PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Theft: The Game Has Changed (SCG)



lordofthepit
05-15-2013, 03:31 AM
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26169_Theft-The-Game-Has-Changed.html

This is one of the most in-depth articles I've read about theft. It's not victim-blaming, but it still instructs how we can better protect ourselves as a community. Also, this isn't some random dude just talking out of his ass: the author was an intelligence analyst for the Army and for the government. I highly recommend everyone give this a read.

(nameless one)
05-15-2013, 07:39 AM
I miss the days when this game used to be fun.

Money changes everything.

PirateKing
05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
I would like to see some sanctioned sting operations undertaken at SCG or Wizard tournaments.

Set up a deckbox with some high quality proxies, with like legitimate fronts but blank or otherwise non-magic backs, put a RF security tag inside the deckbox, and throw up a set of the detectors at the entrance/exit. Have operators "play" a game, and otherwise act like a patron, allow some nogoodnik to lift it, and have them get caught at the door. Security guards already present tackle the offender and beat him up a little before handing him over to police.

Repeat with fake binders and bags and whatever else is getting snatched at these things. At least to place some risk beyond getting caught red handed.

As for the organized criminal rings, someone in a position to do so (DCI, Wizards, Hasboro, FBI) is going to need to combat it like any other organized crime. Of which my only experience is watching The Wire, so I won't offer any suggestions as far as that.

But as far as the opportunistic thieves preying on the absent minded, this seems like a good way to catch a few and at least give others reason to reconsider before grabbing the next binder or whatever.

Esper3k
05-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Sad that we've evolved to a state where this is commonplace, but unsurprising. Good, informative article though.

atropos
05-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks for writing this article, Martin. I'm happy that you've shed light on thefts in an a constructive manner on a public forum. I agree that our best weapon against thefts is to stay informed and I think your article did exactly that--raise awareness. Very well done.

Richard Cheese
05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
It's like the more money we come across, the more problems we see.

In all seriousness though, this was a great article. If one of the biggest upsides to stealing cards is that they are essentially unmarked and hard or impossible to trace, why not make them more traceable?. How much would it devalue cards to actually mark them with something like initials or a small symbol somewhere on the back? Something that would not affect playability or the appearance of the card could be useful for those of us that don't plan on trading our staples any time soon, but would still like the option of someday cashing out if we need to.

Einherjer
05-15-2013, 02:02 PM
What a good thing I always play with a bunch of altered cards :D
And still, I think the best way to prevent this stuff is simply bringing only your backpack, your deck, something to write, your playmat and something to eat/drink with you...

Good article.

Greetings

Richard Cheese
05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
What a good thing I always play with a bunch of altered cards :D
And still, I think the best way to prevent this stuff is simply bringing only your backpack, your deck, something to write, your playmat and something to eat/drink with you...

Good article.

Greetings

I believe Eli Kassis had a bunch of alters stolen along with his other stuff. I'm sure it makes that stuff harder to get back on the market, but I wouldn't think it would prevent theft unless it's clear that all your money cards are altered. My idea is to do something very subtle that hopefully wouldn't prevent the cards from being resold, which you could use to start tracking them down.

ESG
05-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Good article. One point that I don't feel was emphasized enough is that this is a community, and that provides a lot of strength and extra eyes. Look after your friends and they'll look after you. Theft is never going to go away, but we can minimize it by being sensible and vigilant and looking out for one another.

Dan Turner
05-15-2013, 09:58 PM
This is the main reason I use uv ink to stamp my cards. Leaves no visible mark but under a blacklight you can see my initials in the bottom corner.


This is one of the biggest reasons to remove the reserved list, reprint some of the stuff and bring it back down to reasonable levels. Lower value decks means the risk is no longer worth the reward. I have no problem with $20-$30 duals but when you mana base is hitting $100 or more per card. Or in the case of Zindakar fetches $30-$40 per card. (Pun not intentional). Theft is only going to escalate along with the value of cards. I remember $500 being a reasonable price for a legacy deck less then 6 years ago and now it is considered budget.

luckme10
05-15-2013, 11:28 PM
I probably would have added another tier to the serious criminal acts subsection. Something along the lines of:
On August 27, Sean Dugas was beated to death at his home in Pensacola for his magic cards. Dugas' cards, valued at somewhere between $25,000 and $100,000, ultimately were sold in Pensacola, Georgia and Tennessee, police said.

pavlaugh
05-16-2013, 09:33 AM
This is the main reason I use uv ink to stamp my cards. Leaves no visible mark but under a blacklight you can see my initials in the bottom corner.


This is one of the biggest reasons to remove the reserved list, reprint some of the stuff and bring it back down to reasonable levels. Lower value decks means the risk is no longer worth the reward. I have no problem with $20-$30 duals but when you mana base is hitting $100 or more per card. Or in the case of Zindakar fetches $30-$40 per card. (Pun not intentional). Theft is only going to escalate along with the value of cards. I remember $500 being a reasonable price for a legacy deck less then 6 years ago and now it is considered budget.

I had a deck stolen when duals were $10 each. Perhaps some theft is motivated by value, but other theft simply results from immoral people being opportunistic.

Dan Turner
05-16-2013, 10:10 AM
I had a deck stolen when duals were $10 each. Perhaps some theft is motivated by value, but other theft simply results from immoral people being opportunistic.

True, I had cards stolen back when I was a senior in high school. This was in 1994 when the most valuable card in my deck was Guardian Beast and Juzam Djinn, at one time these were worth more then the mox in my deck. A theft of opportunity is less likely to happen though when there is some minor care taken. What we are seeing now is actual people traveling from event to event for the sole purpose of stealing cards. I actually have a deck with duals that was left at our local LGS we used to have. I turned it in to the owner and after a month no one claimed it and when he was closing the shop he gave it to me just in case the person ever came looking for it. The deck still sits on my bookcase, no one in our town ever could figure out whose it was. My theory is that since the next town over is a huge tourist destination is that it was someone from out of town.

I think higher entry fees to big events and the money put towards security, backpack checks (possibly using the plastic clothing tags on backpacks that can not be removed without ID showing its your bag). There is no real way to stop all theft never going to happen. I have had cards taken from a binder while I was sitting right in front of the person.


My best advice.

1.) Do not carry more then you need at any time. Its cool you have a set of graded power nine, there is no reason to bring it with you unless you plan on selling it.

2.) Try not to carry huge trade binders, I know mine is about 3 inches thick but there is nothing in there worth more then $50, I do not take it to any big events. I keep a smaller 2 x 2 ultra pro that fits in the pocket on my pants, it keeps my decent trade bait in it. I try to keep the value of it under $1000 now used to be $500 but in reality thats not very many legacy cards anymore.

3.) Wear clothing that you can put your deck in a pocket. Even if you have to pee take it with you. I personally don't even leave my deck with friends because it is not their responsibility to watch your shit. I remember a few years back a major vintage player losing a full deck this way at his local LGS.

4.) Do not carry more then you need.

cdr
05-16-2013, 10:34 AM
This is the main reason I use uv ink to stamp my cards. Leaves no visible mark but under a blacklight you can see my initials in the bottom corner.


I have no idea how that could ever accomplish anything. Even if you never intend to trade cards ever - and that would make you quite unique - there's about a 0% chance you ever see the cards again if they're taken in a premeditated theft.

Julian23
05-16-2013, 10:34 AM
I remember at BoM, I was holding my deckbox in hands the entire time. I had borrowed a 12 Post deck from Sergey (at this point I just assume everyone in Europe knows Sergey) pimped out to the absolute maximum. I was so afraid of losing it, it literally never left my hands. I just can't stand the stress of having a small box worth several thousand Euros hanging out in my backpack, ready for anyone to grab during tight gatherings like in front of new pairings.

What I really would love to have are handcuffs for my deckbox.

luckme10
05-16-2013, 09:44 PM
This is the main reason I use uv ink to stamp my cards. Leaves no visible mark but under a blacklight you can see my initials in the bottom corner.


I have no idea how that could ever accomplish anything. Even if you never intend to trade cards ever - and that would make you quite unique - there's about a 0% chance you ever see the cards again if they're taken in a premeditated theft.

Agreed, I think marking your cards with urine would be a far more effective deterrent for theft.