PDA

View Full Version : Favorite basic land?



Megadeus
02-20-2013, 10:26 PM
What are everyones favorite art/version/whatever basic lands? Whatever reason, whether its because its alpha, foreign, pretty art, or even ugly, what basics does everyone play in their deck? Ill be playing with Basics for the first time in awhile, and the first time I just used Zen Full arts by Avon in Nic Fit, and then in stoneblade I used RTR foils (different versions because they are all sweet). I just would like to see what everyone else is playing in their decks!

syfilisx
02-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Revised in UR Delver since they fit duals and are fast to fetch. Unhinged in modern URw since happened to come by few. Japanese John Avon Onslaught when need forests. Onslaught and Portal two in edh-decks.

baghdadbob
02-20-2013, 11:16 PM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/us/347.jpg

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=175032&type=card

http://www.abugames.com/images/products/invasionfoil/island335.jpg

http://www.planeswalkerslibrary.com/images/zendikar/245.jpg

http://www.collectorscache.com/StoreModules/ProductImages/651/swamp291.jpg

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=157874&type=card

Love those Shadowmoor lands.

TheElvishPiper
02-20-2013, 11:42 PM
I had Guru basics in my Vintage decks for a while, but I eventually dumped them off and switched back to Beta basic lands. You cannot really go wrong with Beta! :smile:

r3dd09
02-20-2013, 11:51 PM
I've had summer, guru, euro/apac, etc. I still don't know what is my favorite, but I did just in quite a few beta basics today :)

http://i.imgur.com/bPB4nE7l.jpg

I do love the mirrodin spikey plains though.

kiblast
02-21-2013, 12:03 AM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/apac/10.jpg

and

http://www.cardkingdom.com/media/images/products/standard/126604_1.jpg

Are the first ones that come to mind. I just love these two artworks. For Forests Plains and Mountains I don't really have any favourite, I like lots of different artworks. But those two are just outstanding!

Kap'n Cook
02-21-2013, 12:21 AM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/p3k/177.jpg

warfordium
02-21-2013, 12:25 AM
it would too easy to just go for Unhinged x 5. i do love that mirage mountain something fierce. the way the green goes with the old frame red and the african feel....

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/be/284.jpg
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/mr/301.jpg
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/tp/311.jpg
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/uh/138.jpg
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/zen/230.jpg

ween
02-21-2013, 12:26 AM
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=25967&type=card http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=8334&type=card http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=8331&type=card http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=25963&type=card http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=8391&type=card

But i'm a big fan of the Tempest basic land as well, or Unhinged, depending on the deck (mostly old/mostly new borders)

I use the John Avon full art Zendikar's when drafting.

Have the Unhinged basic posters (signed) hanging on my wall along with an invasion basic (signed) all framed, such a John Avon fanboy :cool:

Purgatory
02-21-2013, 05:08 AM
I prefer lands that have the mana symbol rather than the text, my favorite is probably this one

http://www.svenskamagic.com/cardpics/europeanlands/plains11.hq.jpg


That said, I also like playing ugly white-bordered basics in my Legacy decks, partly because I find it easier to fetch (since all I have is Revised duals), and partly because it seems to piss people off when you show up with a deck costing well over a grand, containing stuff like:

http://www.svenskamagic.com/cardpics/6thedition/mountain343.full.jpghttp://www.svenskamagic.com/cardpics/6thedition/swamp339.full.jpg


And some of the times, I play with all old school Snow-Covered from Ice Age, my favorites are:

http://www.svenskamagic.com/cardpics/iceage/snow-coveredforest.full.jpghttp://www.svenskamagic.com/cardpics/iceage/snow-coveredisland.full.jpg

Especially the forest makes me homesick :P

pochy
02-21-2013, 06:32 AM
the one i like most


http://magiccards.info/scans/en/arena/39.jpg


i love the mix of: the foil effect + the oldest island drawing i prefer + the adapted shapes + the tap symbol

yankeedave
02-21-2013, 06:56 AM
I always play with the Unglued full art basics, in pretty much every deck that I play, including my Commander decks. They just look so cool to me, as they were the first full art land!

http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_arcana_347_pic1_en.jpg

bfeingersh
02-21-2013, 11:23 AM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/euro/4.jpghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/apac/7.jpghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/p3k/177.jpghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/apac/10.jpghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/apac/11.jpg

Honorable mention: http://magiccards.info/scans/en/apac/9.jpghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/on/347.jpg

danyul
02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I play with these (http://www.magiclibrarities.net/116-rarities-magic-premiere-shop-promos-english-cards-ravnica-guild-lands-2006.html) in any multicolor deck I'm playing, with the appropriate guild/land affiliations of course. For a monocolored deck I just grab any UNland.

Koby
02-21-2013, 11:45 AM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/be/286.jpghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/be/283.jpghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/be/296.jpg

Pretty much Beta art, but in 4th edition Koreeeeeeean font.

.dk
02-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Pretty much anything Beta (i like the text only, no tap symbol) but this forest gets honorable mention as well.


http://magiccards.info/scans/en/us/347.jpg

bfeingersh
02-21-2013, 02:02 PM
http://magiccards.infasdfo/scans/en/be/286.jpghttp:/asdf/magiccards.info/scans/en/be/283.jpghttp://magiccards.info/scans/en/basdfe/296.jpg

Pretty much Beta art, but in 4th edition Koreeeeeeean font.

Yeah, who plays forests or plains anyway?

Koby
02-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah, who plays forests or plains anyway?

well... DUH! Plains is fine if you're also playing Islands. Terminus should have had a :u: Miracle cost.

ac3eb
02-21-2013, 02:37 PM
the one i like most


http://magiccards.info/scans/en/arena/39.jpg


i love the mix of: the foil effect + the oldest island drawing i prefer + the adapted shapes + the tap symbol

This! It looks great and the foil effect works wonders with the sunset colors.

festeringGAB
02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/mr/311.jpg http://magiccards.info/scans/en/mr/313.jpg

alphastryk
02-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Pretty much Beta art, but in 4th edition Koreeeeeeean font.

The best lands. 4th edition plains are pretty boring though, so I use Tempest plains (Korean of course).


well... DUH! Plains is fine if you're also playing Islands. Terminus should have had a :u: Miracle cost.

Oh, sure, but forest is unacceptable.

phazonmutant
02-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Metallic ink signed beta Islands and Swamps.
http://i.imgur.com/xICNEWc.jpg

I have a pile of Beta Mountains and a few beta Forests floating around too.
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/be/286.jpg http://magiccards.info/scans/en/be/281.jpg

What are Plains?

baghdadbob
02-21-2013, 07:53 PM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/apac/10.jpg

That is a sexy swamp! What set is that from?

ween
02-21-2013, 08:16 PM
That is a sexy swamp! What set is that from?


Agreed.

It's from the APAC set of special lands that i think were tempest booster box promos?

Mr.C
02-22-2013, 03:14 PM
I can only think of the Forest I use right now for drafting:

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/5e/420.jpg

Plus the other ones from 5th, but these are my favorite.

igri_is_a_bk
03-20-2013, 03:58 AM
http://8e8460c4912582c4e519-11fcbfd88ed5b90cfb46edba899033c9.r65.cf1.rackcdn.com/sales/cardscans/MAGPRM/forestarenafoiliceage.jpg

berksowl
03-22-2013, 09:37 PM
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=20882&type=card

kiblast
03-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Agreed.

It's from the APAC set of special lands that i think were tempest booster box promos?

Apac II pack, Japan.

WorstBandNameEver
03-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I have pretty common tastes with lands. My favorite island is guru, plains in unglued, swamp is unhinged, forest is unhinged, and mountain is unglued.

I like full arts best but I've always love guru lands since the program was still happening over a decade ago.

Megadeus
03-23-2013, 05:08 PM
I was playing Portal Lands in my UR deck. Man the color is so vivid!

Malchar
03-23-2013, 05:49 PM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/cstd/53.jpg

This is one of my favorites. You get the snow-covered art without the annoying supertype. Too bad it has the new border though.

I also really like the urza's saga lands because you can get old-border foils yet they still have the full text: {T}: Add {C} to your mana pool."