PDA

View Full Version : [SCD] Thopter Foundry

phazonmutant
07-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Ok, not technically SCD. I'm really talking about Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek. Arianrhod mentioned that he boarded in 2 Foundries and a Sword in a recent event against Fish and thought they were really good. Is there any particular reason why this hasn't been explored in the past?

I can think of a few - the men decks play Null Rod / Stony Silence, everyone plays artifact destruction already, and the combo is vulnerable to some grave hate, but with the efficient tutors in the format, it can be a powerful combination.

One package that he metioned might be 2 Thopter Foundry, 1 Sword of the Meek, 1 Skullclamp, 2 Stoneforge, plus whatever random men you might have in your deck. It doesn't seem right out in a UW Tezz build.

alphastryk
07-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Thopter / Sword / Clamp seems insane, but maybe the cards are too clunky / it's too slow?

Arianrhod
07-10-2013, 09:04 AM
TBH I'm actually thinking about trying some kind of a Esper Bomberman shell, but instead of going Bombing, running the Thopter package. The Mana Drain/FoW + Jace + Trinket Mage shell has obviously proven to be very good, and incorporating Thopter/Sword into that shell seems like a natural fit.

Thopter/Sword is also invulnerable to most "casual" graveyard hate (Tormod's, Relic, Nihil, Surgical, etc). And if you can get people to board in RIP/Leyline vs your blue control deck in vintage, you're doing it right because outside of Thopter/Sword, those cards do NOTHING.

EDIT: Oh, and as an additional bonus, when I got Thopter/Sword online, people had NO IDEA how to react to it because it's never been seen in Vintage before. There's a great benefit to your opponent not knowing how your combo works.