow up this game has a tendency to stick with you. I bought my first starter deck when I was 12, didn't actually start playing or had an environment to play until I was 14 and then quit when I was 16 because back then chicks were more important than Magic. Over the years despite "getting old" I checked out the recent decklists, bought a few cards here and there every 2-3 years and held onto my FoWs, Wastelands and Intuitions. Come 26, I started having dispensable income, stopped having enough time to socialize/party/be cool so I returned to my nerdy roots to introduce some excitement to a boring adult life. For more than 2 years I've been playing Magic again and I'm glad that I have this hobby. Also my cards gained some incredible value.

Even if you skip the social lesson in this, just cling onto your cards as the cards you bought today with your parents' money may take you out to a summer holiday in the future when you are spending out of your own pocket.

Edit: Btw, I think this is my favorite post in the Source of all times:

Did Obi Wan just give up because he lost his two buddies? No. He hid in the desert. Biding his time. Living among sand people. Until it was time to return and save the galaxy.

Edit2: There will be worse times in your life when your friends stop enjoying computer games/zombie movies/anything sci-fi or fantasy, when they stop getting wasted, when they start having relationships, when they get married etc. etc. Enjoy your friends for the common things you still manage to have and find friends to share your other interests. Friends in life are like counterspells in modern Magic, specific for situations, if you still have a FoW from old days it's value! :)

WorstBandNameEver
01-16-2013, 04:51 PM
My best friend stopped playing and pretty much bailed out of my life for about 6 months now. It's a bummer for sure and there are times that magic is not as fun as it would be in comparison. But, the positive is that I developed more new acquaintances that I will hang out with when I go to events. These aren't going to be people whose weddings I attend or anything, but we sling cards for a few hours and talk between matches.

As for selling cards, don't do it unless it's an issue of keeping the cards vs. feeding yourself or losing your place.

mini1337s
01-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Whether you quit or not, all I know is that everyone I have ever talked to who has sold their collection once they "quit" has regretted it, even if they never play the game again. I would hold on to atleast a playset of any staple, and see how you feel in 3-4 years.

bruizar
01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Whether you quit or not, all I know is that everyone I have ever talked to who has sold their collection once they "quit" has regretted it, even if they never play the game again. I would hold on to atleast a playset of any staple, and see how you feel in 3-4 years.

QFT, everyone who did so here, including my cousin, has regretted it a lot.

Koby
01-16-2013, 05:42 PM
I've regretted selling my collection for college. Then I came back with more vigor after I finished and completed my collection. You don't ever quit Magic, just take a long hiatus.

bruizar
01-16-2013, 05:56 PM
thing is, when you stop magic, you usually are 'out of the pricemeta' so it will be hard to get a fair price for your cards. If you put your cards up for sale at a reasonable price, chances are that it will take a long time to sell singles, and when you do sell them, its because the card spiked in price and you weren't aware of it and still had them for the old price (i.e. you got a bad price for it).

If you decide to sell it to a big trader, they are going to pay you 60% of what it's worth if you are lucky. Checking out of magic is always a bad deal. You should sell cards while you are still actively playing the game to ensure you get a good deal. There is nothing more sour than selling off your childhood collection for a bad price.

Richard Cheese
01-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Instead of quitting because your current friends stopped playing, keep playing so you can make more friends. I quit for almost 10 years, and never regret coming back. I've made way more friends playing Legacy than I have doing anything else since college. Legacy players are generally a great crowd, and despite all the bitching that comes along with every new set, the format has stayed interesting and balanced since I've been playing it, which is more than you can say for a lot of games.

KobeBryan
01-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Kinda sucks since I got back into this game because of my two friends. Then I started doing the tournament scene and my two friends quit on me.

It sucks going to a tournament alone.

sdematt
01-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Kinda sucks since I got back into this game because of my two friends. Then I started doing the tournament scene and my two friends quit on me.

It sucks going to a tournament alone.

It's hard, Avatar, but you'll make new friends, don't worry. For now, it'll suck a little, but it'll pass.

-Matt

Megadeus
01-17-2013, 12:44 AM
The two friends that got me into the game dont do the tourney scene and since I went to college I dont see them anymore :/

But thats why we have LGS's right? To make new friends to go to tourneys with! I do feel you though. I go travel to big tourneys despite being pretty broke because it is a lot of fun to do and hanging out with friends. I know for sure that I would not travel out of state if I didnt have a bunch of good friends to do it with so I understand. I'd say start getting to know more people at your LGS.

Plague Sliver
01-17-2013, 12:58 AM
What is this? I feel like I'm browsing the Salvation boards these days. How many cards is enough to own, should I play without my friends, at what degree do foils warp...:tongue:

Joking aside, here's my 2 cents.

Are you playing for the love of the game, or are you playing as a social activity? For many people I suspect it's a little of both.

But you have to think about why you're in the Legacy format. It's a powered format and the cards do powerful things but sometimes the road is narrow and lonely. If you want to play with a bunch of people and possibly make new friends, then there are some other, possibly more friendly formats.

Legacy is a format that rewards thought and skill and sticking it out in the long term. Some things you do purely for social reasons, some things you do for the love of the game.

For me personally, the people I got back into Magic with aren't the people that still play Legacy with me. They've moved on as well. But I'm still here, browsing the forums when I should be doing something productive with my life. And I love the format.

So my suggestion is - keep going. You'll end up playing cool people, hit it off, and it won't matter. And you can play online these days as well. Don't let it go.

TsumiBand
01-17-2013, 01:18 AM
In my experience, the game is never totally out of your system.

I made a lot of bad moves re: Magic the cards - I sold the majority of my collection to pay some utilities, I quit my playtesting groups in order to get laid more, I let the game piss me off when I (surprise!!) no longer had the cards or the playtesting experience to do okay at FNM and put it on the shelf for a couple of years, and for a long time it really seemed like each time I brought my cards out was going to be the last time.

I still trolled the game, went on message boards, read spoilers for sets I would never play. Little things kept me coming back. One time it was local Legacy tournaments, which were pretty unheard of around here at the time. Certain blocks like the first Ravnica and Shards of Alara got me interested enough to play. The last thing that did it was the Commander product; I'd never really played EDH before that, and it hooked me right away. I'm playing more casual Standard and EDH than anything else these days - what can I say, all the Legacy stuff right now has a fucking entry fee - so my relationship with the game has changed a lot, seeing as how I was raised by Spikes when Invasion was in Standard and ended up being one of the weirdos in the office that plays Magic over lunch. But it's never completely gone away.

From personal experience I can tell you that if you sell out you will regret the living fuck out of it. Do not do it. Even if you have that "yeah, but..." thing in the back of your head and you even don't really feel like ever playing again. Do not sell your goddamned Magic cards until you are like 114% sure that the game is over for you. Even then, sit on it for a few months. Don't horde, don't be a collector, nobody likes that guy - but you will probably play again. And you don't want to be going, "Jesus where are my LEDs, the fuck are they.... oh yeah, that's right. Shit."

edit - in case someone somewhere is going, "how could it possibly be a mistake to play less magic to get more sex", well, I am definitely not with that girl anymore, so... that's how.

Megadeus
01-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Not to sound weird but Id rather play football/coach/talk football than have sex... Maybe Im a weirdo though.

But regardless I haven't hit a wall yet, but I know a guy who was going to get out of the game for awhile and turned all of his standard cards into Legacy cards that would hold value. Then when he came back he had all of these awesome Legacy cards. Like people have said, if you arent 100% sure you wont come back or you dont need the money too badly, there is no reason to sell out right away. Especially if you have reserve list staples. They can only go up in price. At least hold them until that happens Id say.

Tormod
01-17-2013, 07:34 AM
I'll be your friend :smile:

xfxf
01-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Spooky.

Dan Turner
01-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Don't sell out. I quit magic from about Urza's Saga to Mirridion, when I had a lot more going on then I had time. I regret all the time everything I sold off that at the time was not worth much. I started playing when I was 14 and I will turn 35 this year. Your never too old to play magic, we actually have a 52 year old in our play group.

Picc
01-17-2013, 09:30 AM
My first thought is see if you can buy their collections for cheap XD

Seriously though if you do quit put your collection to sleep before you go. This game has a habit of being one of those things you get back to a few years down the road. Case and point I had three buddies who I played with a while back who go out back in Rav block. One made a few decks he liked, put his commons/uncommon up on craigs list for $10 per thousand and took his binders to the local shops where he sold everything for store credit and turned the money around into 5 duals, a cradle, an academy, and a few chalice of the voids. He then put his condensed value into a closet in case he ever wanted to get back to the game a few years down the road. Since then his collection has only gone up in value and Im sure if he ever wants back in it will be easy to trade just one of those duals for as much current bulk as he parted with.

The other just threw his binders in a closet and has lost a tone of value when his collection rolled from standard. The third guy also went to the store and cashed out then went to the bars that night and blew through everything he got for his cards by the end of the week. Its a few years later now and were talking about starting up our kitchen table group again. You can guess which of my buddies are feeling the smartest right now.