PDA

View Full Version : MTGO "The Source" clan discussion/organization



Barook
06-24-2013, 08:16 AM
I think it's appropriate to make an extra thread for this discussion since the other one doesn't have much to do with the Legacy format itself.

To-do list:

1) clan leadership
2) clan description
3) organization of firing daily events
4) other means to promote the format
5) playtesting
6) other

As for 5), I would suggest to add available decks to the account name thread (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?26272-MTGO-account-names). The advantage would be an easy to find contact list where you can look up potential playtesting partners. "Today, I want to playtest against Merfolk - so I can contact user X, Y, Z".

About 4) I would suggest to add links about the clan (when done) and the account name thread as links to signatures to spread the word.

Maro_
06-24-2013, 08:36 AM
firstly we need to create a clan on MTGO so we get started.
The name: The Source it's already taken, TheSource it's still free.

Kayradis
06-24-2013, 08:41 AM
I discussed with Viridian yesterday in regards to the clan.
As of right now I can't find it in the clan DB on MTGO.

Still looking to acquire 4 x Natural Order as soon as possible to complete Combo Elves since it's the last big piece I need to get my hands on.

Just sold my Mutavaults this week since they are getting reprinted in M14 and Im expecting a huge price drop for those(they went from 16 to 12 since the announcement). But Merfolks is 90% completed (missing FoW and Daze).

I can lend some cards to people if needed.
Just let me know.

I'd really like to get an event fired up this week before I go on my summer vacations(27 June - 06 July)

Simply add me and fire me a msg.
DocteurGabe is the nickname!

Viridia
06-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Hmm, i was just thinking, if you go on vacation, and have combo elves near enough completed, mind me borrowing it while you're away and can't play? :) Think i actually have most pieces from playing Modern Elf Combo anyway xD

Barook
06-24-2013, 09:29 AM
I'd really like to get an event fired up this week before I go on my summer vacations(27 June - 06 July)

I don't think it's realistic to get things started in that time frame since Legacy DEs are currently dead like disco. And even with people interested here, not everybody can play in the same event due work/time zones/whatever. Unless you aim for 8-mans which have a horrible payout.

What we could try is attracting attention for DE participation on MTGSalvation as well.

Julian23
06-24-2013, 09:54 AM
It's funny, the last thread posted to the The Source MODO clan forum (pm an admin for admission; it's hidden) was Mike Caffrey asking for Natural Orders. It seems there still pretty hard to come by at a reasonable price.

Trying to Get some Natural...
by
mchainmail
06-29-2011, 04:54 AM

Barook
06-24-2013, 09:58 AM
It's funny, the last thread posted to the The Source MODO clan forum (pm an admin for admission; it's hidden) was Mike Caffrey asking for Natural Orders. It seems there still pretty hard to come by at a reasonable price.

Sure, the limited use sucks, I wouldn't call 25$ a piece outrageous expensive, especially compared to Rishadan Ports - now that price is stupid as hell.

Julian23
06-24-2013, 10:08 AM
25$ is actually nothing for MODO. Haven't check on Ports lately but I wouldn't be surprised had they broken the 100$ price tag by now.

Only for a very short period of time has MODO ever been slightly cheaper than paper Magic. Right now it's even more expensive. But on the other hand, if you 3:1 or 4:0 only every 3rd DE, you're most of the time still breaking even. So on top of good practice etc. you can also make a little bit of tix/money. Not that it mattered but it's a nice bonus.

Kayradis
06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Hmm, i was just thinking, if you go on vacation, and have combo elves near enough completed, mind me borrowing it while you're away and can't play? :) Think i actually have most pieces from playing Modern Elf Combo anyway xD

What are you missing for Combo Elves?
Lemme know and we can probably figure something out!

I'm not too keen on pushing right away towards MTGS. Call me elitist or whatever, but we should concentrate on getting our bandwagon started before cliping on other weight behind us. I could be wrong too and that could help us as well.

and I guess I'll have to pay full price for those goddamned NO....

Barook
06-24-2013, 01:16 PM
25$ is actually nothing for MODO. Haven't check on Ports lately but I wouldn't be surprised had they broken the 100$ price tag by now.

Only for a very short period of time has MODO ever been slightly cheaper than paper Magic. Right now it's even more expensive. But on the other hand, if you 3:1 or 4:0 only every 3rd DE, you're most of the time still breaking even. So on top of good practice etc. you can also make a little bit of tix/money. Not that it mattered but it's a nice bonus.

Ports are currently 72$. Overall, MTGO is still way cheaper than paper with a few exceptions, especially when duals are involved.

Kayradis
06-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Im hoping to build CounterTop before the end of the summer.

That was the original plan....

Unfortunately, the gf lost her job and now I am there, with a crushed dream and a will to grind...

So right now, Im grinding 2-Man RTR Block constructed with an horrible deck I would never sleeve (RDW....)

Anybody feels like joining me on my path of mayhem and destructions? Hopefully, Ill be able to cash my wins and slowly build Counter Top!

Barook
06-24-2013, 06:58 PM
As far as grinding goes, aren't Pauper and especially Momir Basic a way better choice? :confused:

Julian23
06-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Pauper is great for grinding. I used to play it a lot last year and sure made some 100 tix. It's a very slow and ultra grindy process but it works pretty well. Don't know about the meta though these days. Like 6 months ago, it was kind of this untold "secret" that MonoU Delver was the actual and overall best deck. Only matchup that required some trimming was Ur Post.

Phelix
06-25-2013, 03:16 PM
i sometimes play modo on legacy.

mostly with account: Samuel, but also Utar.

I have most stuff (fow, goyf, Waste, jace, etc)

i think i have these build atm:

Junk
Bug (shardless)
Dredge
Merfolk
UW/r miracles
UR/w Geist
Enchantress


maybe others.

Online exclusively on Samuel

Maro_
06-25-2013, 03:30 PM
anybody interested in Legacy daily firing in sek? :)

Who can create the "TheSource" clan on Modo?
It would be a nice start.

Barook
06-25-2013, 03:42 PM
anybody interested in Legacy daily firing in sek? :)

I think the best course of action is to choose a date + event way in advance to gather enough people. Nothing is more disappointing than the event not firing.

Probably something preferable on the weekend, since timezones + work is probably very stifling in the very beginning until we gather enough people.

jbeam
06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Any further movement on this? I play most evenings US east-coast time (same name as here), and would be interested in joining the clan and getting some DEs to fire.

Barook
06-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Not yet. Maybe Freggle can finalize the clan thingy to get things started?

dunk
06-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Pauper is great for grinding. I used to play it a lot last year and sure made some 100 tix. It's a very slow and ultra grindy process but it works pretty well. Don't know about the meta though these days. Like 6 months ago, it was kind of this untold "secret" that MonoU Delver was the actual and overall best deck. Only matchup that required some trimming was Ur Post.

Yeah, I also restarted Modo by playing Pauper. Mono U was a beast, but I also had succes with different decks, like the now dead Storm or Tortured Existence. What was true last year is still true this year, except for that Storm and Infect took big hits. It's pretty much undeniable that UR Cloudpost is the single best deck now, but others like Mono U or the Faery Storm are still very playable.
If you feel comfortable to play vs one of the three mentioned decks, Pauper may be your thing.

Barook
06-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Is the clan leader of the old Source clan active at all? If not, I'm going to say "fuck it" and found "TheSource" this weekend as temporary leader (until we settle things) to get things rolling before people start to lose interest again.

Kayradis
06-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Is the clan leader of the old Source clan active at all? If not, I'm going to say "fuck it" and found "TheSource" this weekend as temporary leader (until we settle things) to get things rolling before people start to lose interest again.



DO IT!
I was able to find an internet connection and MIGHT be able to do 1 DE.

Maro_
06-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Is the clan leader of the old Source clan active at all? If not, I'm going to say "fuck it" and found "TheSource" this weekend as temporary leader (until we settle things) to get things rolling before people start to lose interest again.

this is a good idea.
The clan leader of "The Source" is available from time to time... but there is nobody who plays atm.
Let us know :)

Barook
06-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Just submitted a request for "TheSource" (on the old client, just to be sure). Let's see how it goes. While I would prefer "The Source" as a name, it can't be helped. If the leader of the old clan shows up, we could still transition over and take over the reigns.

But we DO need a platform for organization right now. Once we have a sufficient number of members, we could also ask the admins to revive the old clan forum section.

rockout
06-29-2013, 03:54 PM
I've been holding the source on mtgo forever. As you can tell by my post count, at one point I was super active on this website, now I don't even think about legacy in the same breath as I used to. I've been free rolling the shit out of the standard for the last two years and just enjoying the game again. If someone wants control of the source clan on mtgo just send me a message and ask for it. As long as you keep me in the clan.

Barook
06-29-2013, 04:44 PM
I've been talking with Rockout - currently, he can't invite me due the clan request I've made earlier this day. As soon as the issue is resolved, he'll give me leadership and I can start to get things rolling.

And there's no reason to kick old members. :wink:

rockout
06-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Good luck. I'm no longer the keeper of the grail.

Barook
06-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Rockout made me clan leader (for now) of the old "The Source" clan. I can start inviting people now.

Just message me via PM or ingame under _barook_ if you're interested to join.

Freggle
07-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Rockout made me clan leader (for now) of the old "The Source" clan. I can start inviting people now.

Just message me via PM or ingame under _barook_ if you're interested to join.

Thanks everyone for keeping the Clan rolling, and sorry for falling of the earth there for a bit. Life took hold for a second. So when do we organize our first daily?

Barook
07-01-2013, 11:41 AM
My suggestion would the be one on Sunday, 10:30 am:

Event Calender (http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/magiconline.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/calendar)

If I'm not mistaken, this should be the event at 19:30 GMT+1 one - since it's Sunday and the times are acceptable for both EU and NA, we should try this one first.

Lord_Mcdonalds
07-01-2013, 09:52 PM
5 more needed for the daily as of writing, tell your friends.

.dk
07-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Damnit, I can't make Sunday DEs - same time as our local weekly Legacy. :(

Barook
07-02-2013, 07:34 AM
5 more needed for the daily as of writing, tell your friends.
Did the event fire?

As for future organization, could anybody make some kind of online spreadsheet with the weekly legacy schedule where everybody interested could enter their names?

Basic idea behind that would be an overview whether a DE is likely to fire or not.

dunk
07-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Not to dishonor your efforts, but you are overcomplicating things here. Rule of thumb is: If you got the time to play Modo, check if there is a daily you can play in and join a couple of hours in advance. Nothing suggests more interest than people waiting in an event hours before it starts. It also tells the kind of people who think "it's not going to fire anyway" that it might fire, and makes them join as well.

Btw the event just now fired - obviously I missed it :D But then, there are too many Pro Tour calibour people in there and I haven't updated my decks in months, so probably not the worst missed event ever ;)

Koby
07-02-2013, 04:18 PM
This week might see a lot more activity due to the American holiday of fireworks & grilled animals & overconsumption of American beers.

Nothing spells "massive MTGO presence" quite like "overconsumption".

Barook
07-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Btw the event just now fired - obviously I missed it :D But then, there are too many Pro Tour calibour people in there and I haven't updated my decks in months, so probably not the worst missed event ever ;)

I was playing with the idea, but decided against it - 21:30 is too late for 4 rounds, considering I have to work tomorrow and still had stuff to do until now.

Drunk Magic rampage aside, I think we can get the event on Sunday to fire. Let's see how it goes.

Adryan
07-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Add me pls. My username: TheRiedl

Barook
07-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on? :confused:

I just noticed that everybody else was appearently kicked and that Adryan/TheRiedl is the sole member/clanleader now.

How is that possible?

pryite199
07-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Can anybody tell me what the hell is going on? :confused:

I just noticed that everybody else was appearently kicked and that Adryan/TheRiedl is the sole member/clanleader now.

How is that possible?

Not sure but I expect its a glitch cause I'm seeing me in the clan and him as the only other member as well.

Maro_
07-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Not sure but I expect its a glitch cause I'm seeing me in the clan and him as the only other member as well.

it looks for me th same, I and TheRiedl are the only members withoud Captain...

Barook
07-04-2013, 12:10 PM
So, how are we gonna resolve the situation? Customer support?

Barook
07-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Sorry for the double post.

Seems like the issue resolved itself.

That said, anybody interested in the event in 8 hours from now on?

pryite199
07-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Nice to see your end was fixed, mines still bugged hopefully it will fix itself as well.

Maro_
07-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Nice to see your end was fixed, mines still bugged hopefully it will fix itself as well.

I was already two times bugged, now it works.

It would be nice to make a special place for our forum to discuss...
when to meet to play test, what GMT etc.

Who need to be informed about this suggestion?

Barook
07-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Depends. Somebody from the admins, considering there is a hidden clan forum for members from what I've gathered.

But considering not everybody who visits the forum and is interested is part of the clan (since they have their own ones), I'm not too sure what's the best cause of action.

About the bug: Sometimes it works, sometimes it works. Quality programming right there, Wizards.

Ps: Friendly reminder: 18h 40 min until the daily event we should be aiming for to fire. Make sure to sign up early enough to gather outsider attention. Let's see if we can make this work! :cool:

Barook
07-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Sorry for my double post:

The next Legacy DE is starting in about 100 minutes. If you're interested and have time, then please sign up asap to attract more people and tell friends on your friend list.

claudio.r
07-07-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm interested in being part of the clan... even though i don't have a full legacy deck yet... i'm still working on it!

I'm DailyMatters on mtgo.

Barook
07-07-2013, 04:01 PM
I'll invite you once the bug is gone.

And the daily today did fire. Let's see if we can make it a regular thing again.

That said, I'm kinda bitter how I lost G3 of my last match against MonoU S&T, going 2-2 (other loss was Tin Fins) in the end. Maro_ did better and went at least 3-1, only losing against U/G Infect in the last match.

pryite199
07-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I found that there was a minor update sometime after the down time, also I repaired the client (don't use the short cut start up to see the repair option) and it fixed the bug for me. Might give those 2 a try and see what happens.

Adryan
07-08-2013, 04:16 AM
How was the daily yesterday? I was 1 min too late -.-

Today we have another daily at 5PM 30 (European Time).

Kayradis
07-08-2013, 07:52 AM
I might not be able to play tonight.
It's modern night and I have to go grind some points and money.

Have fun with the DE!

Maro_
07-08-2013, 06:00 PM
I found that there was a minor update sometime after the down time, also I repaired the client (don't use the short cut start up to see the repair option) and it fixed the bug for me. Might give those 2 a try and see what happens.

It doesn't work for me, I'm running 'kicker.exe' and after that repair and still bugged. :(

bkemke
07-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Daily in 8 minutes if anyone can make it

Megadeus
07-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I think my account was hi jacked :/ Luckily I havent put serious money into it... Still annoying though

vercadium
07-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Please invite me (same username). I'm still saving up for my deck but will be playing regularly once I buy-in.

Kayradis
07-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Where you able to fire it up yesterday?

Barook
07-13-2013, 03:30 AM
Looks like Legacy events are firing more often again. (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnline.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/whatshappening)

The event yesterday night fired as well. At the very least, we should aim for the Sunday event tomorrow firing as well.

That said - how should we organize ourselves? An internal clan forum alone doesn't do much since there are quite a few people here who have other clans, but are interested in Legacy as well.

Maybe we should ask the Admins for a small MTGO section in the forum where we can discuss the online metagame and other stuff?

RainyMood
07-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Everyone in the clan aside from MonkeyIsland appears to have disappeared. Is this the bug you were talking about earlier? Is there anything I can do to see other clanmembers?

Ogh!
07-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Everyone in the clan aside from MonkeyIsland appears to have disappeared. Is this the bug you were talking about earlier? Is there anything I can do to see other clanmembers?

I had this bug several times. Yesterday evening everything was fine, though. I've never done anything to fix it but wait.

Monkey_Island
07-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Same thing as Ogh!, I had this bug 1-2 days before joining the clan, then fixed the day (yesterday) I joined.
I can't check right now. Where does it com from?

Ogh!
07-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Same thing as Ogh!, I had this bug 1-2 days before joining the clan, then fixed the day (yesterday) I joined.
I can't check right now. Where does it com from?

I strongly believe that the bug is affecting players with 4x Chalice of the Void in their collection far more often. Just sell them and build a decent deck. Goblins maybe? :)

Maro_
07-19-2013, 02:05 AM
I strongly believe that the bug is affecting players with 4x Chalice of the Void in their collection far more often. Just sell them and build a decent deck. Goblins maybe? :)

heheh :D

I got the bug to... i strongly believe that it it's every time when a change is made, and the repair function from 'Kicker.exe' will help.

About dailys, they fire every day! :)

Monkey_Island
07-19-2013, 02:48 AM
I strongly believe that the bug is affecting players with 4x Chalice of the Void in their collection far more often. Just sell them and build a decent deck. Goblins maybe? :)

Admit it, you enjoyed playing against my Soldiers deck! Deep inside, you liked the challenge to play against a (4 CotV, 4 Thalia) MD + (4 LloS, 4 ToA) SB deck ;)

Ogh!
07-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Admit it, you enjoyed playing against my Soldiers deck! Deep inside, you liked the challenge to play against a (4 CotV, 4 Thalia) MD + (4 LloS, 4 ToA) SB deck ;)

Oh, I did! Both games were very thought-provoking and close. E.g. G2: If I had known how MTGO stacks cards when you put more than one on the bottom of your library after I played out Shelldock Isle, I would've drawn Karakas the next turn to take out yours and cast Emrakul via Shelldock Isle for the win. So, I also learned something there --> good games :)

Still, build Goblins pls! :)

Monkey_Island
07-19-2013, 05:36 AM
Oh, I did! Both games were very thought-provoking and close. E.g. G2: If I had known how MTGO stacks cards when you put more than one on the bottom of your library after I played out Shelldock Isle, I would've drawn Karakas the next turn to take out yours and cast Emrakul via Shelldock Isle for the win. So, I also learned something there --> good games :)

Still, build Goblins pls! :)

Even with that, did you have enough mana to activate the Shelldock? If I remember, I think I had a Suppresion Field in play... Anyway I had a good time too!

As for Goblins, I'd love to but the Ports and Wastelands are fucking expensive...

dunk
07-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Wow, 27 in the daily right now. No idea if that is your work, but def a good sign to see an event with way more than just 16 peeps! ( obv I missed it myself, was too busy playing Modern :/ ).

Barook
07-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Last week we had 19 people, so it's definitely a good sign. People can rely on this event firing, so it's natural that it attracts more people.

I'm currently 2-1. If I'm going 2-2 again after some bullshit asspull of my opponent in G3, I'm going to kick a kitten.

Edit: Went 2-2 as expected. Lost against Death & Taxes who had always a bazillion Revokers, but at the very least, I didn't lose against an asspull this time.

Ebinsugewa
07-26-2013, 01:32 AM
Send me an invite at this same name if you would please. I haven't played in ages, and probably can't afford to play Legacy at the start but I'd like to give MTGO another shot. What's the best Pauper deck to make some tickets? Thanks.

Barook
07-28-2013, 12:30 PM
6 people already in an hour before. Let's see how many people we can get this time.

Ebinsugewa
07-31-2013, 02:55 AM
Can someone send an invite to Ebinsugewa por favor? Gracias.

EDIT: Thanks.

Barook
08-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Lots of Legacy DEs firing this week - even DEs that were formerly dead. It's probably thanks to Lejay actively promoting them, too.

Looks like Legacy slowly starts thriving again online.

Keep up the good work!

yugular
08-26-2013, 03:16 AM
Send me an invite at this same name if you would please. I haven't played in ages, and probably can't afford to play Legacy at the start but I'd like to give MTGO another shot. What's the best Pauper deck to make some tickets? Thanks.

Mono green stompy is cheap to build and able to put results in DE. If you have tix to spare then Mono U Delver is good choice.

I could also use a clan invite. yugular in modo too.

Backseat_Critic
09-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Is this still happening? If so, how do I join?

Cheers,
Backseat Critic

Maro_
09-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Is this still happening? If so, how do I join?

Cheers,
Backseat Critic

post here:
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?26272-MTGO-account-names/page2

or send a message via MTGO to _barook_

hi :)

Barook
09-16-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm currently moving, so don't expect invites before the weekend.

Backseat_Critic
09-17-2013, 02:12 PM
No worries. Let me know when you can resume.

Cheers,
Backseat Critic

Barook
09-21-2013, 04:09 AM
No worries. Let me know when you can resume.

Cheers,
Backseat Critic
I'm currently at home - if you post your MTGO name, I can invite you.

I'm moving in tomorrow and should have internet if I'm lucky, too.

Backseat_Critic
09-21-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm currently at home - if you post your MTGO name, I can invite you.

I'm moving in tomorrow and should have internet if I'm lucky, too.

Backseat_Critic

I'm in Spain next week, but might be able to get on today or tomorrow. I noticed you're based in Europe too, so we may have similar schedules. Thanks for the invite, and good luck with the move!

Cheers,
Backseat Critic

Julian23
09-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Julian23, looking forward to the invite. Looks like this time, the clans seems to actually live for more than a month. Good! :-)

I'm rocking Elves!. If anyone's up for some playtesting or streaming sessions, I'm available on weekends as well as between 6pm - 1am CEST. For comparison, it's 11:18am right now.

Morgothian
10-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi guys, since there is not a specific section for MODO I am posting here.

My name is David and I am a Magic player and researcher. At the moment I am collecting data on gaming behaviors and habits of both online and offline Magic players, although I am particularly interested in MTGO players.

I am interested in assessing if the time spent playing and testing has indeed a concrete effect on cash wins and Pro Points accrual.

I would really appreciate if you may spend 5 to 8 minutes to fill this short survey on Magic: the Gathering:

https://fbeunimelb.asia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5jehViNdLzTNjkV

There are also questions testing your draft skills (Theros first pick anyone?), so it's even entertaining!

I will be very happy if you could complete and circulate this survey! Thanks! :D

Kayradis
10-22-2013, 07:05 AM
Alright.

Im getting myself a new PC tonight. Ill probably gonna start grinding in the upcoming days.

Again, do anybody got Natural Orders I could borrow?

yugular
12-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Anyone else in the clan from Europe? It seems there is very randomly anyone else than me in the clan room online. I was just wondering if its because I am on a very different timezone than other players...

Rudiker
07-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Trying to join your clan and run some testing for legacy… have most legacy decks built.
Name is Rudiker87 on mtgo

Xanthos
07-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Still waiting for my invite, courierv90 on MTGO

Barook
07-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Sorry, but the Clan isn't currently working. The old non-Clan bug seems to be back.

Oh, the joys of V4.

Raystar
04-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Sorry, but the Clan isn't currently working. The old non-Clan bug seems to be back.

Oh, the joys of V4.

You mean we have to manually add people from the list?