PDA

View Full Version : Stoneblade.

DragoFireheart
04-12-2013, 03:15 PM
The few decks:

http://www.tcdecks.net/tipo.php?archetype=Stoneblade&format=Vintage

So have always loved Stoneforge Mystic/Batterskull and Jace, the Mind Sculptor. From what little I know about Vintage, it looks like Stoneblade would be decent against MUD/Fish, meh against Oth and bad against Combo decks.

How can I make this deck work? Any suggestions?

Koby
04-12-2013, 04:44 PM
I think you identified exactly what is needed. SFM/Batterskull is powerful enough to beat MUD on its own (outside of Revoker). Jace TMS is powerful enough to beat some Blue decks. Together they give you a lot of tools. Combo is easy enough to answer with Mental Misstep, Mana Drain (to power out Jace and Batterskull), and Flusterstorm.

A third color could help against the other matchups. Black for strong tutors and discard. Red for artifact destruction and cheap creature/Jace removal. Green, likely doesn't fit as it does not have very powerful splash worthy cards outside of Tarmogoyf. I'm going to keep this deck in mind over the weekend and try to brew a list that has some staying power.

DragoFireheart
04-12-2013, 06:27 PM
I think you identified exactly what is needed. SFM/Batterskull is powerful enough to beat MUD on its own (outside of Revoker). Jace TMS is powerful enough to beat some Blue decks. Together they give you a lot of tools. Combo is easy enough to answer with Mental Misstep, Mana Drain (to power out Jace and Batterskull), and Flusterstorm.

A third color could help against the other matchups. Black for strong tutors and discard. Red for artifact destruction and cheap creature/Jace removal. Green, likely doesn't fit as it does not have very powerful splash worthy cards outside of Tarmogoyf. I'm going to keep this deck in mind over the weekend and try to brew a list that has some staying power.

A few of the lists splash a color. But, that doesn't seem to be a requirement. Take a look at this one:

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=8323&iddeck=60659

Top 5 in an event with 326 people. That's not too shabby considering that it doesn't abuse some of the typical Vintage staples beyond Tinker and Power Nine (Vault, Oath, Gush, etc) and it's in U/W. It almost looks like someone just port their Legacy deck into Vintage. That was a year ago, but Vintage doesn't change that drastically. Anyways, in the smaller events the most color splash seems to be black for Confidant, but there are quite a few that opt not to splash a color. I just find it curious that the one event with over 100 people had a U/W deck that got into the Top 4.

Koby
04-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Yep the list looks very similar to what Bomberman tries to do - win with creatures and heavy permission. Unlike Bomberman, it doesn't rely on game winning bombs, and instead grinds out advantage like the Legacy Stoneblade variations. It's quite effective. Notice that Tinker/BSC is still in the Sideboard.

DragoFireheart
04-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Notice that Tinker/BSC is still in the Sideboard.

Yeah I didn't catch that right away. Still, they keep it in the board... what matchups would you use it in? Fish? MUD?

I'm very new to Vintage meta. The last time I kept up at all was when Tezzert was the best deck before MUD started saturating the meta.