PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] 12-Step Boom

morgan_coke
03-16-2013, 12:05 PM
This deck is named for it's versatile removal suite, which is kind of the founding principle of the deck. I was looking at my collection the other day and realized that Black/Green had a lot of universal removal in the forms of Abrupt Decay, Maelstrom Pulse, and Pernicious Deed. So I wondered what a deck built around them would look like. This is still very much a work in progress, but this is where I am now:

Deck Core:
4x Abrupt Decay
4x Maelstrom Pulse
4x Pernicious Deed

Between those twelve spells you can kill anything and everything anyone wants to play that isn't a land. The question becomes how do you support this removal suite against spell based strategies, problematic lands, and the ever popular "giant unsolvable monster" strategy. Wasteland and Dust Bowl seem like the obvious solutions to the land issue, with backup from Life from the Loam to keep the land flowing. For winning, planeswalker's seem like an obvious choice given the decks ability to control the board and their immunity to Deed. But that still leaves you with the "spell" and "giant monster" problems. You can try going discard, but this deck won't have a fast clock, and most combo decks can win through even massive discard after only a few turns. Which means splashing white or blue. White gives you more planeswalkers, lifegain, and the storm killing mix of Abeyance, Orim's Chant, and Silence. Blue gives you draw, countermagic, and Jace. I think Jace is probably decisive here, as much as I personally enjoy Abeyance and Chant.

You want your planeswalkers to win, control the board, and draw cards, which I think leads you towards Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Garruk, Primal Hunter, and Liliana of the Veil. Which I think breaks down like:

3x Liliana of the Veil
3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2x Garruk, Primal Hunter

Next up is the "spell" issue. Since your removal suite is so strong in this deck, I think it makes sense to focus the countermagic on non-permanents. I. E. instants and sorceries. And we don't want people getting too many cards in hand, and we want to help out Liliana, so a singleton Raven's Crime seems like a good idea too. That means we're looking at something like:

3x Flusterstorm
3x Spell Pierce
2x Negate
1x Raven's Crime

Throw in 23 or so lands and a pair of Life from the Loams, and we're up to 54 cards. Throw in a draw package of two Intuitions, an Eternal Witness and three Fact or Fictions and we're probably done. Which leaves us with a decklist of:

Creatures
1x Eternal Witness

Enchantments
4x Pernicious Deed

Planeswalkers
3x Liliana of the Veil
3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2x Garruk, Primal Hunter

Instants
4x Abrupt Decay
3x Flusterstorm
3x Spell Pierce
2x Negate
2x Intuition
3x Fact or Fiction

Sorceries
2x Life from the Loam
1x Raven's Crime
4x Maelstrom Pulse

Lands
4x Wasteland
3x Misty Rainforest
3x Verdant Catacombs
2x Polluted Delta
2x Tropical Island
3x Bayou
2x Underground Sea
1x Volrath's Stronghold
1x Island
1x Forest
1x Swamp

Sideboard
4x Obstinate Baloth
4x Surgical Extraction
3x Tormod's Crypt
4x Duress

Theoretically at least, this seems like a very strong deck, you've got outstanding board control, hard to remove win conditions, answers to spell and hand based strategies, while your sideboard gives you extra oomph versus spells, aggro, and a lot of graveyard hate. I went with Obstinate Baloth over Kitchen Finks as an answer to opposing Liliana's. This is very rough, and I'm sure it can be tuned to be much better, but I thought I'd share it with the community and see if I could get some feedback on improving it. Thanks.

Greenpoe
03-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Check this out:
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?21620-U-B-g-The-Mind-Harvester

Megadeus
03-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Looks like nic fit walkers with blue

catmint
03-17-2013, 04:55 AM
NIc fit abuses veteran explorer/cabal therapy. This is just a bad version of BUG creatureless control or deedstill or whatever you want to call it. Plenty of existing threads since this deck exists for a loooong time. :tongue:

KazinMtg
03-18-2013, 05:47 AM
No brainstorm?