View Full Version : Defective all-rares starter decks
Shtriga
04-27-2013, 08:23 PM
So, I was watching a couple of beta starter opening movies in youtube, and reminiscing the days when I first started playing magic, back in tempest block in 97.
And I remembered something I had forgot for a very long while. I searched the internet high and low, and couldn't find any reference about it. I wonder if it happened to anyone else, and if it did happen in other sets, rather than only tempest starters, and also why it happened in the first place.
Because at least in my country, every now and then some tempest starter decks would be all-rare decks. If I recall correctly, the 3 rare slots would be lands or uncommons, and the remaining 57 cards would be rares. Pretty sweet, right? A guy from the local shop got 3 of those in a row.
Anyone had any of this happening to them? Any additional info on this? Just curious, that's all :).
DrJones
04-27-2013, 08:53 PM
I once saw one person open a defective Onslaught starter deck, had rares instead of lands. The guy got three pit champions and at least 2 fetchlands. He was playing a limited tourney, so he couldn't compete with that deck (I don't remember if he was given another starter deck for the tournament, or bought a new one).
Because at least in my country, every now and then some tempest starter decks would be all-rare decks.
What country?
Dan Turner
04-27-2013, 11:11 PM
it use to be frequent (well about as frequent as getting miscut cards or other printing errors)
Use to always make sure we got the first pack from every new box from about Tempest on since it would happen to whole boxes from time to time.
It is funny when I look back at how many miscut cards I mussed have tossed since the were "ruined" or cards that had got caught in the pack when they were sealed and the card was ruined
ReAnimator
04-28-2013, 12:50 AM
There were some Invasion block boosters that had a ton of rares in them iirc.
This used to happen every now and again with old sets. I remember revised and onslaught starters that had a bunch of rares in them.
syfilisx
04-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Friend opened multiple tournament packs of Lorwyn with all rares.
Markers
04-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Packs like this are called "God Boosters" they happen once every blue moon (check Librarities). Either has something to do with a problem at the card product site (the wrong sheets in the machine) or WOTC deliberately does that (the conspiracy theory).
Never heard of God Starters though...Very nice.
Collation and packaging errors are hard to avoid... WotC still gets the wrong cards in packs once in awhile. Right now there's the widely publicized issue of shocklands being in the place of certain rares in certain languages for DGM, and people have opened up a few Modern Masters cards in DGM packs.
Back in the days I remember that we had a box of Fallen Empires boosters that were all rares. We didn't realize then that the cards in them were totally worthless since it was only the commons/uncommons that were playable =)
I recall having heard about someone in Vienna having opened the Elspeth-side of the Elspeth vs. Tezzert-Duel Deck with all of the cards being the foil variant of Elspeth, Knight-Errant. Don't know if it's really true, but the ROI on that pack would have been decent enough. :)
Purgatory
04-29-2013, 07:47 AM
people have opened up a few Modern Masters cards in DGM packs.
Google was of no help. Any more info on this?
Dan Turner
04-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Collation and packaging errors are hard to avoid... WotC still gets the wrong cards in packs once in awhile. Right now there's the widely publicized issue of shocklands being in the place of certain rares in certain languages for DGM, and people have opened up a few Modern Masters cards in DGM packs.
Shocklands are suppose to be in the packs all 10 were reprinted on the original sheets to have in Dragon's Maze and as far as I know the only MM card is a single Modern Masters card Aether Spellbomb and there is no proof it was even opened in the pack and is not a leaked card on purpose.
I recall having heard about someone in Vienna having opened the Elspeth-side of the Elspeth vs. Tezzert-Duel Deck with all of the cards being the foil variant of Elspeth, Knight-Errant. Don't know if it's really true, but the ROI on that pack would have been decent enough. :)
It's true. Duel Decks have notoriously poor quality control for whatever reason. Extra cards, missing cards, cards replaced with other cards, ridiculous misprints, etc etc.
Shocklands are suppose to be in the packs all 10 were reprinted on the original sheets to have in Dragon's Maze and as far as I know the only MM card is a single Modern Masters card Aether Spellbomb and there is no proof it was even opened in the pack and is not a leaked card on purpose.
Your ego is still inversely proportional to your writing skill, I see.
https://www.wizards.com/wpn/News/Article.aspx?x=2013_03_01_DGMFoilFAQ
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1da2ep/this_got_pulled_in_a_dgm_pack_at_prerelease/
Dan Turner
04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
It's true. Duel Decks have notoriously poor quality control for whatever reason. Extra cards, missing cards, cards replaced with other cards, ridiculous misprints, etc etc.
Your ego is still inversely proportional to your writing skill, I see.
https://www.wizards.com/wpn/News/Article.aspx?x=2013_03_01_DGMFoilFAQ
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1da2ep/this_got_pulled_in_a_dgm_pack_at_prerelease/
Ok I am wrong on the shocks but a picture and one card does not make it true that it was opened in a standard pack there are times similar pre-pre release cards have been sent in prize material. It has happened almost every set as far as I can recall for the last few years.
Angelfire
04-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Google was of no help. Any more info on this?
Someone got an Aether Spellbomb with the Modern Masters symbol at the DGM prerelease. Has that ever been cast in Modern? :P
Darkenslight
04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Yeah, for what it's worth, I know someone who got a God-booster from a Russian RAV error - it had 14 Shocklands and a Foil basic (NOT RTR).
That was fun times.
Purgatory
04-30-2013, 05:21 AM
https://www.wizards.com/wpn/News/Article.aspx?x=2013_03_01_DGMFoilFAQ
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1da2ep/this_got_pulled_in_a_dgm_pack_at_prerelease/
That was great, thanks for the links!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.